EARLY RETIREMENT/REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 7th September, 2015.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman) and Councillor G. John.
351 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE -
These were received from Councillors H.J.W. James, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen and Mrs. A.J. Moore.
352 MINUTES -
RESOLVED - T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 13th July, 2015 be approved as a correct record.
353 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -
A declaration of interest was received with regard to Agenda Item No. 8 from Councillor Mrs. P. Drake in that one of the applicants was personally known to her.
354 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC -
RESOLVED - T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
355 DETERMINATION OF VOLUNTARY EARLY RETIREMENT ON THE GROUNDS OF REDUNDANCY - R (DSS)(EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) -
Consideration was given to the proposal for voluntary early retirement on the grounds of redundancy as a result of proposed restructuring proposals within the Social Services Directorate.
RESOLVED - T H A T redundancy be approved for R as detailed at Appendix A to the report with effect from 18th September, 2015 on the basis of Scheme D, Voluntary Early Retirement on the grounds of redundancy.
Reason for decision
To support the Council in achieving the financial efficiencies and organisational changes to maintain sustainable service delivery.
356 APPLICATION FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT - K (HoF) (EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) -
Consideration was given to the determination of an application for flexible retirement to support the transition to permanent retirement more effectively which the report outlined was considered to be in the best interests of the employee and the Council. The phased retirement over a period of 12 months would allow the Council to continue to make use of the employee skills set and extensive knowledge base.
(1) T H A T flexible retirement for K in accordance with the Council’s Policy subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment would be terminated for a different reason, be approved.
(2) T H A T the use of the appropriate delegated powers be endorsed to enable K to reduce the employees contracted hours from 37 to 22 hours per week from the week commencing 5th October, 2015 and that the retirement of K from employment with the Council takes place on or before 30th September, 2016.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement application within the regulations and to allow for eventuality that may not be known to date.
(2) To achieve the necessary change to the employees working hours to assist service continuity, provide appropriate support to assist the employee’s transition to retirement and to contribute to the savings of the service.
357 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY - B (DEHS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) -
Consideration was given to the proposal to determine the potential redundancy of B within the Shared Regulatory Service of the Directorate of Environment and Housing Services.
Committee was advised that following the deployment of the Shared Regulatory Service between Bridgend, Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan Councils and successful TUPE transfer of staff on 1st May, 2015 a restructure consultation period had commenced to deliver a more effective service provision and to realise the required savings within the new service. The ongoing restructure involved the reduction in both the number of positions and staff moving from that of professional to a technical level to achieve the required savings. The current available budget did not allow for an extension of temporary contracts for staff with less than four years’ continuous service.
(1) T H A T the statutory redundancy payment as detailed at Appendix A to the report be approved under Scheme E of the Council’s approved policy in respect of B on the grounds of redundancy following the cessation of the temporary contract effective during week commencing 14th September, 2015 (subject to any changes as a consequence of resolution 2 below).
(2) T H A T should alternative employment be found for B prior to termination taking effect that the notice be extended to cover any trial period if necessary and Resolution (1) above be revoked together with the potential redundancy payment should the trial period(s) prove successful.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the termination of the temporary contract of employment in accordance with the Council’s Early Retirement/Redundancy Termination Policy.
(2) To comply with the terms of the Council’s Avoiding Redundancy Policy in respect of B and to apply appropriate strategies to maintain employment and minimise potential redundancy costs.
358 DETERMINATION OF VOLUNTARY EARLY RETIREMENT / VOLUNTARY REDUNDANCY APPLICATIONS – BUILDING CLEANING AND SECURITY REVIEW – B, C1, C2, C3, E, I, J1, K, M, AND S; C4, C5, D, J2, R AND T (DEHS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPHS 12a, 13 AND 14) -
Following the normal procedure of the disclosure of the names of the applicants at the meeting to the Members present, a Member declared a personal and prejudicial interest. As a result of this declaration, the meeting subsequently became inquorate with the report having to be referred for consideration at a future meeting of the Committee.