Top

Top

 

Agenda Item No. 4

 

THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL

 

CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: 16 FEBRUARY 2017

 

REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 23 JANUARY 2017

 

 

C3433         STAFF CHARTER – UPDATE FROM EMPLOYEE SURVEY (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -

 

Cabinet was updated on the results from the recent 2016 Employee Survey and related activity as part of the promotion of the Staff Charter.

 

The Council's first Staff Charter was launched on 19 September, 2016 and was launched as an important part of the Council's Reshaping Service Programme. Its aim was to set out the basis (and related expectations) of a new 'employment relationship' in response to current financial and service challenges.

 

The Charter was designed following a year-long engagement process involving both trade union representatives and over 1800 employees in a number of briefing sessions, conferences and working groups.

 

The aim of the Charter was to provide clarity about the expectations of our employees in a reshaped world (in terms of flexibility, performance and contribution) but also to be clear about those things that employees could expect from their managers in terms of trust, support, clarity of expectation and respect.

 

A copy of the updated action plan to support the implementation of the Staff Charter was set out in Appendix 2 attached to the report. This set out current progress in relation to the main areas of activity including communications, staff development, leadership and engagement.

 

As part of the launch of the Staff Charter it was important to undertake an employee survey. This was necessary in order to set a benchmark for current staff engagement levels and against which future Staff Charter related activity could be measured.

 

The employee survey ran for a six week period between 19 September and 30 October, 2016 and was sent to some 2563 employees across the Council's four directorates. 61% of the surveys were sent out electronically via e-mail and the remaining 39% were sent via hard copy to home addresses.

 

As part of the survey employees were asked to score each of the 20 expectations within the Charter using the following scale: 1 (Strongly Agree), 2 (Agree), 3 (Neither Agree nor Disagree), 4 (Disagree) and 5 (Strongly Disagree).

 

A detailed analysis of the results from the employee survey was set out in the document attached at Appendix 1 to the report and included an analysis of engagement levels by directorate, service area, length of service and grade.

 

At the meeting the Leader and other Cabinet Members commended the Head of Human Resources and gave thanks to staff for their hard work on the Staff Charter and the remarkable responses received from the employee survey. They were especially pleased with the engagement rate and number of responses received, and that the Council’s values were being communicated across all departments and grades.

 

In response, the Head of Human Resources highlighted that the overall average response rate to the 20 expectations within the Staff Charter was 71% (i.e. strongly agreeing or agreeing). This was an encouragingly high score and would set the benchmark for future engagement work and the subsequent survey next September.

 

This was a matter for Executive decision

 

Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein

 

RESOLVED –

 

(1)       T H A T the results from the 2016 Employee Survey as set out in Appendix 1 attached to the report be noted alongside related activity as part of the Council's Staff Charter.

 

(2)       T H A T the updated action plan attached at Appendix 2 to the report be noted and endorsed.

 

(3)       T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Performance & Resources) for consideration.

 

(4)       T H A T the report be circulated to all Members for information.

 

Reasons for decisions

 

(1)       To note the current levels of employee engagement and as a baseline to measure the success of future 'Staff Charter' development work.

 

(2)       To note the ongoing staff engagement work and its congruence with the objectives of the Staff Charter.

 

(3)       To enable the Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Performance & Resources) to maintain a continued focus on this key area of workforce planning activity.

 

(4)       To ensure that all Members were aware of progress in relation to staff engagement.

 

 

Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 23 JANUARY 2017

 

 

Share on facebook Like us on Facebook