Notice of Meeting COUNCIL
Date and time
of Meeting MONDAY, 29TH SEPTEMBER, 2014 AT 6.05 P.M.
Venue COUNCIL CHAMBER, CIVIC OFFICES
MEMBERS ARE ASKED TO NOTE THE TIME OF THE MEETING. PRAYERS WILL BE SAID AT 6.00 P.M.
1. Apologies for absence.
2. (a) To hear the roll call of Members.
(b) To receive declarations of interest under the Council’s Code of Conduct.
(Note: Members seeking advice on this item are asked to contact the Monitoring Officer at least 48 hours before the meeting).
3. To approve the minutes of :
(i) the meeting held on 25th June, 2014
(ii) the Special Meeting held on 2nd September, 2014.
4. To receive any announcements from the Mayor, Leader, Members of the Cabinet and the Head of Paid Service and to receive any petitions submitted by Members.
5. Questions from the public.
Two questions have been received and are attached.
6. To consider the following Notice of Motion (submitted by Councillors Dr. Ian Johnson and Chris Franks)
'That this Council:
Notes the importance of the Vale of Glamorgan’s libraries for community activities and their contribution to improving adult and child literacy, and therefore expresses concern at proposals that will lead to an over-reliance on volunteer staff and cuts to hours in this well-liked service.'
Reports of the Leader -
7. Welsh Local Government Association’s Alternative Approach to the Williams Report.
8. Welsh Government White Paper – 'Reforming Local Government' : Council Response.
Reports of the Managing Director -
9. Scrutiny Committees’ Annual Report May 2013 - April 2014.
(N.B. The Annual Report itself can be found separately attached to the back of the agenda).
10. Change to Membership of Democratic Services Committee.
Report of the Monitoring Officer -
11. Review of the Council’s Constitution/Officer Delegations.
Report of the Section 151 Officer -
12. Statement of Accounts 2013-14.
13. To consider the following proposals from the Executive in relation to the Council’s Policy Framework and Budget (copies of the relevant minutes are attached).
N.B. The reports which are the subject of the references in respect of Agenda Items 13(a) - (f) above have already been circulated to Members with the Cabinet Agendas for 30th June, 2014, 28th July, 2014, 11th August, 2014 and 22nd September, 2014. **Further copies are available from the Cabinet Office if required**.
Members are asked to note that the call-in period in respect of Agenda Item 13(f) will not expire until 17:00 on Tuesday 30th September 2014. Members who wish to call that item should, therefore, if the call-in proforma has not been submitted by the time of the Council meeting, indicate their intention to call-in the item at the Council meeting itself, following which the item in question will be withdrawn.
14. To inform the Council of the use of the Urgency Decision Procedure under Article 13.9 of the Constitution.
15. To receive questions and answers pursuant to Council Procedure Rules 8.2, 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6 (i.e. questions on any matter in relation to which the Council has powers or duties or which affects the Vale of Glamorgan).
As previously notified to Members, all questions which were received by 12.00 noon on Monday, 22nd September, 2014 have been included in the agenda itself. Unless specifically requested by the Member concerned, those questions will not be read out, but the Cabinet Member will provide a verbal reply. Questions received after 22nd September, but by the deadline of 12.00 noon on Friday, 26th September (in accordance with the Council’s Constitution) will be tabled and read out in accordance with normal procedures.
[Question Received After Agenda Distribution]
16. Any items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part I).
THE PUBLIC AND PRESS MAY BE EXCLUDED FROM THE MEETING DURING CONSIDERATION OF THE FOLLOWING ITEM(S) IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 100A(4) OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972.
17. Any items which the Mayor has decided are urgent (Part II).
23rd September, 2014
Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 -
Inspection of background papers - In the first instance, enquiries should be made of Mr. J. Wyatt Tel: Barry (01446) 709408
Distribution: To all Members of the Council