Carer's Emergency Card
The Carer's Emergency Card (CEC) is a joint project with Cardiff Social Services which helps plan for someone to be looked after if something unexpected happens to their carer.
One of the biggest worries for carers is how the family member or friend who relies on them would cope if anything happened to their carer.
carers-cardThe CEC does not require a carer's assessment. The CEC card:
- Is the size of a credit card and can easily be carried in your purse or wallet
- Displays telephone numbers to call in the event of an emergency
- Has a unique registration number
The card is only used when you are unable to make arrangements yourself.
If none of the nominated people are available, or if there is no-one suitable that you can nominate, the response will be according to the usual social services referral processes.
For more information about the CEC and how it works please download a copy of our CEC leaflet or contact the team:
Eligibility for CEC
If you can answer YES to the following, you can register for the card scheme:
- You and the person you care for are both aged 18 or over.
- The person you care for lives in Cardiff or the Vale of Glamorgan.
- You look after a relative, friend or neighbour who would not be able to manage at home alone either because of old age, physical/mental impairment, long-term illness or drug/alcohol problem.
Apply for CEC
There are two ways to register for the scheme.
If you or the person you care for is being assessed by social care services, ask the person completing the assessment to register for the scheme.
Alternatively, you can request a registration form by calling your local authority:
Using Your CEC
When you need to use your CEC please contact:
During Office Hours (Closed on Bank Holidays)