Make a Complaint or Seek Advice

If you are unhappy and have a complaint that cannot be sorted out by your carer or social worker, you can contact the Children’s Complaints Officer.


The Children’s Complaints Officer will try and sort out your complaint. You can pick up a complaints leaflet from your social worker or you can contact the complaints officer:


Vale of Glamorgan Council,

Docks Office,

Subway Road,


Vale of Glamorgan


Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales

  • 03000 628888

Voices From Care (Cymru)


  • 029 2045 1431

The Children’s Commissioner’s Team

  • 01792 765600

The Children's Commissioner

The Children’s Commissioner for Wales represents the interests of children and young people through talking and listening with them and the adults who work with them.


There are a team of people who work with the Children's Commissioner to help promote your rights in Wales. The staff you are most likely to meet work within the ‘communications team’ who are often out and about across Wales. The team will listen to your views about things happening that concern you.


The team would also like to hear from you if you have something good to say about how children and young people are treated in Wales.


If you have something you would like to share with the Children's Commissioner or the team, you should contact:


Childrens Commissioner for Wales

Oystermouth House

Charter Court

Phoenix Way


Swansea SA7 9FS