The Ceremony

Whether you wish to have a short informal ceremony with only a few guests, or an enhanced formal one with many guests, our dedicated Registration Team will be happy and pleased to help you plan the ceremony of your dreams.


Each ceremony will be unique; we have additional elements which you may, if you wish, add to the ceremony with poetry and readings; or you may prefer to write your own special and meaningful words to one another. Whatever you decide upon, our experienced and friendly team will help you plan your perfect ceremony.


If you have a poem or reading in mind, then we would need to see a copy prior to the day of the civil partnership.


Music can be provided for your ceremony at the Register Office. You can however, bring along your own (please check this with the Superintendent Registrar prior to the day of the wedding). If however, you are registering your civil partnership at one of our Approved Premises, then generally speaking you will need at least three pieces of music to be played during the ceremony:

  • for the entrance
  • during the signing of the Schedule
  • on departure


Please liaise directly with the venue, prior to the day of the wedding, to confirm who will be responsible for playing and organising the music you have chosen.


Please note: any enhancements chosen, including any music, poetry or readings, must be secular and contain no real or perceived religious connotations. The omission of selective references or verses from a piece would not be deemed to alter it's overall religious character.


If you have chosen to perform your civil partnership at the Register Office or one of our Approved Premises, we will ask you to come in to the Register Office for an informal discussion on the content of your civil partnership ceremony (pre-civil partnership interview). This will be with the Civil Partnership Registrar conducting your ceremony.


  • Bilingual Ceremony
    If you are a fluent Welsh speaker, perhaps would like to have your ceremony conducted in Welsh. If so, please discuss this with the Superintendent Registrar when booking an appointment.
  • What should I do if I don’t speak English very well?
    If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help you with the registration, please ask a relative or friend to accompany you to the Register Office when you give notice and also on the day of the ceremony. Please remember you must attend personally to give your legal notice at the Register Office. You cannot ask a relative or friend to attend instead of you.
  • What should I do if I require special assistance?
    If you require any assistance, when giving legal notice, please discuss your needs with a registrar when you telephone to book an appointment.
  • Parking Facilities

    Limited car-parking facilities are available for customer use (accessible via Dock View Road) at the Civic Offices, Monday – Friday, with an overflow car park at Barry Leisure Centre also available. Unlimited spaces are available at the Civic Offices at weekends.


    Visitors should report to the reception desk on the ground floor, where you will be directed to our offices.


Share on facebook Like us on Facebook