SENIOR MANAGEMENT APPOINTMENT COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 15th December, 2016.
Present: Councillor N. Moore (Chairman); Councillor L. Burnett (Vice-Chairman); Councillors R.A. Penrose and J.W. Thomas.
Also present: Councillors Ms B.E. Brooks and P. King (relevant Cabinet portfolios Members) and Mr. S. Guest (Solace in Business) – Agenda Item 4 only.
636 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –
These were received from Councillors S.C. Egan and C.P. Franks.
637 MINUTES –
RESOLVED – T H A T the minutes of the meeting held on 27th September, 2016 be approved as a correct record.
638 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST –
No declarations were received.
639 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE HEAD OF HOUSING AND BUILDING SERVICES (DEH) –
The Committee gave consideration to a report prepared by Solace in Business which set out the outcome of a recent market testing exercise in respect of the above post. In addition, the Committee received verbal feedback from Mr. Guest in regard to the specific aspects of the market testing exercise and the possible reasons why the Council had not been able to attract a sufficiently high calibre of candidates for the post when advertising in September 2016.
As part of the above feedback, the Committee also considered options in regard to a future recruitment strategy, marketing the role to open up the audience with a view to attracting “generalist / strategic managerial” applicants and the timing of a future recruitment marketing campaign.
Having regard to the above, it was
(1) T H A T the Solace in Business report be noted.
(2) T H A T the future recruitment campaign be search led and to include specialist and generalist candidates.
(3) T H A T a further report be submitted to the Committee early in the New Year seeking agreement on the full details of the amended recruitment and selection arrangements for the post.
Reasons for decisions
(1) In acknowledgement of the contents of the report.
(2&3) To establish and agree the most appropriate recruitment and selection arrangements for the post to best ensure a larger number of suitable applicants / candidates when the post is re-advertised.
640 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE POST OF THE DIRECTOR OF LEARNING AND SKILLS (MD) –
The Committee was apprised that the post was currently being undertaken on a temporary “acting” arrangement by the Council’s Head of Strategy (Community Learning and Resources). However, there was now a need to make a permanent appointment to ensure stable leadership for the Directorate. Accordingly, it was now necessary to commence the recruitment process and progress arrangements for the permanent appointment to the post in accordance with the Council’s normal Chief Officer recruitment and selection procedures. Consequently, it was proposed to advertise the post (internally and externally) during January 2017 with a view to concluding final interviews during early March 2017.
A copy of the Job Description and Person Specification was attached to the report for the Committee’s consideration. In addition, tabled for the Committee’s consideration was a draft recruitment schedule, draft adverts, details of a suggested advertising campaign and projected costs. The Committee also noted that the Head of Human Resources would undertake an exercise to identify an appropriate organisation to undertake an assessment centre / psychometric testing ensuring best value for money.
In considering the draft adverts, Committee Members considered that the wording contained within the same should be amended to better promote the Council’s achievements and the benefits of living and working in the County. The Committee also considered the draft recruitment schedule timetable and requested that this be amended to require the advertising campaign to commence from 13th January, 2017.
Having regard to the above, it was
(1) T H A T the Job Description and the Person Specification as attached to the report be approved.
(2) T H A T Members of the Committee be requested to submit any comments on the wording of the draft advert to the Leader and the Head of Human Resources for approval.
(3) T H A T the revised adverts be advertised on TES Online only and in the Western Mail publication, including online, with the advertising campaign commencing from 13th January, 2017.
(4) T H A T the revised “signpost advert” be repeated in Western Mail Online only from 20th January, 2017.
(5) T H A T the recruitment and selection timetable as tabled at the meeting be approved.
Reason for decisions
(1-5) To ensure that the appointment was progressed in accordance with the requirements of the Council’s Constitution.