Top

Top

ENVIRONMENT AND REGENERATION SCRUTINY COMMITTEE

 

Minutes of a meeting held on 14th February, 2017.

 

Present:  Councillor Mrs. A. Moore (Chairman); Councillor Mrs. P. Drake (Vice-Chairman); Councillors A.G. Bennett, G.A. Cox, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen, A.G. Powell, A.P. Riley, G. Roberts, S.T. Wiliam and M.R. Wilson.

 

Also present:  Councillors G. John, N.P. Hodges, P.G. King and N. Moore.

 

 

799            MINUTES – 

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 6th December, 2016 be approved as a correct record.

 

 

800            DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -

 

No declarations were received.

 

 

801            BARRY ISLAND BEACH HUTS (REF) –

 

Cabinet had referred the report to the Scrutiny Committee for consideration prior to making a final decision and a copy of the reference from Cabinet from 6th February, 2017 was tabled at the meeting for Members’ information.

 

In presenting the report, the Head of Visible Services and Transport advised that the 24 beach huts at Barry Island (12 large and 12 small) had been available for rental since Easter 2015.  Bookings for the huts were taken online or over the telephone via the Council’s Contact Centre.  During the year the beach huts had been further marketed by the Tourism and Events Team and a specific brand had been successfully developed for them.  The beach hut branding could be found at Appendix 2 to the report.  Committee was informed that marketing the beach huts had been integral to the marketing activity undertaken by the Tourism and Events Team in 2016 and the huts were fast becoming an iconic symbol featured in not only the Council’s marketing work, but also that of Visit Wales.  The Tourism and Events Team also had flexibility to use the huts for regeneration and tourism activities.  The demand for beach hut rentals had increased significantly since the introduction of the new revised Policy for 2016/17 and, not including the beach huts let via annual rentals from 1st April to 31st December, 2016, 846 bookings had been made.  When compared to the previous year over the same timeframe there had been an increase in bookings for the huts of over 200%.  Appendix 4 to the report gave a detailed breakdown, month by month, of rentals for both the large and small huts.

 

The daily hire and annual season ticket prices for 2015 / 2016 had been deliberately set on the low side to help stimulate demand.  Committee was informed that it was however, clear from the short time it took to let all the annual season tickets and the significant increase in daily hires, that there was opportunity to now raise these prices to a level more fitting with the market. The beach huts were still a reasonably new addition to the facilities at Barry Island and it was likely to take a number of years to find the most appropriate price / demand balance for them. From the cost and income table detailed in the resources section of the report, it was evident that the beach hut service made a small surplus during the year. However it was noted that energy costs were not included. Whilst this was likely to be a relatively minor cost in terms of the overall expenditure, a greater provision  needed to be made for reactive and planned repairs for the buildings going forward.

 

For the 2017 / 2018 period it was proposed to increase the rental fees as follows:

 

Daily Hire

Spring / Summer

Current

Proposed 2017 / 2018

Small Hut

£10

£15

Large Hut

£20

£25

 

(If available, huts may be hired by the half day at 50% of the prices shown.)

 

Daily Hire Autumn / Winter

Current

Proposed 2017 / 2018

Small Hut

£5

£5

Large Hut

£10

£10

 

(There was no half day rate for “out of season” hires, the full daily rate was payable).

 

Annual Season Tickets

Current

Proposed 2017 / 2018

Small Hut

£350

£450

Large Hut

£500

£600

 

 

It was further proposed that from April this year all annual tickets not required by the existing ticket holders would be sold to applicants via a random selection process.

 

In future licences would last for a maximum of one year and therefore every year from 2018 all the annual season ticket huts (six small and six large) would be available to anybody over the age of 18 who had suitably registered. The arrangement for the random selection had yet to be determined, though this could be an electronic process or a public draw.  In any event, governance of the registration and draw arrangements would be suitably robust to ensure probity and fairness.

 

All Members agreed that the beach huts were a tremendous asset to the Authority and much discussion had taken place previously by the Committee in relation to the marketing, charges etc. of the beach huts.  The Chairman stated that she was pleased to see that electricity supply  had now been installed in the beach huts which had been an issue raised by the Committee.

 

Following a query from a Member as to whether any consideration had been given to allocating a beach hut for educational purposes, the Head of Service in response advised that one of the beach huts was available for tourism / events activities and  as such could be open to any school, although it was not the intention to dedicate a beach hut to any particular school due to the sheer numbers that probably would require one each.

 

In referring to the pricing policy for the beach huts the Head of Service advised that some research had been undertaken with other Local Authorities the result of this being that the prices detailed were now considered to be the right prices for Barry Island.  The Cabinet Member for Visible, Leisure and Regulatory Services, with permission to speak, stated that the Council needed to ensure there was money for repairs in the future which would be taken  from the hire charges in order to deal with any maintenance issues required.

 

A Member also referred to the upkeep of the beach huts, stating that he would wish to see some sort of detail in the Terms and Conditions of Hire that any person hiring the beach huts should be required to ensure that they are left in a clean and tidy state.  Although the current Terms and Conditions stated that the hirer should not do anything untoward in the beach huts, it was agreed that a firmer condition in relation to keeping the properties clean and tidy should be included in the documentation. 

 

A number of Members reiterated that they had received good comments from users and a Member further took the opportunity to congratulate the onsite worker for the way in which the Beach Huts were maintained . Comments were however made about the particular issue of cigarette butt ends being dropped on the beach and whether anything further could be done about this type of littering.  The Head of Service confirmed that dropping litter of this nature was a criminal offence.

 

A Member also stated that it was important to allow for flexibility within the beach hut scheme and for officers to be allowed manage the beach huts as appropriate. It was therefore important to ensure that the charging regime was in line with “what the market would bear” and that it was also important to learn from any complaints received.

 

Councillor N.P. Hodges, not a Member of the Committee, with permission to speak, advised that there had recently been some confusion with information provided on the Council’s website in respect of  renewing season tickets as the website indicated that they were available from 1st March whereas Appendices 1 and 5 referred to 1st February to 31st March.  The Head of Service agreed to look into the matter and rectify the matter if necessary. 

 

Following discussions regarding the potential for retail offerings at the site, it was suggested that the Tourism and Regeneration Officers speak to local retailers to encourage the submission of  a business improvement bid and that further discussions with regard to this be considered. 

 

Having fully considered the report and the reference from Cabinet, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T  Cabinet be requested to include in the terms of hire that all hirers must ensure that the beach huts are kept in a clean and tidy condition. 

 

(2)       T H A T consideration be given to a business improvement bid being submitted to encourage the retail offer at the site as outlined in the above minute.

 

(3)       T H A T the details of the operation of the beach hut service for the 2016/17 period be noted. 

 

(4)       T H A T the Beach Huts Rental Policy for 2017/18, as attached at Appendix 5 to the report, be endorsed subject to Recommendation (1) above.

 

(5)       T H A T the above recommendations be referred to Cabinet for consideration.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       To ensure that the beach huts are maintained in as good a condition as possible.

 

(2)       In order to further the retail area of the district.

 

(3)       For information.

 

(4)       Following consideration of the proposed Rental Policy under discussion at the meeting.

 

(5)       For Cabinet approval.

 

 

802            FLOOD ALLEVIATION SCHEMES UPDATE –

 

As part of the work programme, the Chairman had requested that a presentation be provided to the Scrutiny Committee detailing the flood alleviation schemes taking place throughout the Vale.  Prior to the meeting that morning, a site visit had also taken place at Coldbrook Catchment and the Chairman took the opportunity to thank the officers in attendance and to ask that the Committee’s thanks be conveyed to the representatives from Dyer and Butler who were present at the site visit and who provided Members with detailed answers to questions.

 

The Chairman, in further referring to the Coldbrook Catchment site visit that morning, also advised of a call-in that had been received from Councillors N.P. Hodges, S.T. Wiliam, Dr. I.J. Johnson and C.P. Franks.  However, the Managing Director had advised that as the urgent decision procedure had been used, (paragraph 7.24.2 of the Council’s Constitution, page 52)  that the call-in procedure would not apply where the decision being taken by the Executive was urgent.  However, the Chairman had requested that the  Members be invited to the site visit together with invites being extended to local Ward Members and that they be informed that a presentation was also to be received by the Scrutiny Committee which was to include Coldbrook Catchment. The Chairman also referred to an email that had been received from Cllr R Bertin ( a ward member) who had been unable to attend neither the site visit or the meeting querying the costs of the scheme which would be addressed during the meeting

 

Due to the fact that the Director of Environment and Housing had been involved in the Coldbrook Catchment Scheme for some time, the Chairman stated that she had also asked that the Director be in attendance at the Scrutiny Committee meeting for the presentation and subsequent discussions.

 

Mr. Clive Moon, the Principal Engineer for Coastal and Flood Risk Management, in presenting the information, advised that the role of the Council in flood alleviation was as Lead Local Flood Authority, Land Drainage Authority, Highway Authority and as a landowner.  One of the presentation slides referred to the flooding incident that had taken place between 9th  November and 21st November, 2016 which was highlighted for Members, whilst other slides referred to the Vale Flood Alleviation Schemes taking place throughout the Vale as detailed below

 

           Coldbrook Cachment Barry

           Llantrithyd Road, St. Hilary

           Llancadle

           Lougher Place, St. Athan,

           Old Wick Road, Llantwit Major,

           Readers Way, Rhoose

           Smithies Avenue, Sully,

           Penarth Road, Penarth  

           Windsor Road, Penarth.

 

As Lead Authority the Council  had the statutory responsibility to investigate significant flooding, it had permissive powers to develop flood alleviation schemes, such schemes ranging from minor improvements to multi-million pound civil engineering works e.g. Coldbrook Catchment and Members were informed that although some  risk could be managed it could never be eliminated. 

 

In referring to the Coldbook scheme, the Principal Engineer advised that it was a complex scheme and there had been significant traffic management issues to address as well as undertaking site / street clearance in a number of areas.  In referring to Readers Way, Rhoose, he stated there had been a number of environmental restrictions in this area that needed to be taken into account.  At Smithies Avenue, Sully, there had been an obstruction of surface water in the area and the solution provided had been to install a new positive drainage system in, which had now oversized the pipework to ensure it would function even with a lot of shingle in it.  At Llantrithyd Road, St, Hilary, the property on the right hand side of the picture on the slide had been vulnerable to flooding and by negotiation with the property owner a soakaway had been installed. 

 

In referring to Windsor Road, Penarth, Members raised the issue of the amount of leaf fall in the area and asked whether opportunities for street cleaning could be undertaken on a more regular basis.  The Head of Visible Services and Transport advised that it was a well-known area for maintenance for the Council and on regular occasions the sweeper was sent out to address the matter, although she stated that there were difficulties due to the fact that significant leaf fall could not be predicted. 

 

Although acknowledging that the cost of the Coldbrook scheme had escalated and there had been a number of changes within the scheme since its initial planning, Committee was informed that Natural Resources Wales had requested that the site be reassessed with the request that a significant increase in the water storage area be established.  Such increases in the complexity of the scheme including the various issues that were found during its construction e.g. large amounts of concrete being found in culverts that had to be dispersed together with a number of minor design changes, ground conditions etc., had resulted in an additional £1.5m  being requested. 

 

However, the Principal Engineer and the Director of Visible and Housing Services advised that not all of the £1.5m was as a result of construction costs, £200k had seen an increase in design costs, there was also an increase to provision and issues at the end of the scheme in acquiring land with legal proceedings having to be undertaken.  The Director reiterated that one of the main issues had been a number of delays and that in particular a number of issues had not been known until work had commenced and holes in the ground dug.  He reassured Members that he was taking the £1.5m seriously and he had called in the Audit team to ensure that everything within the contract had been done correctly and that there would also be a report to the Audit Committee.  He said that he was confident that everything was in order and that robust tests had been applied by management and the contractor.  The Director reiterated that the bulk of the funding was Welsh Government funding, with 15% being funded by the Council.  He also stated that Welsh Government were not afraid to come forward with their own auditors if they considered it necessary.  The reason the urgency procedure had been requested to be used was that there was a danger of the contractors not being paid and as a result, costs would become larger if they had had to come off site.  The information was brought to the Director’s attention  on 16th December and the Cabinet report was presented on 23rd January, with it being noted that the Christmas period was also during that time.  He had considered possibly pulling the contractor off site, but as that would have left some areas unfinished should there have been heavy rainfall at that time, further flooding would have occurred. 

 

Councillor N.P. Hodges, not a Member of the Committee, granted permission to speak, took the opportunity to thank the Committee for the site visit that morning and to the officers for their detailed responses in relation to the monies being spent.  He took the opportunity to query that he had been informed that Welsh Government were looking at new advice in relation to the building of culverts, to which the Principal Engineer responded that the WLGA had established a Regional Flood Risk Management Group where generic by-laws were being put together but that this was in the early stages and that further discussion was to take place.  The Principal Engineer also advised the Committee that his Department was responsible for commenting on any planning applications and that the by-laws would be very useful in this process.

 

Councillor P. King, Cabinet Member for Building Services, Highways and Transportation,  took the opportunity to praise the residents who had tolerated the work over the recent months and in particular to the residents who had not been the subject of flooding but who had no doubt been inconvenienced by the ongoing work at Coldbrook.  Newsletters had also been sent to local residents by the contractor advising of the programme and keeping them up to date.

 

In conclusion, the Chairman thanked all present for the information provided at the meeting and to all who had attended the site visit, with it subsequently being

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T Committee receives a further update report later in the Municipal year and that any lessons learned from any of the schemes be included in that report, for future consideration.

 

Reason for recommendation

 

To inform Members and to ensure that any lessons learnt are considered.

 

 

803            HIGHWAYS RESURFACING PRESENTATION –

 

Having been advised that the Operational Manager for Highways and Engineering was unable to be present at the meeting, it was

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the Highways Resurfacing Presentation be deferred until the next meeting of the Scrutiny Committee to be held on 14th March, 2017.

 

           

804            VISIBLE SERVICES AND TRANSPORT – PROPOSED FEES AND CHARGES FOR 2017/2018 (REF) –

 

The reference from Cabinet of 6th February, 2017 was tabled at the meeting for Members’ information, it being noted that Cabinet had referred the report to the Scrutiny Committee for its consideration.

 

The report detailed proposed changes in service charges for functions managed by Visible Services and Transport for the financial year 2017/18 and the proposed charges for services were set out in the appendices attached to the report at Appendix 1 – Waste Management and Cleansing, Appendix 2 – Highways, Engineering and Transportation, Appendix 3 – Leisure and Appendix 4 – Porthkerry Cemetery.  Committee was advised by the Head of Service that the fee increases outlined in the report assisted in reducing the budgetary pressures in the Directorate.

 

Of note was the fact that all income from fees, including grant income was being reviewed by the Business Transformation Project which was underway for Visible Services and Transport.  As in previous years, to encourage greater commercial recycling, it was proposed that the Waste Management and Cleansing charges remain unchanged.  It was also being proposed to retain the current 2016/17 peak and off peak car parking and quarter charges to all coastal parks and to introduce a charge for the return of illegal and unauthorised banners or similar placard boards  from public highways at a cost of £65 per banner.  It was further proposed to introduce a £15 per key charge for the replacement of lost or damaged alley gate keys and that all other charges in the Highways, Engineering and Transportation area be changed by the amount shown in Appendix 2 to the report.

 

For Leisure Services, Appendix 3  proposed the majority of charges in leisure be subject to small charging increases, and at Porthkerry Cemetery, Appendix 4, the charges proposed were those put forward by Barry Town Council who managed the Cemetery on the Council’s behalf.  Committee was advised that the rates were in line with those charged by Barry Town Council at their cemetery in Barry. The Head of Service took the opportunity to refer Members to Appendices 1 to 3 in relation to proposed increases in charges for filming throughout the Vale.

 

Members supported the increases in relation to filming, advising that in many instances some areas where filming took place became a significant inconvenience to local residents as well as the fact that the Authority should be taking a more pro-active approach due to the fact that the sums currently being charged were significantly low to what they should be in their view.  However, on the whole, it was noted that in general from experience and comments received the film crews in the area were very polite and very aware of the issues facing local residents. However, Members commented that the charging policy should reflect the scale of the operation that was being undertaken.

 

In referring to charges for skip hire, again Members considered that these should be reviewed and increased in line with what the market would be prepared to bear and in particular consideration should be given to charging on a daily basis.  Aware that for some aspects Temporary Traffic Orders were required and the cost of such was borne by the Authority, these issues should be taken into consideration when charging regimes were being considered.

 

It was unanimously agreed that the Authority should definitely consider reviewing charges in line with what the market could bear, however, following discussion it was accepted that a significant review and research undertaken to what other Local Authorities charged would not be able to be put in place by 1st April and the fees and charges were required to be in place by that date. 

 

Following a query as to why there was no increase in coastal car parking charges, Members were informed that the Council was keeping an eye on what other resorts did and it was important to encourage people to use the facilities and visit the area for the economy.

 

With regard to sports fees, the Director was confident that the charges could be met by the users but agreed to provide further explanation to users on the charges and what the money would be used for in the future.  It was also suggested that a number of the figures be rounded up or down prior to 1st April  or at least this be considered for future fees and charges. A Member considered that it would indeed be more appropriate to make the charges more user friendly and easier for accountancy purposes. 

 

A number of Members agreed that the charges for the Vale of Glamorgan for illegal banners on public highways was necessary with Committee being advised that the costs for which, would be covered during waste collection rounds.  The Head of Service was satisfied that profit could be made from such charges without affecting the rate payer. 

 

Following full consideration of the report, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the charging and fee proposals for Visible Services and Transport as set out at Appendices 1, 2 and 3 of the report be agreed for 2017/18. 

 

(2)       T H A T, notwithstanding recommendation (1) above, a full review of all fees and charges be undertaken as outlined within the comments above, having particular regard to what the market would be prepared to bear.

 

(3)       T H A T prior to consideration by Cabinet, the review referred to in Resolution (2) above be also referred to the Scrutiny Committee for consideration. 

 

(4)       T H A T the recommendations above be referred to Cabinet for consideration and approval.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       In order that the fees and charges can be agreed for 1st April, 2017.

 

(2)       In order to consider new fees and charges pertaining to what the market could bear.

 

(3)       For the Committee to consider in detail prior to any approval by Cabinet.

 

(4)       To obtain Cabinet approval for the charging and fees proposed for 2017/18.

 

 

805            REVENUE AND CAPITAL MONITORING FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL TO 31ST DECEMBER 2016 (DEH) –

 

The Operational Manager for Accountancy, in presenting the report, advised that the report detailed the variances in each service area as outlined below :-

 

Highways and Engineering – There was currently a £36k favourable variance against the profiled amended budget, the main reason being as a result of vacant posts currently within the department. However key posts had recently been filled by Agency staff and it was therefore currently projected that the budget would outturn on target.

 

Waste Management – There was currently an adverse variance of £29k to the profiled amended budget.  The variance to date was due to overspends on staffing and transportation costs.  Round changes within waste collections had been  implemented on 1st August, 2016 in order to reduce the resources required to provide the service.  The service had taken several months to become imbedded while staff learned their new rounds, however, it was anticipated that vehicle requirements would reduce by two.  This would also reduce the requirement for four agency staff.  From March 2017 the Green Waste collection service would be double-shifted and an afternoon shift would commence.  This would reduce the requirement for hired vehicles in 2017/18.  It was currently anticipated that there would be a £70k adverse variance at year end which would be met from a favourable variance within Transportation.

 

Transportation – There was currently a favourable variance of £77k against the profiled budget.  Staffing costs within the division had been  lower than budgeted for to date. The income received for producing bus passes was also higher than budgeted, which had contributed to the underspend to date

 

Regeneration – The budget covered Economic Development, Countryside and Tourism and Events functions and there was currently a small favourable variance on this budget.  Rental income at the Council’s VEC workshops remained behind target as it was proving difficult to let the persistently vacant units which were in need of some refurbishment.  A capital allocation of £100k had however been identified and was included in the current year's Capital Programme in order to invest in the fabric of the buildings to increase the rental income potential at the site.  

 

Development Management – There was an adverse variance relating to the Local Development Plan (LDP) as expenditure was delayed from 2015/16, however, funding was set aside in reserves for this purpose in the last financial year and would therefore be drawn down to offset this position.  Planning fee income remained below profile.  

 

Attached at Appendix 2 was a list of savings to be achieved in the current year with the Operational Manager confirming that whilst progress had been made towards achieving the savings, there had been delays in commencing some of the schemes and therefore the full year target was not anticipated to be achieved in the current year.  In referring specifically to the installation of LED lighting, the Head of Service advised that she could assure Members that a tender process had recently been completed. and a favourable supplier was due to be appointed with a start date to commence at the end of March. 

 

In acknowledging that agency staff were being utilised within the Highways and Engineering Department, a Member queried whether the Department should be considering the use of graduate trainees or placement engineers to fill opportunities and to offer on the job training.  The Head of Service in response advised that Cabinet and the Committee was due to receive a report on reshaping of the Visible Services Department and suggested apprenticeship schemes and a reduction in the use of agency staff would be part of that report.

 

With specific reference to a number of schemes and slippage a Member queried the current position in relation to works at Ystrdowen and Welsh St. Donats to Cowbridge scheme.  The Head of Service agreed to look into the matter and provide a written response to Members. 

 

Referring to waste collection, a Member queried what assurances officers could give to the public in considering the reduction of waste recycling vehicles by two.  The Head of Service in response advised that any change to any scheme takes between six to eight weeks to embed and the department would be looking to make better use of the vehicles with double shifting.  The Chairman commented that double shifting in a number of areas of Barry would be difficult where there were narrow roads. The Head of Service confirmed that the rounds had been considered and alternative arrangements would be made if necessary.

 

Following a query regarding the commencement of the opening of the Cross Common Road Bridge, it was noted that no definite date had been agreed but Members would be informed of such in due course.  The Chairman however advised that she had received a response from the Operational Manager for Highways and Engineering which advised that following completion of the scheme he would be looking to open the road as soon as possible subject to confirmation of a temporary TRO for closure of the existing Cross Common Road River Bridge.  Completion of the of the deed of dedication between legal and landowners was expected to be with the Legal team imminently. .  The Chairman also commented on the work, aware that this had been undertaken by Vale of Glamorgan staff and congratulated the Head of Service and her team on the quality of the work that had been undertaken.

 

Appendix 3 to the report detailed the financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st December, 2016.  In referring to the underspend for work to the Wick to Ewenny Highway of £40k, Members agreed that the 40k should be vired to carry out additional works for resurfacing which should also include pavements.

 

Having considered the report, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

T H A T the position with regard to the 2016/17 revenue and capital monitoring be noted.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

To apprise Members.

 

 

806            TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT TASK AND FINISH GROUP OF THE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – UPDATE ON ACTIONS UNDERTAKEN (DEH) –

 

Committee was updated on the progress made in 2016 on the implementation of the actions contained within the Traffic Management Task and Finish Group Report (2014) and the Local Transport Plan (LDP) (2015).

 

The reports at Appendices A and B provided a detailed update on the Implementation Plan.  At Appendix A the recommendations highlighted in Green were noted as either completed or were on track for completion, the recommendations highlighted Amber were currently being progressed / actioned, and those highlighted Red had not yet started.

 

Although the Appendices also illustrated the actions that had not yet been progressed, there was however a commitment to consider these actions over the coming years within the lifespan of the LTP report.

 

The Principal Transport and Road Safety Officer, in presenting the report, advised that in March 2016 a recommendation had been made that as the majority of actions had been significantly progressed or were complete and that the majority of the actions were duplicated within the adopted LTP, the two workstream reports were to be combined to enable Committee to receive updates in one single report from 2016/17 onwards.  It was noted therefore that Appendices A and B included all actions from both documents.

 

Of note was the fact that all improvement actions contained within the Plan had been progressed through a variety of funding sources as follows:

 

            Internal capital or revenue budgets

            Transport Grant funding

            Section 106 funding

            Section 278 Highways Works as part of new developments

            Other grant funding.

 

In acknowledging the work that had been undertaken to date, the Chairman however queried IP2, the recommendation to receive a report at a future meeting apprising Members of the discussions held with representatives from Emergency Services.  The Chairman considered that the work of Emergency Services was an important aspect for the Council and that such reports should be presented to the relevant Scrutiny Committee on a regular basis.  It was noted that with regard to  IP8 – funding arrangements and feasibility studies in relation to traffic management issues following the winding up of SEWTA, would be tied in with the feasibility works in relation to the costings for Metro.  The Chairman also took the opportunity to thank the officers for the weekly update that was now being provided to all Members as a result of the review on highways issues which was also an extremely useful management information tool . The Head of Service also acknowledged that the mobile signs were shortly to be purchased, with two to be used on Port Road.

 

In considering the report, a Member raised concern at the Barons Court Junction, particularly when traffic was turning right into Penarth. Although they were fully aware that the scheme had been originally devised by Cardiff Council this was a significant issue and further consideration at this junction should take place.  The officer agreed to look into the matter and report back with any suggested proposals.  The Cabinet Member for Building Services, Highways and Transportation informed the Committee that funding had been secured to model the Merrie Harrier Junction and that public consultations would also take place with regards to Dinas Powys Transport Network.

 

Following consideration of the report, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T  the Homes and Safe Communities Scrutiny Committee be requested to consider receiving an Emergency Services report on a regular basis to inform Members.

 

(2)       T H A T the report and update on the Transport Task and Finish Group Implementation Plan as detailed at Appendices A and B to the report be approved.

 

(3)       T H A T a further update report on delivery of the Transport Task and Finish Group Implementation Plan as part of the Local Transport Plan Update Report be presented to the Committee in February 2018.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       For information.

 

(2)       To apprise Members of works carried out in 2016/17.

 

(3)       In order that the Scrutiny Committee can monitor progress on the Plan.

 

 

807            3RD QUARTER SCRUTINY DECISION TRACKING OF RECOMMENDATIONS AND UPDATED WORK PROGRAMME SCHEDULE 2016/17 (MD) –

 

The purpose of the report was to advise Members of progress in relation to the Scrutiny Committee’s recommendations and to confirm the work programme schedule for the Scrutiny Committee for 2016/17 for the third quarter, October to December 2016 attached at Appendix A and the updated work programme schedule for 2016/17 attached at Appendix B to the report.

 

Committee was requested to consider the recommendations, review progress and assess whether further action may be required, ensure the required action was undertaken and to confirm which recommendations were to be agreed as completed. 

 

The Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer confirmed that a joint letter from the Chairman of the Environment and Regeneration and Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committees had been signed and would be forwarded to Welsh Government.

 

In noting there was no meeting scheduled for April 2017 in the Council’s calendar of meetings, it was agreed that this be removed from the work programme with the Chairman suggesting in order to deal with the proposed business  that the March meeting commence at 5.00 p.m.

 

Having considered the contents of the report, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the recommendations deemed as completed at Appendix A and as outlined below be accepted :

 

11 October 2016   

Min. No. 441 – New   Arrangements for Waste Collection in the Vale – Recommended that a   further update report on the new arrangements be presented to the Committee   in due course.

 

Added to work programme   schedule.

Completed

Min. No. 443 – Quarter 1   (2016-17) Performance Report: An Environmentally Responsible and Prosperous   Vale (MD) – Recommended

(2)   That the outstanding reports as referred   to above and as detailed within the Committee’s Work Programme be scheduled   to be presented.

[Road resurfacing, Beach Huts Policy   progress report]

 

 

 

 

Added to work programme   schedule.

Completed

08 November 2016

Min. No. 507 – Sense of   Place Led Regeneration in Barry (REF) – Recommended

(1)   That the comments of the Scrutiny   Committee be referred to Cabinet and to the Place Board when established in   order that they can consider the comments of the Scrutiny Committee when   taking forward the Sense of Place project.

  

Cabinet, on 12th   December, 2016, noted the contents of the report.

(Min. No. C3390 refers)

Completed

Min. No. 508 – Town   Centre Framework – Implementation Update (REF) – Recommended

(2)   That further updates continue to be   presented to the Scrutiny Committee in due course.

 

 

 

Added to work programme   schedule.

Completed

 

Min. No. 509 – Civil   Parking Enforcement and Town Centre Car Parking Update (REF)

Recommended   to Cabinet – That a root and branch review of the current agreement with   Bridgend Council be undertaken in order to ascertain whether the Vale Council   is receiving value for money to include the provision of further data on   enforcement undertaken and the cost of the service.

 

  

Cabinet, on 12th   December, 2016, noted the contents of the report and resolved that a further   report be brought back to Cabinet in due course.

(Min. No. C3391 refers)

Completed

Min. No. 510 – 2nd   Quarter Scrutiny Decision Tracking of Recommendations and Updated Work   Programme Schedule 2016/17 (MD) – Recommended

(3)   That the Forward Work Programme schedule   at Appendix C be amended as outlined above and uploaded to the Council’s   website.

[Removal of the Request   for Consideration regarding Waste Collection Arrangements; the resurfacing   report due to be presented to the December meeting to  include details of the three-year plan and   queried the current status of the Merrie Harrier/Llandough Traffic Model.]

 

  

 

 

Uploaded to the Council’s   website.

Completed

06 December 2016

Min. No. 579 – Initial   Capital Programme Proposals 2017/18 (DEH) – Recommended

(1)   That a joint letter from the Chairmen of   the Environment and Regeneration and Corporate Performance and Resources   Scrutiny Committees be forwarded to Welsh Government calling for a fund to be   established for infrastructure issues, in particular for road and pavement   resurfacing.

 

 

Comments were referred to   and noted by the Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny at its meeting   on 13th December, 2016.

(Min. No. 617 refers)

The Democratic and Scrutiny   Services Officer confirmed that a joint letter from the Chairman of the   Environment and Regeneration and Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny   Committees had been completed and would be forwarded to Welsh Government.

Completed

 

(2)       T H A T the updated work programme shown at Appendix B be approved and uploaded to the Council’s website.

 

(3)       T H A T the Environment and Regeneration Scrutiny Committee meeting scheduled for 14th March 2017 commence at 5.00 p.m. and all Members of the Council be informed accordingly.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       In recognition of progress to date.

 

(2)       For information.

 

(3)       In recognition of the anticipated reports to be presented and to include the Highways Resurfacing presentation.

 

 

 

Share on facebook Like us on Facebook