Children will usually transfer to Secondary school at the age of 11.
All Vale schools receive funding from the Local Authority. All schools follow the National Curriculum, and are regularly inspected by ESTYN. Schools are defined as follows:
- Community schools - run by the Local Authority.
- Foundation schools - managed by their own governing body which employs the staff and sets the admission criteria.
- Voluntary-Aided schools - mainly religious or faith-based schools, managed by their own governing body.
- Voluntary Controlled schools - similar to voluntary-aided schools but are run by the Local Authority.
- Special Needs - community special needs schools cater for children with special educational needs.