Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE)
All Local Authorities are required to constitute a Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE) within their local area.
Composition of SACRE
Representation on SACRE is required as follows:
- Such Christian and other religious denominations as, in the opinion of the Local Authority will appropriately reflect the religious traditions in the area.
- Such associations representing teachers as, in the opinion of the Local Authority, ought to be represented having regard to the circumstances of the area.
- The Local Authority.
The Vale of Glamorgan Council determined that its SACRE should comprise of six elected members representing the local authority, twelve representatives of Christian and other religious groups and eight representatives of teachers’ associations. Four co-opted places are available to be decided upon at the committee’s discretion.
Following SACRE’s recommendation to the LA to review its membership, the committee has been pleased to welcome new members creating a wider breadth of representation. SACRE is continuing to seek members to fill the remaining places.
Membership of SACRE
The list of members of the Vale of Glamorgan SACRE is set out in the Annual Report 2015-16.
Functions of SACRE
The main function of a SACRE is to:
- advise the LA on collective worship in county schools and the religious education to be given in accordance with the agreed syllabus including methods of teaching, advice on materials and the provision of training for teachers
- consider whether to recommend to the LA that its current agreed syllabus should be reviewed by convening an Agreed Syllabus Conference
- consider whether the requirement that religious worship in a county school should be ‘broadly Christian in nature’ should be varied (determinations)
- report to the LA and the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) on its activities on an annual basis
SACRE meets once per term at various locations around the Vale of Glamorgan.
SACRE Annual Report 2015-16