THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
Minutes of an extraordinary meeting held on 16th April, 2012.
Present: Councillor Mrs. K.A. Kemp (Deputy Mayor, in the Chair); Councillors Ms. M.E. Alexander, Mrs. S.M. Bagstaff, R.J. Bertin, Mrs. M.E.J. Birch, J.C. Bird, Ms. B.E. Brooks, Mrs. J.E. Charles, P. Church, G.A. Cox, R.F. Curtis, Mrs. P. Drake, S.C. Egan, C.P.J. Elmore, A.M. Ernest, J.F. Fraser, E. Hacker, A.D. Hampton, Mrs. V.M. Hartrey, K. Hatton, N.P. Hodges, H.J.W. James, T.H. Jarvie, G. John, F.T. Johnson, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen, G.C. Kemp, Mrs. A.J. Moore, N. Moore, C.L. Osborne, Mrs. A.J. Preston, Mrs. S.I. Sharpe, J.W. Thomas, R.P. Thomas, R.L. Traherne, Mrs. D.M. Turner, S.T. Wiliam, Mrs. M.R. Wilkinson, A.C. Williams, C.J. Williams, E.T. Williams, Miss. S.J.C. Williams and Ms. M. Wright.
The officers present were: Mr. R. Bergman, Head of Human Resources, Mr. J. Wyatt, Operational Manager (Democratic Services), Miss. J. Winter, Operational Manager (Legal Services) and Mr. J. Rees, Principal Democratic and Scrutiny Officer.
Miss K. Howells, of Geldards Solicitors and Legal Advisor on the proposals, was also present.
1074 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE -
These were received from Councillor J. Clifford (Mayor); Councillors Ms. V.L. Ellis, Mrs. M. Randall and M.R. Wilson.
1075 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -
No declarations were received.
1076 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC -
RESOLVED - T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
1077 SENIOR MANAGEMENT REDUCTION (EXEMPT INFORMATION - PARAGRAPH 15) -
The Leader outlined the report, which contained recommendations from Cabinet of 14th March, 2012 in relation to the restructuring / reduction of the Council’s senior management team. The proposals had been framed in response to Council resolving to reduce senior management structures, achieving a minimum saving of £200,000 by 2012/13.
The proposals had been subject to a significant period of consultation, review and scrutiny since their initial consideration at Cabinet on 21st September, 2011. This had included consultation with staff and Trade Unions, as part of the Council’s Avoiding Redundancy Procedure, discussion with all Group Leaders, consideration and endorsement of the Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources) and external review by the Wales Audit Office. The proposals had been revised to accommodate feedback from the consultation exercise.
Subject to the approval of Council of the Cabinet recommendations, arrangements would proceed for the appointments process for the new roles by the Senior Management Appointment Panel and for redundancy arrangements to be determined by the Early Retirement / Redundancy Committee.
The actual level of savings from the overall restructure was potentially in the order of £500,000, thereby exceeding the original target.
Indicative redundancy dates were as follows. For the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration, mid June and for both the Chief Executive and Director of Legal, Housing and Public Protection, 31st July 2012.
The Leader informed Members of a number of minor corrections required to the report, viz:
· the job description of the Director of Resources to include, under Operational Areas of Responsibility, reference to “Monitoring Officer”
· the deletion of the words “legal and democratic” in the job description for Head of Housing / Building Services / Visible Services
· the reference on page 84 of the documentation to the “Head of ICT and Property” should read “Head of Strategic ICT”.
(1) T H A T the new senior management structure as endorsed by Cabinet on 21st September 2011 (see Appendix A to the report and resolution at Appendix B to the report) and as amended by Cabinet on 19th October 2011 (see Appendix E) be approved.
(2) T H A T the posts set out in Appendix H (i) of the report be deleted and the establishment of posts as set out in Appendix H (ii) to the report be approved.
(3) T H A T the revised salaries as recommended by the Hay Group and referred to in paragraphs 57 to 63 of the report be approved.
(4) T H A T the potential redundancy arrangements for the Chief Executive, Director of Legal, Housing and Public Protection, Director of Learning and Development and Director of Environment and Economic Regeneration be referred to the Early Retirement / Redundancy Committee. This to include confirmation of the dates of redundancy for the officers concerned.
(5) T H A T delegated authority be granted to the Head of Human Resources to progress recommendations in relation to severance terms to the Early Retirement / Redundancy Committee in the circumstances as set out in (4) above and in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
(6) T H A T the progressing of the interim arrangements for the role of Managing Director in accordance with paragraphs 84 to 87 of the report and subject to consideration and recommendation of a Senior Management Appointments Panel on 17th April 2012 be approved.
(7) T H A T such arrangements be approved on the basis of firstly matching the Director of Finance, ICT and Property to the new post of Director of Resources in accordance with the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Procedures and then appointment of the postholder to the Managing Director role on a honorarium basis for a three year basis from 1st August 2012. Such appointment to include the duties of Head of Paid Service and be subject to review at the end of the three year period as set out in paragraph 85 of the report.
(8) T H A T the commencement of a recruitment process for the combined role of Managing Director / Director of Resources be approved in the circumstance where the Senior Management Appointment Panel do not confirm the arrangements as set out at (7) above and the consequent progression of redundancy arrangements for the current Director of Finance, ICT and Property (as set out in paragraphs 99 and 100 of the report).
(9) T H A T the decision to delete the role of Head of Legal Services and create a new role of Monitoring Officer / Head of Legal and Democratic Services pending a review of alternative options (see paragraphs 53 to 55 of the report) be deferred.
(10) T H A T the restructuring decisions in relation to the Heads of Service in the Learning and Development Directorate be deferred pending the appointment of the Chief Learning and Skills Officer.
(11) T H A T the transfer of the designation of Lead Director for Children and Young People's Services to the Director of Social Services as set out in paragraph 41 of the report (bullets 7-9) and from 1st May 2012 be approved.
(12) T H A T the progression of the appointment / matching / review arrangements for the remainder of the revised structure in accordance with the proposals as set out in Appendix G and paragraphs 89 to 96 of the report be approved.
(13) T H AT any consequential changes to the Council’s Constitution as a result of the above be referred to the next appropriate meeting of Council.
(14) T H A T, if necessary, arrangements are made for a Monitoring Officer from another local authority to offer any relevant advice in connection with the senior management reduction exercise going forward.