Top

Top

COMMUNITY LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

Minutes of a meeting held on 16th October, 2013.

 

Present: Councillor C.P.J. Elmore (Chairman); Councillor K.J. Geary (Vice-Chairman); Councillors Ms. B.E. Brooks, Mrs. C.L. Curtis, R.F. Curtis, Mrs. V.M. Hartrey, N.P. Hodges, H.J.W. James, Ms. R.F. Probert, R.P. Thomas, R.L. Traherne and M.R. Wilson.

 

Representatives of Town and Community Councils: Councillors S.C. Egan (Barry Town Council); J.R. Harris (Cowbridge with Llanblethian Town Council), M. Marsh (Llantwit Major Town Council), M. Cuddy (Penarth Town Council); W.J. Bellin (Colwinston Community Council); A.R. Robertson (Dinas Powys Community Council), H.L. Baker (Ewenny Community Council), Mrs. L.R. Watson (Llancarfan Community Council), P. King (Llandough Community Council), J. Teague (Llanfair Community Council), G.S. Smith (Llanmaes Community Council), Mrs. G. Marks (Michaelston le Pit with Leckwith Community Council), C. Tutton (Pendoylan Community Council), D. Pugh (Penllyn Community Council), J. Parry (Peterston Super Ely Community Council), Ms. A. Barnaby (St. Athan Community Council), Mrs. G. Rawson (St. Nicholas and Bonvilston Community Council, M. Garland (Sully and Lavernock Community Council), G. Duffield (Welsh St. Donats Community Council), I. Moody (Wenvoe Community Council), Mrs. E. Jervis (Substitute Wenvoe Community Council) and R. Ball (Wick Community Council).

 

Also present:  Councillors G. John and N. Moore (Vale of Glamorgan Council).

 

 

507     APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE -

 

These were received from Councillor R.J. Bertin (Vale of Glamorgan Council), Councillors M. Hurst (Llandow Community Council) and Mrs. S. Lewis (St. Brides Major Community Council).

 

 

508     MINUTES -

 

AGREED - T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 9th July, 2013 be accepted as a correct record.

 

 

509     DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -

 

Councillor R.L. Traherne declared an interest in Agenda Item No. 5 - Vale of Glamorgan Local Development Plan: Deposit Draft Plan 2011 - 2026 in that he owned land and a burial ground. 

 

Councillor K.J. Geary declared that with regard to Agenda Item No. 5 - Vale of Glamorgan Local Development Plan: Deposit Draft Plan 2011 - 2026 his daughter had been party to the report.  Having sought advice from the Monitoring Officer he advised the Committee that based on his daughter's involvement in drafting the report and associated documentation this did not constitute a personal interest under the Members Code of Conduct and as such he could speak and vote on the matter.

 

 

510     POLICE MATTERS -

 

Inspector Chris Owen referred to a recent initiative undertaken by a local PCSO involving stolen bikes and to date the scheme that had been introduced had resulted in two arrests. An anti-social behaviour operation had also taken place in Penarth and had been a good success. Operation Gabalfa in respect of burglaries had shown a marked increase in detection rates with an arrest of a well known person to the police having been made and on Barry Island another operation had also been running from March to August which had again proved successful.  

 

The Police Force had also instigated various measures to assist with scrap metal dealership and unlawful waste.

 

In referring to events such as Bonfire Night, Halloween, Armistice, Rugby internationals and the festive season he stated that the force would be commencing operations to police these events over the forthcoming weeks.

In response to a query from a Member it was confirmed that the Vale of Glamorgan Council had paid for two officers to work on the bank holidays on Barry Island and as to whether this would be considered again in the future this would be a matter for further discussion. Following a specific request from the Member from Peterston Super Ely Community Council as to why no PSCO was present in the village the officer agreed to look into the matter and report back. 

 

There being no further questions it was

 

AGREED - T H A T the officer be thanked for attending and providing Members with an informative update.

 

 

511     VALE OF GLAMORGAN LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN: DEPOSIT DRAFT PLAN 2011 - 2026 -

 

Prior to the commencement of the presentation the Chairman advised that in view of the importance of the LDP to residents of the Vale of Glamorgan he had considered that only two items be placed on the agenda for the meeting to allow for full discussion.  The Chairman then introduced the Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation (Councillor L. Burnett), the Director of Development Services (Mr. R. Thomas) and Mrs. E. Reed (Operational Manager for Development Services).

 

Mrs Reed provided the Committee with an interactive presentation advising that the Draft Deposit Plan included two maps, a constraints map which identified areas for future consideration e.g. flooding areas and a proposals map which identified areas of growth and infrastructure. 

 

The Committee was also informed that a number of informal briefing sessions had been and were currently to held for members of the public as follows:-

 

7th October 2013 - Penarth

10th October 2013 - Barry

14th October 2013 - Cowbridge

15th October 2013 - Llantwit Major

22nd October 2013 - St. Athan.

 

The presentation also outlined that approval had been sought from the Cabinet on 7th October 2013 for the Vale of Glamorgan Local Deposit Draft Plan to be a basis for a statutory six week consultation exercise commencing in November 2013 and had been referred to the Community Liaison Committee for consultation.

 

The LDP Regulations required the Local Planning Authority to prepare an initial consultation report detailing the results of the Draft Preferred Strategy consultation and the document which would be made available alongside the Deposit Plan during the public consultation period.

 

Members were advised that any recommendations made by the Committee would be forwarded Cabinet for its meeting on 21st October 2013 and that the Council at its meeting on 23rd October, 2013 would be requested to approve the document for the statutory six week public consultation exercise.

 

In providing the presentation it was noted that the LDP was a document that set out the Council's proposals and policies for the future, in particular with regard to growth and restraint.  It was also noted that following the consultation process if the Council was presented with requests for alternative sites these would also have to be advertised and further consultation undertaken in order for comments to be received on the alternative proposals. 

 

Following this timescale the Plan itself would then be presented to the Inspector who would finally produce a report which would be binding on the Authority.  Copies of the booklets and information in relation to the process were also available on request.

 

Mrs. Reed referred to a number of key issues in particular the housing figures of 9950 properties plus a reserve site of 500 units.  It was noted that of the 9950 a third were expected to be for affordable housing. 

 

Other key issues referred to were

 

·                gypsy and travellers’ site

·                transport proposals

·                infrastructure proposals.

 

Following the presentation the Director of Development Services took the Committee through the Cabinet report.  He referred to the various sections contained within the document which included managing growth and managing development, delivering implementation, measuring success and policy issues.  He stated that consultation would commence during the first week of November 2013 with current indications suggesting that consultation would commence on 8th November.  The consultation would include communication with all those individuals and organisations that were included within the Council's LDP database, placing copies of the Deposit Plan on the Council's website and at Deposit locations and issuing press releases relating to the same.

 

Those making representations on the Deposit Plan would be encouraged to do so on a standard form setting out clearly any supporting representations or objections.  Committee was advised that a number of individuals had already made comments in relation to the Plan over the previous few weeks however, they had all been advised to put forward their representations during the six week consultation period if approved.

 

Prior to a question and answer session in relation to the LDP the Chairman asked representatives from Barry Town Council to present their Request for Consideration of Matter in relation to the Town Council's concern regarding the future provision of burial land in Barry and the Vale.  The request stated that they had been advised by officers of the Vale of Glamorgan that “at this moment in time the issue was due to be discussed as part of the LDP†however, it was their impression that there may be no plans to find burial ground in the Vale as it had been considered there would be enough space in the crematorium in Barry and also in Cardiff and Bridgend. 

 

The representative from Barry stated that it was the Council's view that representatives from all Town and Community Councils should work with the Vale to identify future need and future provision.  In Barry in particular a small amount of land was available but other Town and Community Councils may not have such provision. 

 

Mrs Reed, in response, advised that a background document in relation to the matter was detailed within the LDP documentation and she urged all Town and Community Councils to consider that document and make any representations they sought fit during the six week consultation period.   It was noted that the background documentation advised that following a study it had been confirmed that there was sufficient land at present to meet the needs over the LDP period but that any comments felt appropriate should be made as part of the consultation and evidence gathering exercise.

 

Following the above the Chairman then afforded all the Town and Community Council representatives in the first instance the opportunity to make any comments and a question and answer session took place as outlined below:-

 

Question

Response

The representative from Dinas Powys asked :-

·         that more consideration be given to the volume of traffic that would be increased as a result of the development of further houses which would exacerbate the current traffic problems

·         that further public transport be encouraged.

·         there did not appear to be any reference in the document to improve infrastructure and the increase of housing developments would be on an already overburdened infrastructure

·         water course discharges and soak ways also needed to be considered.

 

The Director stated some of the issues identified were actually in the document and that every site had been looked at in terms of infrastructure.  It was also common for developers to fund these facilities and what the LDP sought to do was to flag up issues that could be potential problems.  Welsh Water had also confirmed that a number of sites could not come forward without work actually being completed.  Any scheme in the Plan had to be deliverable and the Inspector would test for soundness.

 

The Dinas Powys by-pass was also far from clear regarding funding streams availability and he referred to pages 82 and 83 of the document which referred to corridor improvement schemes. A number of various junctions were also listed in the document and had been assessed accordingly.

 

The representative from Cowbridge referred to the lack of bus services in the rural Vale and the fact that the LDP Plan seemed to draw on and reflect the need only for the corridor along the coast and the A48.

In response the Director stated that the A48 and coastal corridor were strategic routes and the Five Mile Lane was seen as critical to the strategy document. He stated that the aim of the Plan was to promote infrastructure through the development of new sites and that bus services in the Vale was an issue not only for the rural Vale but also for rural Wales.   However, he referred to a report that was being prepared and due to be presented to Cabinet in the next few weeks to replace the village bus.

 

The number of houses proposed for St Athan was queried with it being confirmed that the 1,300 included Eglwys Brewis.  The representative also asked whether the numbers referred to in the document had been evidenced by need.  There was also little infrastructure identified and no evidence of rail links for St. Athan. Had the land been fully scrutinised for its suitability? -  as it was suggested the changes proposed would reduce the quality of life for local residents. 

The figures were essentially based on household projections in 2008 which had been rigorously tested by Welsh Government.  There were also due to be further results from the 2011 Census.  The figures were challenging but these were the figures the Council had been directed by Welsh Government to deliver. With regard to a railway line the feedback received by the Council was that this would not be a viable service before 2026 and that there was a commercial bus service that could be used.  With regard to access ( page 160 of the plan)  the Council's Highway Engineers had considered the Plan and advised that it required a suitable access which would be part of a planning application when submitted.  The Director also advised that the affordable housing need was fundamental given the Vale of Glamorgan and Welsh Government's policies.

 

The representative from Llanmaes requested that the consultation process time be increased.

This was a legislative requirement and the statutory consultation period was six weeks. 

 

In referring to the spatial environment particularly for Llanmaes and St. Athan the representative stated that the document would be producing areas that were light in amenities and transport structure.

The Cabinet Member in response took the opportunity to urge those present to make their representations at the consultation stage and referred also to the extra briefing sessions that would be held during the process throughout the Vale to assist people in completing the necessary forms.  She also advised that if members of the public had evidence and other information that they wished to contribute to the process to present it at that time. All comments would be carefully considered. 

 

In referring to development sites in the Llanmaes area the Director advised that the Council had applied a consistent approach and that in referring to potential flooding risks it had been for this reason that the numbers were less in those areas.  The Council could also never guarantee that housing would lead to jobs but it had an obligation to encourage the chances of linking jobs to housing and that the department had had to consider marrying the Enterprise Zone with new housing in the area.  The northern access road would also provide more access into the area.

 

The representative from Sully and Lavernock Community Council referred to three specific issues for that locality

·         land at Upper Cosmeston Farm

·         land at Swanbridge Road and the proposed

·         gypsy and traveller site.

 

He referred to the additional traffic congestion that would be created and with regard to the gypsy and travellers site the previous LDP had identified a suitable site and that the site at Sully had clearly been identified for allotments for the community. 

Housing allocations had been identified in line with the Strategy.  A five year supply housing plan was required by Welsh Government and currently the Vale fell short of this.  A way forward was to identify a reserve site.  With regard to bus priority measures officers had considered this aspect as an option also the railway network did not offer alternative at Sully. 

 

With regard to the issue of a gypsy and traveller site following the previous LDP a new feasibility study had been undertaken which brought the Council up to date on this aspect and which was the reason why the Sully site had been earmarked. 

 

The representative from Penllyn reiterated the comments made by the representative from Cowbridge stating that the main issue was the loss of the bus service and the Council and Welsh Government should give further commitment to such a service.  Given some of the rural locations there was no option but to use the car.

The Director agreed that these were relevant comments and that the Council was actively looking at how it could replace a number of bus services. In general the Director advised that it was not just about getting to and from work it was linking communities to other facilities. It was also important to ensure that the current facilities continued as well as to encourage increase usage. He stated that there was a general commitment by the Council to consider sustainability in the long term.

 

The representative from Penarth took the opportunity to congratulate the officers of the work to date. He also referred to a recent suggestion that Town and Community Councils should be given more of a role in the development of planning briefs and that there was a further call for a commercial bus service which he to welcomed.

 

The Director advised that he would  welcome input from Town and Community Councils as local issues were important and should be reflected in policies.

Sewerage issues in Colwinston

The Operational Manager advised that the background to the Plan dId not recognise the sewerage issue as this would need to be addressed before the development proceeded. 

 

The representative from Ewenny

·         requested that further consideration be given to arranging briefing sessions in outlying areas of the western Vale

·         and asked whether discussions with regard to some of the areas on the fringe of Ewenny had been held with Bridgend County Borough Council.

 

The Director advised that he would note the request and although the site locations had been agreed bearing in mind the issues raised in the LDP he would take on board the request and if possible reconfigure some sessions.

 

Officers from the Vale regularly met with officers from Bridgend County Borough Council with regard to  forward planning issues

The representative from Bonvilston stated that the size of the proposed new houses was large and that access to the A48 difficult for that number. 

 

The representative queried the logic used in relation to infrastructure issues as detailed in the Plan

Access via the A48 had been addressed by Highway Engineers who had considered it to be a feasible option. 

 

 

In the preparation of the Plan all the designations had been reviewed and areas for growth considered, it being agreed that the sites were appropriate extensions. If any member of the community felt that there were issues or alternative sites that could be offered they were urged to submit suggestions as part of the consultation process. 

 

 

Wenvoe -  The increase usage for the village as a result of the proposed HTV site was 50%.

 

 

Wick – Infrastructure and flooding issues.

 

Culverhouse Cross was not classed as a traditional settlement and that was the logic used in relation to the proposal.

 

The sites had been more appropriately aligned to the existing areas of Wick.

Can Members be assured that the Business park at Cardiff airport will be priority 1 and the new allocation priority 2.

In response the Director advised that the whole programme would be phased with those aspects closer to the airport being developed first.

 

Is the new form easier to complete as the previous form in 2012 had been complicated.

Although the Department would prefer to receive the form completed, this did not preclude the public from responding by letter or e-mail.  The use of the form was easier to manage and the Inspector would encourage its usage but electronic means or via letter would be acceptable.  A large print run of forms would be completed prior to 8th November and all Town and Community Councils could ask for more forms if required. At all the briefing sessions during the consultation period assistance would be on hand to aid completion.

 

One Member of the Vale of Glamorgan Council also reiterated his support for residents in the rural Vale regarding the lack of bus services. He urged the Council to consider consulting with local people regarding the timetable that they would require.  He was also keen to learn whether affordable housing would remain affordable and with regard to infrastructure the B4275 was in his opinion not the best of roads.

 

The Director responded by advising that some of the roads referred to were difficult to navigate. The Plan aimed to try to identify areas where the growth proposed would assist with this. The intention was also to try to keep houses affordable and that all the comments would be taken on board.

 

 The Cabinet Member also stated that transport was an issue and a massive challenge for the Council which had been exacerbated by a number of operators vacating services.  The services also needed to be assessed as fit for purpose and discussions with local people needed to be maintained within available resources.  It was important that the Council actually sat down with communities, explained the constraints it was working within and sought suggestions or solutions. 

 

 

In response to a general query as to whether surveys had been completed to assess traffic flows the Director advised that work had been undertaken on the highway network and the information was available within the background papers on line.

 

During the discussion the interactive maps were regularly used to highlight the impact on the areas of concern and in referring to the Enterprise Zone the Director informed the Committee that lengthy discussions continued to take place with Welsh Government. 

 

In conclusion the Chairman took the opportunity to reiterate the use of the forms during the consultation period, for all Town and Community Councils to make their comments within the six week period and to take advantage of the further briefing sessions that were proposed to be arranged.

 

Following agreement by all that a good debate had taken place it was

 

AGREED - T H A T the report be noted.

 

Reason for decision

 

In view of the statutory six week consultation period that would take place following the approval by Council on 23rd October, 2013 if agreed.

 

 

N.B. Councillor R.L. Traherne left the meeting prior to consideration of this item.