Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: 13 DECEMBER 2016
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 28 NOVEMBER 2016
C3375 SICKNESS ABSENCE REPORT – APRIL 2016 TO SEPTEMBER 2016 (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -
Cabinet was updated on the sickness absence information for the half year period 1 April, 2016 to 30 September, 2016.
The levels of sickness absence within the Council were reported to Cabinet every six months. An action plan was approved by Cabinet on 27 July, 2015 to address the issue of sickness absence and the slight increase in levels in previous years.
The report set out the sickness absence information for the period 1 April, 2016 to 30 September, 2016 including corporate and schools employees. It also included details of sickness absence figures for the period 1 April, 2015 to 30 September, 2015 for comparative purposes.
After presenting this item, the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education was pleased to note that there was an overall downward trend in sickness absence from April 2015 – September 2016 in comparison to the same period last year.
The Head of Human Resources commented that these results highlighted that the Performance Management Approach was working. He further highlighted the table included in paragraph 16 of the report, and was pleased to note that sickness absence due to stress had dropped.
The Cabinet Member for Visible, Leisure and Regulatory Services highlighted Appendix A attached to the report and was pleased to note that the absence rates in his directorate had fallen by 1.37 days, and he wished to thank everyone who had contributed to this reduction. The Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education concurred with her colleague and wished to extend her thanks to staff.
The Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Services and Transportation highlighted paragraphs 43 and 44 of the report which showed that the Vale of Glamorgan Council was in the top quartile for the lowest sickness rates for Local Authorities in Wales.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the report and the half yearly sickness absence figures provided in Appendix A and Appendix B attached to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the Management of Attendance action plan attached at Appendix C to the report be noted.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee Corporate Performance & Resources for consideration.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the sickness absence figures attached at Appendix A and B to the report in line with Corporate Objectives.
(2) To note the Management of Attendance action plan attached at Appendix C to the report.
(3) To enable the Scrutiny Committee Corporate Performance and Resources to maintain a continued focus on the management of sickness absence throughout all services of the Council.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 28 NOVEMBER 2016