Rectory Road, Penarth, CF64 3AN
Find Alexandra Park on Map
Alexandra Park is a well-preserved Edwardian public park in an attractive location overlooking the Bristol Channel, retaining many of its original features.
The park was laid out in 1901-1902 and was extremely popular from the beginning. In 1924, the Cenotaph, by Cardiff-born sculptor and medallist Sir William Goscombe John, was erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the First World War. Also in this decade, the Garden of Remembrance and topiary work were added.
The original octagonal bandstand was removed in the 1950s and a square wooden shelter survived until 1994, when it was replaced with the present structure.
Some of the seating, the park gates and boundary fencing are original. The initial intention was to make the planting of botanical interest but this was not achieved and planting was sparse at first. Many of the conifers, such as the pines (pinus nigra), Lawson cypress (chamaecyparis lawsoniana) and Monterey cypress were planted just before or after the First World War.
Alexandra park underwent restoration works during autumn 2012, transforming the garden and restoring it to its former glory. The restoration can be viewed here.
Green Flag Park
The Edwardian park has been awarded the coveted national Green Flag Award.