EARLY RETIREMENT/REDUNDANCY COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 27th March, 2017.
Present: Councillor S.C. Egan (Chairman); Councillor Ms. B.E. Brooks (Vice-Chairman); Councillors G. John and A.P. Riley.
976 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –
These were received from Councillors H.J.W. James, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen and Mrs. A. Moore.
977 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 20th February, 2017 be approved as a correct record.
978 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
979 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC –
RESOLVED – T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
980 APPLICATION FOR FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT – C (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 13 AND 14) (MD) –
Consideration was given to an application for flexible retirement in respect of one employee within the Directorate of Resources (Regeneration).
(1) T H A T the flexible retirement of C be approved in accordance with the Council’s policy subject to no other circumstances arising in the interim whereby the employment were to be terminated for a different reason.
(2) T H A T the use of the appropriate delegated powers be endorsed, to enable C to reduce their contracted hours from 37 to 18.5 hours per week from week commencing 1st April, 2017, with the retirement of C from the employment with the Council taking place on or before 31st March, 2019.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the flexible retirement application within the Regulations and to allow for all eventualities that may not be known at this time.
(2) To achieve the necessary change to the employee’s working hours, to assist service continuity, provide appropriate support to assist the employee’s transition to retirement and to contribute to the savings of the service and enable improved succession planning.
981 DETERMINATION OF REDUNDANCY / EARLY RETIREMENT – W (EXEMPT INFORMATION – PARAGRAPHS 12, 13 AND 14) (HAS / LM) –
Consideration was given to an application for redundancy in respect of W within the Social Services Directorate.
(1) T H A T the application in respect of W be approved on the basis of Scheme E of the Council’s Discretionary Redundancy Policy (as set out in Appendix A) and within the financial parameters as set out in Appendix B to the report subject to no suitable alternative employment arising prior to the date of termination and to Resolution (2) below.
(2) T H A T should alternative employment be found for W that the notice be extended to cover any trial period if necessary and that Resolution (1) be revoked, together with the redundancy payment should the trial period(s) prove successful.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To support the Council in achieving financial efficiencies following the Cabinet decision on 9th January to cease internal provision of the Meals on Wheels Service.
(2) That the individual would no longer be at risk of redundancy in this eventuality and therefore would not be entitled to a redundancy payment.