EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 21st December, 2015.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, H.J.W. James, G. John and Mrs. A. Moore.
Also present: Mrs. A. Watkins (Wales Audit Office).
707 APOLOGY FOR ABSENCE –
This was received from Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
708 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 7th December, 2015 be approved as a correct record.
709 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
710 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
711 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY / EARLY RETIREMENT (HSRS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to nine applications for early retirement on the grounds of redundancy in respect of nine employees within the Council’s Environment and Housing Directorate.
Tabled at the meeting was a supplementary report which updated matters in respect of applicants O and W.
Having regard to the above, it was
(1) T H A T the applications in respect of H and S1 be approved on the basis of Scheme E of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy (as set out in Appendix A to the report) and Scheme D in respect of the application in respect of T and within the financial parameters as set out in Appendices D, E and F of the report.
(2) T H A T the applications in respect of M and S2 be approved in accordance with Scheme D of Bridgend Council’s Discretionary Scheme (as set out in Appendix B to the report) and within the financial parameters set out in Appendices G and H to the report.
(3) T H A T the applications in respect of W and O be deferred to allow further clarification to be sought in respect of Bridgend Council’s Discretionary Scheme Policy and that the applications be submitted to the next meeting of the Committee.
(4) T H A T the applications in respect of D and S3 be approved in accordance with the Redundancy provisions set out in Cardiff Council’s Discretionary Scheme (as set out in Appendix C to the report) and in accordance with the financial parameters set out in Appendices K and L to the report.
(5) T H A T the applications as set out Resolutions (2) and (4) above be approved in accordance with the authority provided by Council on 4th March, 2015.
Reasons for decisions
(1,2,3,5) To support the Council (and partners to the new Shared Regulatory Service) in achieving the financial efficiencies and organisational changes necessary to maintain single service delivery.
(4) To seek clarification of the application of the discretionary arrangements in respect of Bridgend Council.
712 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY – TEAM WITHIN THE REGENERATION SERVICE (MD) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to the proposed potential redundancies of ten officers in the above service as a result of potential cessation of grant funding.
(1) T H A T a statutory redundancy payment be approved in respect of employee A, P1, P2, B, E, D1, D2, M, T and J on the basis of Scheme E, termination on the grounds of redundancy as of 31st March, 2016, subject to Resolution (2) below.
(2) T H A T notices of termination of employment be extended in the event that funding is forthcoming and in anticipation of the likelihood of a restructure of the team and, if necessary, Resolution (1) be revoked together with the redundancy payment for any employee successful in securing employment through that restructure or through redeployment.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To support the cessation of delivery of the service as a result of grant funding no longer being available.
(2) To comply with the terms of the Council’s Avoiding Redundancy Policy.