Top

Top

SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT)

 

Minutes of a meeting held on 16th July, 2013.

 

Present: Councillor Mrs. A.J. Moore (Chairman); Councillor E. Hacker (Vice-Chairman); Councillors P.J. Clarke, G.A. Cox, Mrs. C.L. Curtis, Mrs. P. Drake, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen, P. King, A.G. Powell and C.J. Williams.

 

242     MINUTES –

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the minutes of the meetings held on 9th April 2013 and 18th June, 2013 be approved as a correct record.

 

 

243     DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –

 

No declarations were received.

 

 

244     REVENUE AND CAPITAL MONITORING FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL 2013 TO 31ST MAY 2013 (DDS AND DVSH) –

 

The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2013/14 was shown at Appendix 1 to the report in presenting the report the Head of Accountancy and Resource Management referred to the following areas:

 

Highways Maintenance and Engineering Design and Procurement – The current £9k favourable variance to the profiled budget was mainly attributable to vacant posts.

 

Waste Management – There was currently a £37k favourable variance to the profiled budget which again was mainly linked to vacant posts within the service. 

 

Grounds Maintenance – The £11k favourable variance to the profiled budget was reported as due to lower than budgeted staff costs. 

 

Support – There was currently a favourable variance of £18k to the profiled budget.  This budget was to be held for any cost pressures within Visible Services that might arise throughout the financial year. 

 

Economic Development – There was currently a favourable variance of £5k to the profiled budget.  The budget was currently expected to outturn on target.

 

Leisure – There was currently an adverse variance of £5k to the profiled budget.  The budget was currently expected to outturn on target, however there were continued pressures on the service which would be closely monitored.

 

Planning and Transportation – The favourable variance of £74k to the profiled budget was predominantly due to income for Highway Development S38 and S278 fees now being in advance of the profiled estimate. 

 

Appendix 2 to the report detailed the financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st May 2013.  The Head of Accountancy and Resource Management stated that Appendix 2 also included approved slippage for unspent committed capital expenditure which had slipped from 2012/13 into 2013/14.  It was noted that this had been approved by exercising the Managing Director’s delegated emergency powers.

 

Members were advised that for all schemes where it was evident that the full year’s budget would not be spent during the year, the relevant officers were required to provide explanations for the short fall as follows:

 

Ewenny Road Bridge – An allocation of £1m had been approved as the Council’s contribution towards Ewenny Road Bridge replacement works for 2013/14.  This sum represented a 53% share of expected costs of works which would be procured and managed by Network Rail.  It was currently anticipated that the planned profile for the scheme would run from January 2014 to July 2014, although final programme details were awaited from Network Rail.  As the Council’s contribution would not be required until 2014/15 the proposal was to leave the sum of £100k in the current year’s Capital Programme to cover a potential drawdown in the year and slip the remaining £900k into 2014/15.

 

S106 Cogan Hill / Plassey Street junction phases 1 and 2 – Works were required to improve the traffic flow into and out of Penarth from the Barons Court junction.  Funding was available from S106 funds from the Penarth Heights development and had to be fully spent by September 2030.  Phasing at the Barons Court junction traffic signals had recently been undertaken and it was intended to monitor functioning of these changes to ensure effective operation of these signals before proceeding with the design of the Penarth junctions.  As the detailed design on the S106 funding was not likely to commence before January 2014 it was proposed to reduce the current year’s budget to £30k and carry forward the balance of £227k into 2014/15 when proposed construction works could be progressed. Members were however, also advised that if it was possible to bring the programme forward this would be done as a matter of priority.

 

In response to a query regarding Cardiff Road footway widening, the Director of Visible Services and Housing agreed to report to Members direct.

 

Having considered the report it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the position with regard to the 2013/14 revenue and capital monitoring be noted.

 

(2)       T H A T the proposed amendment to reduce the Ewenny Road Bridge budget to £100k (carry forward £900k to 2014/15) be endorsed and referred to Cabinet and Council for approval.

 

(3)       T H A T the proposed amendment to reduce the S106 Cogan Hill / Plassey Street junction phases 1 and 2 budget to £30k (carry £227k forward into 2014/15) be endorsed and referred to Cabinet for approval.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       That Members are aware of the position with regard to the 2013/14 revenue and capital monitoring relevant to this Scrutiny Committee.

 

(2&3)  To gain approval to make amendments to the Capital Programme.

 

 

245     CLOSURE OF ACCOUNTS 2012/13 (DDS AND DVSH) –

 

The report provided the Committee with details of the accounts that had been completed in order to inform Members of the provisional financial position for the services within its remit for the 2012/13 financial year.

 

Appendix 1 to the report contained details of amendments to the revised estimates including a number of adjustments.  The following table detailed the amended estimate and the actual expenditure for the Committee, the main reasons for the variances were detailed at paragraphs 10 to 25 of the report:-

 

Service

Amended Revenue Estimate

Total Provisional Actual

Variance Favourable  () Adverse

 

       £’000

          £’000

             £’000

Visible Services

 

 

 

Environment and Visible Services

17,820

17,783

37

Parks and Ground Maintenance

3,319

3,344

(25)

Building Services

25

23

2

 

 

 

 

Development Services

 

 

 

Planning and Transportation

5,104

5,096

8

Leisure

4,989

4,831

158

Economic Development

874

874

0

 

 

 

 

Total

32,131

31,951

180

 

Appendix 2 to the report detailed the projects, the actual spend and outcomes for schemes. With regard to some schemes where there were major variances the detail for these was  contained within the report at paragraphs 27 to 37.

 

The report also highlighted that given anticipated ongoing cuts in capital funding in future years, it was vital that the funding from uncommitted capital expenditure be retained for future use on prioritised schemes.  Capital slippage was outlined at Appendix 4 to the report.

 

Members, in considering the report, queried the delays involved in the Leisure Centres refurbishment with the Operational Manager advising that discussions were currently being held between the Property Section and Parkwood Leisure on a schedule of programmed works.  It was noted that some of the work would not be completed until December as it was considered more appropriate to undertake such work when the Centres were quieter.  With regard to most of the £2m that was being spent he advised Members that most of the expenditure would be behind the scenes on essential works to the centres, which would not be visible.

 

Having considered the report, it was

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the slippage requests as detailed at Appendix 4 to the report and the use of the Managing Director’s emergency powers to avoid delays in progressing the schemes be noted.

 

(2)       T H A T the remainder of the report and the financial measures taken and proposed be noted.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       To note the amendments to the 2013/14 Capital Programme due to slippage form 2012/13.

 

(2)       To note the remainder of the report and the financial measures taken and proposed.

 

 

246     BARRY ISLAND: INSTALLATION OF BLUE PLAQUE COMMEMORATING THE FORMER BUTLIN’S HOLIDAY CAMPSITE (DDS) –

 

A Request for Consideration of matter had been received from Councillor R.J. Bertin who had been approached by former Red Coats and Employees who wishes to install, at their cost, a blue plaque on the site of the former Butlin’s Holiday Camp commemorating its existence.  Councillor Bertin had also requested that both Mr. Steve Slocombe from Welsh Government and Mr. Steuart Kingsley-Iness former employee at Butlin’s, be invited to speak at the Scrutiny Committee on the matter.

 

The Chairman informed the Committee that Mr. Slocombe had been invited but had advised that he was unable to attend the meeting. However, he had submitted written representations which advised that he was totally supportive of the blue plaque idea although he was aware that it was a Vale site.  He asked  in view of the ongoing works and the redevelopment proposals at Barry Island, that the Council consider a temporary solution to be available and allow for a permanent siting at a later date.  He made such a request in view of the fact that there were many elderly members of the Butlin’s Red Coats and it would be important for something to be agreed so that as many as possible were able to attend an unveiling.  He further stated that it was fitting to commemorate Butlin’s as it was what defined Barry Island in the 60s and 70s.  Although Welsh Government in conjunction with  the Vale Council was seeking to establish a new identity for Barry Island, the legacy of the camp should not be forgotten and the valuable efforts of the Red Coats in helping to make the Island the renowned tourist destination that it was should be noted.

 

Mr. Kingsley-Iness, a former employee and Red Coat, had also been granted permission to speak by the Chairman and advised that a number of his colleagues had worked at the site and would like to repay the town for their memories.  The idea of a plaque had been suggested as it would also remind people of the heritage, he requested that the Council consider the proposal and provide a logistical position for the plaque’s erection. At the meeting Mr. Kingsley-Iness circulated to Members a copy of the suggested design for a plaque for approval.  He specifically mentioned that the cost of the plaque and its design would be borne by the past employees  themselves.

 

The Operational Manager for Leisure and Tourism, in presenting his report to the Committee, advised that there were significant regeneration proposals that were currently being detailed for Barry Island which would be funded by the Barry Regeneration Fund and that it would seem entirely appropriate to consider a request to commemorate the site of the former Butlin’s Holiday Camp and those who worked at the site as part of the ongoing regeneration proposals.  This had indeed been a remark that had been made by the Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation at the Council meeting on 13th May 2013 following a question from Councillor Bertin.  In essence, the report proposed that it would be premature to install a plaque at this time given that the regeneration programme for 2013/14 would consider proposals for a range of interventions at Barry Island including a consideration of public realm enhancements and applications for public art and interpretation.  The report also highlighted that given that Barry Island Holiday Camp figured heavily in recent local history, it would therefore be appropriate for the request to commemorate the camp to be considered alongside a consideration of wider public art, interpretation and public realm enhancements.

 

Members, in considering the request, were concerned about placing a plaque on a temporary aspect at a time when a considerable amount of building work would be ongoing as they would wish to make sure that it was sited in the most appropriate place. 

 

Following a request by a Member who suggested that if may be more appropriate to present the plaque to the Mayor of the Vale of Glamorgan for safekeeping until an appropriate place could be sited. Mr. Kingsley-Iness stated that he agreed that this was an excellent suggestion and as the employees held a reunion in Barry each year usually in June and he wondered if such a presentation could coincide with the reunion which would be a fitting tribute to the employees and would be entirely appropriate.  The Committee being unanimously supportive of the suggestion were thanked by Councillor Bertin and Mr. Kingsley-Iness for the opportunity afforded to them to present their case.

 

It was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the request to install a blue plaque at Barry Island be agreed in principle and referred to Cabinet.  It being noted that the cost would be borne by the previous employees of the Butlin’s Holiday Camp as referred to above.

 

(2)       T H A T following the regeneration work planned for Barry Island an appropriate location be found for the installation of the plaque.

 

(3)       T H A T prior to an appropriate place being found for the installation of a blue plaque, the plaque be presented to the Mayor of the Vale of Glamorgan for safekeeping.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1&2)  To ensure that appropriate provision is given to the request to site a blue plaque on Barry Island and for Cabinet approval.

 

(3)       In recognition of the former Red Coats and employees of the former Butlin’s Holiday Camp.

 

 

247     END OF YEAR PERFORMANCE 2012/13 AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS 2013/14 (MD) –

 

Attached to the report were the action monitoring and performance reports for each service area that was monitored by the Committee.  It was noted that the measures highlighted in blue on the performance reports had been proposed for deletion for 2013/14.  An additional document was also attached as an Appendix which listed for each service area all the performance indicators proposed for collection as part of the 2013/14 service plan monitoring.  All measures had been renamed for ease of reference in relation to the new service plans.  Newly proposed performance indicators had been highlighted in yellow, with Members being reminded that and the performance indicators with the abbreviations (NSI), (PAM) or (NSI/PAM) beside the reference were statutory indicators and could not be amended or deleted.

 

In relation to the levels of Green Dragon achieved within the Council, this was monitored by the Sustainable Development Working Group which reported separately to Scrutiny and Cabinet.  Levels were achieved by a combination of building based or directorate based environmental management systems, rather than by service areas individually.  In light of this, it was proposed that the Green Dragon indicators be deleted for all service areas from 2013/14 onwards and that the Council’s performance in relation to Green Dragon continue to be monitored by the Sustainable Development Working Group and reported to Scrutiny and Cabinet.

 

Each service area had also been given the target of achieving level 4 of the Vale Equality Scheme, with the exception of areas where this level did not apply due to the nature of the service (Accountancy and Resource Management, Legal Services and ICT Services).  Most service areas had met this target by the end of the financial year 2012/13.  The report however, advised that the following service areas had however not yet met the level 4 target: Human Resources (L3), Children and Young People’s Services (L2), Business Management and Innovation (L3), School Improvement (L3), Building and Vehicle Services (Le), Visible Services (L2), Democratic Services (L1).  It was therefore proposed that the Equalities Team work intensively with these services to bring them up to a level 4 standard, and that the Vale Equalities Scheme indicators be removed from all service areas from 2013/14 onwards.

 

In considering the reports Members referred to the footfall figures at Cowbridge, Penarth and Barry Island Leisure Centres and their decrease, the Operational Manager for the service area advised that further work would be undertaken with Parkwood in relation to data collection which needed to be addressed, it being noted that the recent run of good weather would also affect the figures.

 

In response to concerns that the PIs in relation to the percentage of vacancy rates for retail units in Broad Street, High Street, Barry, etc., and to whether  the Council could reduce business rates, the Operational Manager advised that the Council did not have the ability to do so.

 

With regard to the increase in the number of Tourism brochures printed, Members were advised that it had been assumed that people would increasingly prefer to browse for information via the website, however it was apparent that printed material was still very popular. In response to a query as to whether the brochures were too professional i.e. too good, and whether the quality could be reduced, Members were informed that the Council was in competition and that quality was essential.

 

In considering PI L350aA Percentage of customers satisfied with the condition of roads, the Director of Visible Services advised that the decline in customer satisfaction reflected the impact of two particularly harsh winters since the last public opinion survey in 2009.  It was however, not only a local problem as councils across the UK were struggling to deal with similar backlogs of repairs and although the £6.5m of additional financial resources that had been allocated for highway maintenance over the next three years should assist but he was concerned about what would happen when the money ran out in 2015.  Members were also concerned that when the work was undertaken, that it was undertaken correctly as some roads appeared to be breaking up soon after they had been tarmaced.  It was noted that the recent hot weather was not allowing the tarmac to set but the Director reassured Members that if there were any problems the contractors had an obligation to make good and agreed guarantees.  The Council was also regularly monitoring the treatments that were being used and considering alternatives as appropriate.

 

In response to a query regarding Whitmore Bay not receiving Blue Flag status the Director advised that this was out of the control of the Council.  It had been as a result of changes in European standards that the status had not been received.  The standards required that if at any at one time there was an issue, this would drive the standard down even if for the rest of the year everything was acceptable.  However, he could confirm that the quality of testing and the quality of the water had not deteriorated. 

 

With regard to the performance indicators for Waste the Director took the opportunity to inform Members that further reports would be presented to the Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet in due course detailing that an education campaign would be undertaken which would include a management plan to deal with local authority waste.  The Council also needed to look at ways of improving its performance and the Department was currently considering the possibility of community recycling.

 

In response to a query for an update on Xfor enforcement the Director stated that a report due to be presented to Cabinet would show that the project had been successful from a cost perspective and very few complaints had been received. It was hoped that similar enforcement could be provided in the future.  He referred to Members having previously requested to receive data for their Ward areas which would be developed in the next programme once agreed.  He also assured Members that in the future arrangements there would be more technology involved which would allow for more reports on the service to be produced. 

 

The Director in responding to a query regarding off-street car parking informed Members that a future report was scheduled to be presented to the Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet as the Department had commissioned a request for a consultant to be appointed to consider an off-street car parking strategy.  A Member raised a concern in relation to the recent audit report of Building Services that had been presented to the Audit Committee on 8th July but were informed that this was a matter for the Housing and Public Protection Scrutiny Committee.

 

Following consideration of the reports Members took the opportunity to congratulate the staff in Visible Services in respect of the 'Big Fill' Initiative.

 

It was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the performance and action monitoring reports be accepted.

 

(2)       T H A T the performance indicators and performance reporting arrangements for 2013/14 be noted.

 

Reason for recommendations

 

(1&2)  In consideration of the contents of the reports.

 

 

248     ANNUAL REPORT – SECTION 106 LEGAL AGREEMENTS 2012 – 2013 (REF) –

 

The report detailed the progress on Section 106 planning obligation matters that had arisen in the last financial year April 2012 to March 2013.  Cabinet had on 17th June, received the report and referred it to the Scrutiny Committee for information.

 

In the 12 months between April 2012 and March 2013 a total of 12 planning permissions had been issued, which had been subject to Section 106 legal agreements.  A list attached as an appendix to the report contained the value of the financial contributions to the legal agreements which was reported as being £511,873.  The financial contributions secured through these legal agreements would be used to provide or enhance facilities off site, such as sustainable transport facilities, public open space, community facilities and more.  It was noted that the planning obligation requirements that had been secured during the year had also included 'in kind' obligations such as on site affordable housing, on site public open space and recreational facilities and public art.

 

In referring to the report the Principal Planner Development Control advised that between April 2012 and March 2013 the Council had received financial and in kind obligations in respect of a number of previously outstanding planning agreements, including interest payments where applicable.  The Council’s Section 106 account currently held £2,213,336.69 with £406,938.86 having been spent this year through the implementation of Section 106 projects, the details of which were attached at Appendix B to the report.  For schemes already identified and monies committed, these were highlighted in grey in the table at Appendix B.

 

Following comments by Members of the Scrutiny Committee in the previous year, it being noted that the implementation of Section 106 agreements had been an issue, some projects had been identified and had now been redirected to other service sections within the department.  In response to a  query regarding the possibility of placing street lights in Bear Lane in Cowbridge near the medical centre, the Planning Officer agreed to approach the developer as to the possibility of erecting some street lights in that area.

 

Having considered the report it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the progress made on Section 106 matters between April 2012 and March 2013 be noted.

 

Reason for recommendation

 

To inform Members and keep them updated on progress.

 

 

249     WELSH GOVERNMENT REGENERATION FRAMEWORK – VIBRANT AND VIABLE PLACES (REF) –

 

Members were advised of the publication of Welsh Government Guidance for applicants to access Welsh Government targeted regeneration investment which had been referred to the Committee by Cabinet for information on 1st July 2013.  The Guidance was attached as an appendix to the report and was entitled 'Vibrant and Viable Places Regeneration Framework'.

 

The Welsh Government’s New Regeneration Framework, 'Vibrant and Viable Places' was launched at the Senedd on 11th March 2013.  The new Framework was the result of a review of approaches to regeneration in Wales and the consultation from October 2012 to January 2013.  The Framework sought intensive targeted regeneration investment in a small number of key places which would be used to support local growth in town centres, coastal communities and Communities First clusters.

 

In terms of progressing the Stage 1 bid, the publication of the guidance was reported to the Council’s Corporate Management Team on 22nd May 2013.  Subsequently, a Cross Service Working Group was established and met on 29th May.  The notes of that meeting were attached as Appendix 2 to the report.  In addition, a Barry Regeneration Area Partnership Board Workshop was held on 6th June 2013 and the notes of that meeting were attached as Appendix 3 to the report.  This workshop followed a discussion that had been held at the previous Board meeting on 16th May 2013, the very day that the guidance had been released by the Welsh Government.

 

The report noted that as a consequence of the content of the guidance issued by Welsh Government, Barry appeared well positioned in terms of the new programme.  This had been explored further in the various engagement sessions held with officers and the Board and would be fed into the Council’s bid.   In terms of key themes, Appendices 2 and 3 provided an insight into the areas that were likely to figure in the Council’s bid.  In particular, there needed to be an emphasis on the home, housing quality and the community.  In this regard, the links with Welsh Housing Quality Standard and Housing Renewal work would be fundamental when submitting a bid.  In the same way the Council had recently completed work on the framework for the future of the Town Centres of the vale of Glamorgan.  The role of Holton Road and High Street and Broad Street had been explored in that framework and it was likely that Town Centre interventions would also figure in the bid.  Finally, the current regeneration bid would need to consider how this work was taken forward alongside the investment already made in the Pumphouse on the Waterfront.

 

With permission to speak, the Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation,  Planning and Transportation advised that the project bid was a corporate approach which involved all officers throughout the Council and, if successful, the Council would receive a grant of £15m.  Members considered that in light of the Cabinet Member’s comments, the appreciation of Members to officers throughout the Council should be recorded. 

 

In considering the report a Member stated that some areas within the Vale of Glamorgan had previously, and could in the future, miss out on such funding and urged the Council to consider relooking at the areas that had missed out on previous funding initiatives to see whether the 'small slices of the cake' could be provided to those other communities.

 

It was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the contents of the report be noted and all officers within the Council be thanked for their efforts in the submission of the bid.

 

Reason for recommendation

 

In recognition of the content of the report and the work undertaken in relation to the bid.

 

 

250     FUNDING ARRANGEMENTS – HIGHWAY ASSETS 2013/2014 AND 2014/2015 (REF) –

 

Cabinet had approved at its meeting on the 1st July the Local Government Borrowing Initiative (LGBI) work programme for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 periods as detailed at Appendix A to the report.

 

The LGBI had been first introduced by Welsh Government for the provision of grant funding in order to free up Council resources to allow prudential borrowing to address highway asset improvement during the 2012/13 financial period.  The details of this and the supporting Business Justification Case (BJC) had been presented to Cabinet on 18th April 2012 (Minute No. C1699 refers).

 

The report before the Committee detailed the work programme for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 periods which had been agreed by the Regional Transport Consortia (RTC) and subsequently signed off by the Council’s Section 151 Officer. This was the second year of the three year initiative of the LGBI; the purpose of which was to allow local authorities to free up resources in order to borrow funding totalling £170m across Wales.  This would allow the Vale of Glamorgan to borrow £6.7m over the three year period 2012/13 to 2014/15 equating to £2.23m for each of the financial years of the initiative.  The 2012/13 programme as part of the LGBI had been successfully delivered by the Highways and Engineering division of Visible Services.

 

In order to progress with the LGBI for the financial period 2013/14 and 2014/15 a condition of the funding required that the planned works programme over the two year period was included within the BJC.  A full copy of the LGBI submission, including the JBC and the two year programme, was included in Appendix A.

 

The Acting Maintenance Manager informed the Committee this was the second year of the three year initiative of the LGBI, the purpose of which was to allow local authorities to free up resources in order to borrow funding totalling £170m across Wales. However, concerns still remained for funding after 2015

 

In response to a query from a Member regarding repairs to roads undertaken by utility companies the Manager advised that every utility company had the responsibility to give the Council at least three months notice for any work. He further stated that co-ordination meetings took place with the utility companies to ensure that the work was undertaken in agreed timescales and was made good.  If any Member had any concerns relating to any areas within their Ward they were requested to contact the Acting Manager as soon as possible.

 

RECOMMENDED – T H A T the report be noted.

 

Reason for recommendation

 

In consideration of the contents of the report.

 

 

251     SCRUTINY TRACKING OF RECOMMENDATIONS (DR) –

 

The recommendations made by the Scrutiny Committee for the municipal year April 2012 to March 2013 were attached as Appendix A to the report and the recommendations for the first quarter April to June 2013 attached at Appendix B.

 

Members were requested to review the progress against each recommendation, to assess where further action may be required, to ensure the action required had been undertaken and to confirm which recommendations were to be accepted as completed.

 

Following consideration of the report, it was

  

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the following actions deemed completed in the report be agreed:

 

12 March 2013

Min. No. 976 - Quarterly Performance Monitoring Reports – Recommended that the reports be noted and that the Chairman, on behalf of the Scrutiny Committee, discuss meaningful PIs with the Directors and the Improvement and Development Team as outlined above.

 

 

Revised PIs submitted to Committee on 16th July 2013 for consideration / approval.

Completed

16 April 2012

Min. No. 1060 - Consideration to Ban Dogs from Vale Play Areas – Recommended that Cabinet be advised of the Scrutiny Committees support for a more detailed report on options, in respect of the above, and the possible introduction of Dog Control Orders, to be submitted to Cabinet, in the near future.

 

 

Cabinet, on 22nd May 2013, noted the Scrutiny Committee’s concerns and agreed with the issues raised and officers were requested to produce a more detailed report on the various options to a future Cabinet meeting for consideration (Min. No. C1331 refers).

Completed

Min. No. 1062 - Service Plan – Directorate of Development Services (DDS) – Recommended

(1)   That Cabinet be requested to include an action under Objective 9, in the action plan, to work with Welsh Government in administering the Cardiff Airport Task Force with the success criteria being identified as to increase passenger numbers.

 

 

 

 

 

(2)   That the Scrutiny Committee receives a progress update on the work of the Cardiff Airport Task Force at a future meeting.

 

 

 

(1)    Cabinet, on 8th May 2013, approved the Service Plan but rejected the Scrutiny Committee’s recommendation under Objective 9 and resolved that the Director, in consultation with relevant officers, be authorised to draft an appropriate objective to be inserted into the service plan in order to reflect support for the Cardiff Airport Task Force (Min. No. C1318 refers).

Completed

 

(2)   Added to work programme schedule.

Completed

Min. No. 1063 - Service Plan – Directorate of Visible Services and Housing (DVSH) – Recommended

(1)   That Cabinet be requested to increase the priority under Objective 2,  in the action plan at page 43, 'to review options for the introduction of 'Dog Control Orders' within the Vale of Glamorgan' from a low priority to a medium priority.

 

 

 

Cabinet, on 8th May 2013, approved the service plan subject to the change that the priority under Objective 2 of the action plan 'to review options for the introduction of Dog Control Orders within the Vale of Glamorgan' be increased from a low priority to a high priority and not a medium priority as recommended by the Scrutiny Committee (Min. No. C1318 refers).

Completed

Min. No. 1064 - Improvement Objectives 2013/14 (MD) – Recommended that the proposed improvement objectives for 2013/14 within the Committee’s remit be endorsed and referred to Cabinet subject to the word 'not' being inserted in the last line of the penultimate paragraph under the rationale for objective 1.

 

 

Referred to Cabinet meeting for 3rd June 2013.

Completed

16 May 2013

Min. No. 16 - Welsh Government Consultation on Common Agricultural Policy Reform 2014-2020: a Vale of Glamorgan Council Response (REF) – Recommended

(1)   That the Chairman, on behalf of the Scrutiny Committee, writes to the relevant Assembly Member in support of the Council’s response to the document.

 

 

 

 

 

Letter sent to Jane Hutt, AM on 7th June 2013.

Completed

Min. No. 17 - Task and Finish Activities for 2013/14 (HDS) – Recommended

(2)   That the suggested topic for review, to be put forward to the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group is:

  • Traffic Management – the impact of traffic flows within the county, including sustainable travel.

 

 

 

Referred to Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group meeting 25 June 2013.  The Group agreed that it be Priority 1 for task and Finish work for 2013/14.

Completed

 

(2)       T H A T the following progress be agreed:

 

12 March 2013

Min. No. 972 - Colcot Sports Centre Options Appraisal (DVSH) – Recommended

(1)   That Cabinet be requested to submit a bid to the Barry Regeneration Partnership Project Development Fund for £20k. in 2013/14 for a feasibility study to identify a range of possible future uses for the centre in consultation with the local community and that Cabinet agree the Terms of Reference of the study.

(2)   That Cabinet be requested to consider that on conclusion of the feasibility study (1) above, a steering group be set up involving key stakeholders to develop the most suitable proposals for the medium and long term users of the facility.

 

  

(1)   It being noted that a further report would be presented to Cabinet in due course detailing the progress at the site.  It was agreed that recommendation (1) be deemed

Completed.

   

 

(2)   With regard to recommendation (2), the Democratic and Scrutiny Officer agreed to look into the matter.

Ongoing.

Min. No. 974 - Leisure Centre Partnership Project (DDS) – Recommended

(1)   That the Chairman, with the approval of the Scrutiny Committee, be requested to discuss the issue of Council recharges with the Chairman of the Corporate Resources Scrutiny Committee.

  

 

Following discussions on the future with Parkwood Community Leisure, the current arrangements needed to be maintained, therefore it was agreed that the action be deemed as

Completed.

09 April 2012

Min. No. 1031 - Changing Economic Circumstances: Supporting Businesses in the Local Economy (Call for Evidence) (DDS) – Recommended that the evidence gathered at the meeting and responses to issues identified be provided in a report to be submitted to the Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet in due course.

 

 

 

 

Report to be submitted to the Scrutiny Committee and cabinet following the recess and that as this has now been added to the work programme the status be deemed as

Completed.

16 April 2012

Min. No. 1068 - Changing Economic Circumstances Supporting Businesses in the Local Economy – Feedback on Issues Raised (DDS) – Recommended

(2)   That  the Director’s responses be included in the final report of the meeting held on 9th April 2013 with copies of that report being forwarded to the attendees on the night.

 

 

 

 

Report to be submitted to the Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet following the recess and that as this has now been added to the work programme the status be deemed as

Completed.

 

18 June 2013

Min. No. 95 - Vale of Glamorgan Town Centre Framework (REF) – Recommended

(2)   That all Members of the Scrutiny Committee be advised of the forthcoming dates for the sessions as outlined above as soon as possible.

 

 

 

Dates currently under consideration.

Ongoing

 

 

 

Reason for recommendations

 

(1&2)  In monitoring progress of the Scrutiny Committee’s recommendations.

 

 

252     MATTER WHICH THE CHAIRMAN HAD DECIDED WAS URGENT –

 

RESOLVED – T H A T the following matter which the Chairman had decided was urgent for the reason given beneath the minute heading be considered.

 

 

253     SCRUTINY COMMITTEE TASK AND FINISH REVIEW (DR) –

Urgent by reason of the need to establish membership of the Task and Finish Group prior to the August recess

 

Following approval by the Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group at its meeting on 25th June 2013 first priority for a Task and Finish Group Review for 2013/14 for the Council was agreed to be Traffic Management – the impact of traffic flows within the County, including sustainable travel, the Scrutiny Committee was requested to appoint the membership of the Group.

 

Committee was informed that the Task and Finish Group would itself identify a review scope, outlining the objectives and desired outcomes of the review, the information that would be required, the methods to be employed in undertaking the review and details of the timescales including the start and finish dates at the first meeting of the Group.

 

Membership of the Group was to consist of six Members i.e. 2 Labour, 1 Conservative, 1 Plaid Cymru, 1 Llantwit First Independent and 1 Independent.

 

Having considered the report, it was subsequently

 

RECOMMENDED –

 

(1)       T H A T the membership of the Traffic Management Task and Finish Group be Councillors Mrs. A.J. Moore, E. Hacker, P.J. Clarke Mrs. P. Drake, Mrs. M. Kelly Owen and C.J. Williams.

 

(2)       T H A T the scope of the review be approved by the Task and Finish Group.

 

(3)       T H A T the reports of the Task and Finish Group be referred to the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) for consideration.

 

Reasons for recommendations

 

(1)       In order that the necessary arrangements are in place for the first meeting of the Group to be undertaken as soon as possible following its establishment.

 

(2)       In order that the scope of the review can be confirmed.

 

(3)       To seek comments / approval on any recommendations of the Group prior to referral to Cabinet.

 

 

Share on facebook Like us on Facebook