SENIOR MANAGEMENT APPOINTMENT COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 9th February, 2015.
Present: Councillor N. Moore (Chairman); Councillor S.C. Egan (Vice-Chairman); Councillors L. Burnett, C.P. Franks, G. John and J.W. Thomas.
855 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 21st July, 2014 be approved as a correct record.
856 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
857 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE POSITION OF MANAGING DIRECTOR (L) –
In addition to the report circulated with the agenda, the Operational Manager (Human Resources) circulated a number of draft advertisement options and advertisement publicity estimates for consideration.
Senior management proposals were approved by Council on 17th December 2014 as follows :
(1) T H A T, given both Bridgend and this Council had now ratified the submission of the Expression of Interest in a voluntary merger, then should the Welsh Government give a positive response on progression to the full Merger Proposal, the appointment of a shared Chief Executive be explored, subject to Bridgend Council’s agreement.
(2) T H A T a subsequent further report be brought to Council for final agreement to the arrangements for any joint Head of Paid Service post before proceeding.
(3) T H A T if for any reason a shared Chief Executive is not possible, Option 3 be approved and the Senior Management Appointment Committee make arrangements for recruitment and selection to the post of Managing Director.
(4) T H A T the role profile included in Appendix A to the report be used as the basis for preparation of the job description and person specification for the post of Managing Director referred to in Recommendation (3).
(5) T H A T the salary for the post of Managing Director referred to in Recommendation (3) be set at £127,133 and subject to Joint National Council for Chief Executives in Local Authorities terms and conditions.'
The Welsh Government had recently declined the Council's application of expression of interest to seek a merger with Bridgend Council, the Minister having declined all such applications registered by interested local authorities.
Given the above, it was now, therefore, necessary to commence the recruitment process and to progress arrangements for the appointment to the post of Managing Director and in accordance with the above decision of Council.
It was proposed to progress to advertise the post both internally and externally and to conclude the selection arrangements as soon as practicable with a view to holding final interviews during March 2015.
On conclusion of the final interviews, the Committee would be entitled to recommend a candidate to be appointed to Full Council for ratification. It was hoped that a successful candidate could be recruited and take up appointment as soon as practicable to progress further Senior Management restructuring arrangements.
In accordance with the decision of the Council of 17th December, 2014, the Job / Role profile as supplied by the Hay Group and as attached to the report had been used as a basis to compile a new Job Description and Person specification for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service.
The draft Job Description and Person Specification for the new position had been reviewed by the Hay Group, who had confirmed that the revised documents aligned with their recommendations in respect of both the salary and job content as recommended within their report.
A tender to provide media publicity and adverting campaign to support the Council had been concluded in accordance with the National Procurement requirements.
As a result, Golley Slater had been selected to provide media assistance to the recruitment campaign. A selection of draft advertisements and a list of suggested publicity options, including publicity charges had been supplied and were considered by the Committee.
As with all senior appointments, the Council would use a range of recruitment and assessment measures to assist the selection of suitable of candidates at the later stages of the selection process. In this context, negotiations had been held with Solace Enterprises, who had confirmed their ability to provide specialist selection and assessment support to the Council.
A copy of the draft Recruitment Plan, including potential dates and actions in respect of the recruitment and selection process was also considered by the Committee. This included reference to the Committee reconvening as appropriate in order to confirm the long, and shortlisting arrangements and to conduct the final interviews.
(1) T H A T the recruitment and selection arrangements for the above post and all relevant documentation and procedures, as set out in the report, be approved.
(2) T H A T the revised draft Job Description and Person specification for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service be approved.
(3) T H A T the appointment of Solace Enterprises to support the selection and assessment process be approved.
(4) T H A T the Manager Director be requested to finalise advertising details in order to progress the recruitment process.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure the appointment is undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Council Constitution.
(2) To define the role, responsibilities and qualities in respect of the post.
(3/4) To assist the Committee to progress the selection and assessment process.