With our stunning coast and countryside, the Vale of Glamorgan is a wonderful place to hold your wedding. No matter what your dream of the perfect wedding is, it is sure to come true here in the Vale of Glamorgan.


You may wish to have a discreet ceremony carried out as quickly as possible, or perhaps you are planning ahead. Whatever your arrangements, whatever your choice, we are here to ensure that your wedding is carried out both in accordance with the law and, just as importantly, your wishes, to the high standards of which we are justifiably proud.


The information included on these pages is for general guidance purposes only and is not a complete or exhaustive explanation of the Marriage Laws of England and Wales.



Marriage at the Register Office

The register office has three rooms licensed for marriages with the main room accommodating approximately 80 guests. 


The Ceremony

Dyffryn Gardens

There is a diverse range of licensed venues including castles, listed buildings, gardens, a lighthouse, vineyard, Grecian temple plus many more.


Approved Premises

Book our Attendance 

We are happy to make a provisional booking for those couples who wish to plan well in advance. 


To book our attendance at your wedding please contact:


  • 01446 700111



  • Standard Conversion

    This is a simple administrative process where you will both attend an appointment at any register office and complete a declaration with details about you and your civil partnership. The documents that you will need to produce include


    - evidence of your name and date of birth - current passports or birth certificates

    - evidence of your address - recent bank statement or utilities bill

    - an original civil partnership certificate


    A legal declaration will then be drawn up for you to both sign with the Superintendent Registrar.


    If you wish you can choose to say the declaration wording aloud to one another before signing the conversion document. Your marriage is then registered and a marriage certificate will be issued.


    This standard conversion fee is £45.00 and £4.00 for each marriage certificate ordered before the conversion.

  • Conversion followed by a Ceremony

    There are two stages to this type of conversion. The first part is where you will both need to attend an appointment at any register office and complete a declaration with details about you and your civil partnership. The documents that you will need to produce include

    - evidence of your name and date of birth - current passports or birth certificates

    - evidence of your address - recent bank statement or utilities bill

    - an original civil partnership certificate


    The signing of the declaration can then be followed by a ceremony at venues where same sex couples are able to marry. For example

    - a register office

    - an approved premise for marriages

    - a religious building registered for the solemnisation of marriages of same sex couples

    - a Jewish synagogue where the consent of the governing authority has been obtained

    - a place of meeting of members of the Society of Friends where the consent of the governing authority has been obtained


    Following the ceremony your marriage is registered, and a marriage certificate can then be issued. Your marriage certificate can either be collected or posted.

    Fees apply to this service.


    If you are in a civil partnership and are considering converting this to a marriage, please contact the Register Office for more guidance and information at

  • Register Offices and Approved Premises

    You may have a civil marriage in any Register Office or Approved Premises in England or Wales.


    Marriages contracted in Approved Premises are only lawful if the building has been granted a licence by the local authority. Licences are valid for three years. You must ensure, therefore, that the Approved Premise has a licence that is still valid on the day of your marriage.


    You must check the availability of the superintendent registrar and registrar to perform your ceremony and register your marriage, and book the registrars attendance accordingly.


    You must book the venue.


    You must give notice of your intention to marry in your local Register Office.

  • Church of England or Church in Wales

    To marry in a Church of England or Church in Wales church you must either live in the parish, or be on the Church Electoral Roll.


    You must get the permission of the Vicar.


    You may get married by banns, common licence or Superintendent Registrar's Certificate. This will need to be discussed with the Vicar. However, different arrangements apply when at least one of the parties marrying are a non-EEA national.


    The marriage will be registered by the church officials and there is usually no need to involve your local Superintendent Registrar.

  • Churches, Chapels and other Religious Buildings

    You may marry in any religious building in the Registration District in which you live.


    You must obtain the permission of the minister, priest etc. 


    You may only marry in a religious building in a different Registration District if either of you usually worship in that building, or, if there is no building of your religion in the District where you live.


    You must give formal notice of your intention to marry, in person, at your local Register Office.


    You may need to arrange for a registrar from your local Register Office to attend to register your marriage. Please seek advice from your minister, priest etc or discuss with your local registrars.


    Please note that religious organisations can hold marriage ceremonies for same sex couples if they specifically opt to do so, with written authorisation from their governing authority to allow for a place of worship to be registered for same sex weddings. It is a matter for the individual religious organisations whether they wish to do so. The religious organisation will need to apply to the General Register Office (GRO)to be registered for same sex marriages.

  • Marrying Abroad

    If you have any questions about marrying abroad, you should contact the Consul of the foreign country or the British Consul where the marriage is to take place. This is required to check what must be done to comply with the law of that country. 


    You may also wish to visit the Government website which offers advice on marrying abroad.

    You may be asked to obtain a 'certificate of no impediment'. This is a document required by some foreign authorities to enable a non-national to marry in their country and, under certain circumstances, can be provided by your local registrars. If you are asked to provide one, you should contact your local Register Office.


    If you have been asked to provide an Apostille (which is simply formal confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp appearing on a document is genuine), further information can be found at  “The Legalisation Section of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office” on telephone 03700 002244 or email


    Please note that a court can only determine the validity and recognition in English law of a marriage, which has taken place outside the United Kingdom under foreign local law.  However, generally speaking, such a marriage will be recognised as valid provided that it complied with the law of the country where it took place and the couple had the legal capacity to marry under their law(s) of domicile.


    If you are still concerned about the validity of the marriage you should seek legal advice. 


    Overseas marriages may not be registered at a Register Office.  









Share on facebook Like us on Facebook