Notice of Civil Partnership

The information provided on these pages is for general guidance purposes only and is not a complete or exhaustive explanation of current Civil Partnership Law or Legislation.

  • If you intend to register your civil partnership in a Register Office or Approved Premise within England or Wales, you must book the officiating Civil Partnership Registrar of that District to attend your civil partnership. This is to ensure the availability of a registrar to conduct your ceremony and register your civil partnership. 

  • Before you can register a civil partnership, you must give formal notice of your intention to enter into a civil partnership. You do this by attesting a “Notice of Civil Partnership”. Parties subject to immigration control will need to attest their legal notice at a Designated Register Office (DRO).

  • It is a legal requirement that notice of civil partnership is given separately by each person to the Superintendent Registrar in the Registration District where each person usually resides, preferably on the same day.

  • Each person must have been living in the Registration District, in England or Wales, for 7 clear days immediately preceding giving notice. If one person resides elsewhere in England or Wales, for at least 7 days, a similar notice must be entered at the Register Office for the other District.

  • Once the notices are given a minimum of 28 clear days must elapse before the civil partnership can take place. After the 28 clear days are completed, a schedule will be produced by the Superintendent Registrar in the district where the civil partnership is due to take place. In certain circumstances, proposed marriages and civil partnerships involving a non-EEA national may have the notice period extended from 28 to 70 days where the Home Office has reasonable grounds to suspect a sham and decides to investigate this.

  • Notices of civil partnership are valid for one year and couples will be expected to give their notices as soon as it is legally possible in order to secure a booking.

  • When you give notice in Wales, you may do so either in English, or in English and Welsh. If notice is to be given bilingually, both the person giving notice and the authorised person you see must be able to understand the Welsh language. All registration authorities in Wales have at least one Welsh speaking authorised person or deputy.

  • The fee to give legal notice is £35.00, this is a statutory legal fee and non-refundable. The fee can be paid by cash or debit/credit card. Please ensure that you know the precise name and address of the venue where you are registering your civil partnership as any errors in ‘place of civil partnership’ cannot be rectified once the notice has been attested.

  • When giving legal notice you must provide evidence of name, surname, date of birth, nationality, place of residence and ending of previous marriage or civil partnership, if applicable.

  • Please allow 30 minutes (one hour per couple) for your legal notice appointment. You will be asked to re-book your appointment should you attend your appointment without the documentary evidence required.


* There maybe couples overseas who have already made arrangements to come to England and Wales to marry or register a civil partnership on the basis of a 15 day notice period , and to do this so as to give notice and marry/ register a civil partnership on the same visit. Transitional arrangements are in place for this circumstance, for the Registrar General to reduce the notice period, providing that the couples can give evidence that their arrangements (such as the marriage or civil partnership booking) were made before the 2 March 2015.


Documents to be Produced at the time of Giving Notice

British and EEA Nationals

When giving legal notice you must provide evidence of name, surname, date of birth, nationality, place of residence and ending of previous marriage or civil partnership, if applicable. Please ensure that you provide one of the original documents (or groups) of documents listed in each of the columns in the evidence table. A more detailed list of prescribed evidence can be found in the prescribed evidence booklet.


* Persons under 18 years of age must also submit written consent from the appropriate parent/guardian/authority. The Superintendent Registrar has forms for this purpose.


Non EEA Nationals 

All non EEA nationals and their partners wishing to register their civil partnership in England and Wales will be required to attend a Designated Register Office (DRO) to give their Notice of intention to form a civil partnership. Persons subject to immigration control must satisfy qualifying conditions before being able to marry or register a civil partnership and must be in possession of a marriage or civil partnership visa prior to travelling to the UK in order to qualify for leave to enter.


If you think you may be subject to immigration control and wish to marry or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom, please refer to the guidance on this subject as set out at UK Border Agency andImmigration Act 2014 Changes


Alternatively, you may wish to telephone UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766 (Monday to Thursday 0900-1645, Friday 0900-1630). Or contact your local Register Office for information regarding your nearest Designated Register Office. (N.B. There is no Designated Register Office within the Vale of Glamorgan).


We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.


Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution. Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years.


Share on facebook Like us on Facebook