Notice of Meeting ANNUAL MEETING OF THE COUNCIL OF THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN
Date and time
of Meeting WEDNESDAY 13TH MAY, 2015 AT 6.05 P.M.
Venue COUNCIL CHAMBER, CIVIC OFFICES
MEMBERS ARE ASKED TO NOTE THE TIME OF THE MEETING. PRAYERS WILL BE SAID AT 6.00 P.M.
1. Apologies for absence.
2. (a) To hear the roll call of members.
(b) To receive declarations of interest under the Council’s Code of Conduct.
(Note: Members seeking advice on this item are asked to contact the Monitoring Officer at least 48 hours before the meeting.)
3. To elect a Mayor for the ensuing municipal year in accordance with the provisions of Sections 22 and 23 of the Local Government Act 1972.
4. To appoint a Deputy Mayor for the ensuing municipal year in accordance with the provisions of Section 24 of the Local Government Act 1972.
5. To receive any announcements from the Mayor or Head of Paid Service.
Reports of the Managing Director –
6. Executive Arrangements : Cabinet Member Portfolios and Payment of Senior Salaries –
To note the position of the Leader and to be informed by the Leader of the names of Councillors chosen to be the Deputy Leader, Members of the Cabinet, together with their portfolios and, where appropriate, designation as 'Champions'. (N.B. Details of the proposed payment of all Senior Salaries are also set out in the report.)
Any changes in committee memberships in relation to Agenda Items 7 and 8 below, as notified by Group Leaders will either be circulated to Members in advance or tabled at the meeting.
7. Non-Executive Arrangements –
To appoint Scrutiny Committees together with their terms of reference and to appoint their membership for the ensuing municipal year:
(a) Scrutiny (Corporate Resources)
(b) Scrutiny (Economy and Environment)
(c) Scrutiny (Housing and Public Protection)
(d) Scrutiny (Lifelong Learning)
(e) Scrutiny (Social Care and Health).
Quasi-Judicial Committees and Other Bodies –
8. To appoint the following bodies together with their terms of reference and to appoint their membership for the ensuing municipal year:
(a) Planning Committee
(b) Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee
(c) Licensing Committee
(d) Appeals Committee
(e) Investigating Committee
(f) Standards Committee
(g) Standards Committee Appointment Panel
(h) Standards Committee Appointments Committee
(i) Discretionary Housing Payments Review Committee.
Committees / Sub Committees / Panels
(j) Audit Committee
(k) Community Liaison Committee
(l) Democratic Services Committee
(m) Democratic Services Sub-Committee
(n) Early Retirement / Redundancy Committee
(o) Joint Consultative Forum
(p) Senior Management Appointment Committee
(q) Trust Committee
(r) Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison Committee
(s) Welsh Church Act Estate Committee
(t) Appointment of LA Governors - Advisory Panel.
Other Bodies (Including Joint Bodies)
(u) Glamorgan Heritage Coast Advisory Group
(v) Equalities Consultative Forum
(w) Central South Consortium Joint Education Service Joint Committee
The revised Governance Model for the Consortium includes a streamlined Joint Committee, which consists of a reduced number of Leaders or nominated representatives. Each constituent Local Authority appoints one Member, which (according to the National Model) should be the Leader or nominated representative. The Council’s existing representative is the Cabinet Member for Children’s Services.
9. Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee : Membership and Appointment of Deputies –
The Joint Working Agreement provides for each of the three constituent Authorities to appoint substitutes for its two named Members. The Council’s two existing representatives are the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety and the Chairman of the Licensing Committee.
10. To note the dates of ordinary meetings of the Council to be held in the ensuing municipal year:
24th June, 2015
28th September, 2015
16th December, 2015
2nd March, 2016
27th April, 2016.
11. To elect Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of the following Committees for the ensuing municipal year:
(d) Community Liaison
(f) Welsh Church Act Estate
(g) Democratic Services Committee
(i) Discretionary Housing Payments Review
(j) Early Retirement / Redundancy
(k) Joint Consultative Forum
(l) Senior Management Appointment
(m) Voluntary Sector Joint Liaison
(n) Glamorgan Heritage Coast Advisory
A schedule is attached, indicating why certain committees have not been included in the above list.
12. Any other items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part I).
THE PUBLIC AND PRESS MAY BE EXCLUDED FROM THE MEETING DURING CONSIDERATION OF THE FOLLOWING ITEM(S) IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100A(4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972.
13. Any other items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part II).
7th May, 2015
Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985
Inspection of background papers - In the first instance,
enquiries should be made of
Mr. J. Wyatt, Tel: Barry (01446) 709408.
Distribution: To all Members of the Council.