EARLY RETIREMENT / REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 25th January, 2016.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, G. John and Mrs. A. Moore.
766 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –
These were received from Councillors H.J.W. James and Mrs. M. Kelly Owen.
767 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 21st December, 2015 be approved as a correct record.
768 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
769 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
770 APPLICATION FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT – W (HAS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to an application for flexible retirement of one officer within the Directorate of Social Services.
(1) T H A T the application for flexible retirement be approved and the contract of employment be reduced to three days a week (22 hours) with effect from 1st February, 2016 until 31st December, 2016 in accordance with the Council’s policies subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment were to be terminated for a different reason.
(2) T H A T the use of the appropriate delegated powers be endorsed to secure the necessary changes to the establishment and to reduce the number of contracted hours of the individual from 37 to 22 hours per week.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement within the regulations and to allow for eventualities that may not be known at this time.
(2) To achieve the necessary changes to the employee’s working hours, to assist service continuity, provide appropriate support to assist the employee’s transition to retirement and to contribute to the savings of the service or other reasons.
771 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY / EARLY RETIREMENT – A, E, G, H, L, O, R, S AND W (HSRS) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
Consideration was given to applications in respect of the above employees for early retirement on the grounds of redundancy.
(1) T H A T it be noted that the applications in respect of E, H and L had been withdrawn.
(2) T H A T the application in respect of A be approved on the basis of Scheme E of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy (set out in Appendix A to the report) and within the financial parameters set out in Appendix E of the report.
(3) T H A T the applications in respect of W and O be approved on the basis of Schemes B and C respectively of Bridgend Council’s Discretionary Scheme (as set out in Appendix B to the report) and within the financial parameters as set out in Appendices G and I of the report.
(4) T H A T the application in respect of S be approved in accordance with Scheme D of Bridgend Council’s Discretionary Scheme as set out in Appendix B to the report, subject to no suitable alternative employment being found within nine months of this Committee’s resolution.
(5) T H A T the applications in respect of G and R be approved in accordance with the redundancy provisions set out in Cardiff Council’s Discretionary Scheme (Voluntary Severance Policy in the Redundancy / “Interests of the efficiency”) and in accordance with the financial parameters set out in Appendices J and M of the report.
Reason for resolutions
(1-5) To support the Council (and partners to the new Shared Regulatory Services) in achieving the financial efficiencies and organisational changes necessary to maintain sustainable service delivery.
772 APPLICATION FOR REDUNDANCY – D (HOF) (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) –
The Committee had previously approved the redundancy of the above employee at its meeting held on 10th March, 2014 effective from 1st July 2014. The Committee subsequently approved the extension of the notice period up to 31st March, 2015 at its meeting held on 2nd June, 2014.
Committee was now being asked to reaffirm its original decisions and confirm a revised redundancy date in respect of D of 31st March, 2016 and in accordance with the financial parameters set out in Appendix A to the report.
RESOLVED – T H A T a revised redundancy date of 31st March, 2016 in respect of D be approved with all other redundancy terms as approved by the Committee on 10th March and 2nd June, 2014 being reaffirmed.
Reason for decision
To retrospectively reflect the need for the postholder to remain with the Council for an additional year and the subsequent requirement for an extension of this notice period.