Adult Placement Service
Adult Placement, also known as Shared Lives, enables vulnerable adults to receive support and accommodation within a family environment provided by approved hosts
Our adult placement service is regulated by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW). We welcome applications from people from all walks of life, regardless of their background, age, sexuality, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, employment and marital status.
What we look for:
- Hosts from a wide range of backgrounds and have varied work and life experiences and interests
- Hosts who are able to provide short breaks and day/evening support to service users
- Long term and short term hosts: Some of the service users live with hosts for many years and some stay for one or two years while they learn the skills to live on their own.
In order to become a host there is a rigorous assessment process and training programme, which can take several months. We expect complete openness from you about your life, background and experiences. The Council will:
- Ensure your accommodation is suitable
- Make various checks
- Seek professional and personal references
Become a Host
To become a host please complete and application form:
Once we are satisfied that you are the right people, we will present our report to an Independent Approval Panel who will decide whether they agree with us.
If everyone agrees, you will become an approved host for one year.
Approval as a host is reviewed annually.
Hosts will receive an allowance for the service you provide which is subject to special tax arrangements.
Service User Referrals
Referrals are accepted from social work teams. The service is available for people aged over 18 with learning disabilities, people who have experienced mental health problems, have dementia and for people who have physical disabilities.
Service users pay rent and a contribution to the service they receive.
If you do not have a social worker please contact:
A copy of our Annual Inspection Report, national minimum standards and regulations can be found on the CSSIW website. Our Statement of Purpose is updated annually.