Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
HOMES AND SAFE COMMUNITIES SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: 18 MAY 2016
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 25 APRIL 2016
C3161 VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL HOUSING – POLICY ON APPLICATION OF THE WELSH HOUSNG QUALITY STANDARD (HBMCS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – HOUSING AND PUBLIC PROTECTION) -
Cabinet was presented with a policy on Application of the Welsh Housing Quality Standards (WHQS), as required by Welsh Government. As a housing landlord the Council had a statutory duty to meet WHQS and had set a target to achieve the standard in 2017. To achieve this standard, the Council was following the guidance set out in comprehensive documents produced by the Welsh Government.
There was potential within the guidance for a difference of interpretation by social landlords in meeting the requirements of WHQS. The Welsh Government had requested each social landlord to provide a policy on its application of the standard.
A consultation event had been held with tenants to obtain feedback on how tenants would wish the guidance to be interpreted. This feedback had been used to develop the policy that was attached to the report at Appendix 1.
The policy provided the Council’s application of the Welsh Housing Quality Standard as it would be applied to all its own housing stock and this should be read in conjunction with the guidance provided by Welsh Government on application of the standard. A copy of the standard was provided at Appendix 2 attached to the report.
Within the policy was a ‘Certificate of Compliance’ which had to be provided to each tenant when they commence a new tenancy. This certificate provided confirmation the property met WHQS and where this is not possible, the certificate provided details of all ‘acceptable fails’ recorded at the property.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the draft; ‘Vale of Glamorgan Council Housing – Policy on Application of the Welsh Housing Quality Standard', attached at Appendix 1 to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) for consideration and comment.
(3) T H A T the matter be referred back to Cabinet for approval on completion of resolution 2 above.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To review the draft ‘Vale of Glamorgan Council Housing – Policy on Application of the Welsh Housing Quality Standard’ as required by the Welsh Government, to enable the matter to be considered by the appropriate Scrutiny Committee.
(2) To permit the matter to be considered by the appropriate Scrutiny Committee.
(3) To allow Cabinet to agree the policy with the benefit of all relevant Scrutiny Committee comments.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 25 APRIL 2016