Agenda Item No. 5
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
LEARNING AND CULTURE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: 12 DECEMBER 2016
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 28 NOVEMBER 2016
C3374 DRAFT WELSH LANGUAGE PROMOTION STRATEGY (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – LEARNING AND CULTURE) -
Endorsement was sought of the Council's draft Welsh Language Promotion Strategy, that was attached at Appendix A to the report, prior to consultation.
The Welsh Language Commissioner issued every local authority in Wales with a Compliance Notice, which included a list of 172 Standards, in September 2015.
Standard 145 of the Compliance Notice required the Council to produce and publish a 5 year strategy which set out how the Council would promote and facilitate the use of the Welsh Language more widely in the Vale of Glamorgan
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the draft Welsh Language Promotion Strategy attached at Appendix A to the report be approved for public consultation.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committee Learning and Culture for consideration as part of the consultation process.
(3) T H A T a further report be presented to Cabinet outlining the results of the consultation in due course.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To comply with the requirements of the Welsh Language Wales Measure.
(2) To ensure the Scrutiny Committee Learning and Culture, as the lead Scrutiny Committee in respect of the Welsh language, considered the strategy during the consultation period.
(3) To consider any necessary issues arising from the consultation.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 28 NOVEMBER 2016