SENIOR MANAGEMENT APPOINTMENT COMMITTEE
Minutes of a meeting held on 27th April, 2017.
Present: Councillor N. Moore (Chairman); Councillor L. Burnett (Vice-Chairman); Councillors C.P. Franks and J.W. Thomas.
1044 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE -
These were received from Councillors S.C. Egan and R.A. Penrose.
1045 MINUTES -
RESOLVED - T H A T the minutes of the meetings held on 30th March and 5th April, 2017, be approved as a correct record.
1046 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST -
No declarations were received.
1047 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE HEAD OF STRATEGY, COMMUNITY LEARNING AND RESOURCES (DLS) -
RESOLVED - T H A T the Job Description and Person Specification attached at Appendix 1 and 2 respectively to the report be noted, with the consideration of the application form and interview of the candidate to take place under Part II provisions later in the Committee’s agenda.
1048 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE HEAD OF ADULT SERVICES/LOCALITY MANAGER (DSS) -
The report set out proposed recruitment and selection arrangements for the above position, it being noted that the post was a joint appointment with the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (UHB).
Taking account of the joint nature of the appointment, it would be necessary to establish a Joint Advisory Group to undertake the final shortlisting and interview process for the post. It was therefore proposed that the establishment of the above Group would be undertaken over the course of the next two weeks and if necessary any relevant issues be taken into account by the Full Council when Committees were to be reappointed including Terms of Reference considered at the Annual Meeting on 24th May, 2017.
Subject to the approval of the Job Description and Person Specification and the associated advert including, the proposals to advertise the post in Community Care Online, Wales Online, internally to other local authorities and Health Boards. It was intended, following receipt of applications, to undertake the long-listing exercise of suitable candidates by the end of May 2017, by the Director of Social Services and representatives from the UHB as appropriate, with the subsequent meeting of the Joint Advisory Group meeting to finalise and interview all short-listed candidates and make a recommendation for appointment.
It was envisaged that the above exercise would be undertaken during mid-June subject to the availability of representatives from both partner agencies, with the final appointment decision requiring ratification by the Committee.
Having given consideration to the above matters it was
(1) T H A T the initial selection and recruitment arrangements for the vacant post of Head of Adult Services/Locality Manager within the Directorate of Social Services as set out in the report, be approved.
(2) T H A T the Director of Social Services be authorised to undertake the initial long-listing arrangements of the post concerned, in consultation with UHB partners, for this Committee’s endorsement.
(3) T H A T a Joint Advisory Group be established, comprising of representatives from the Council Senior Management Appointment Committee and the UHB, who would undertake final shortlisting, conducting final interviews and appointing to the post.
(4) T H A T the Membership of the Joint Advisory Group, subject to preliminary discussions by the Director of Social Services in consultation with the UHB, be confirmed following the re-appointment of the Committee at the Council’s Annual Meeting on 24th May, 2017.
(5) T H A T Resolutions (2) - (4) above be taken into account when Committee’s are reappointed and the Terms of Reference considered at the Annual Meeting on 24th May, 2017.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure that the selection, recruitment and appointment arrangements for the position of Head of Adult Services/Locality Manager are progressed.
(2) To progress the recruitment arrangements.
(3&4) To establish manageable joint arrangements for recruitment of the post.
(5) To take account of any relevant approvals required of this joint arrangement.
1049 EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC -
RESOLVED - T H A T under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 4 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act, the relevant paragraphs of the Schedule being referred to in brackets after the minute heading.
1050 RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE HEAD OF STRATEGY, COMMUNITY LEARNING AND RESOURCES (DLS) -
The Committee received a presentation and interviewed the candidate in respect of the above post.
Having given due consideration it was
RESOLVED - T H A T B be appointed to the post of Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources, with the appointment being made at the first salary point of Head of Service salary range, with effect from 1st May, 2017.