Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
LEARNING AND CULTURE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE: 12 DECEMBER 2016
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 14 NOVEMBER 2016
C3365 DRAFT WELSH MEDIUM IN EDUCATION STRATEGIC PLAN 2017 – 2020 (RE) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – LEARNING AND CULTURE) -
Cabinet was informed of the draft Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020.
In 2010, Welsh Government published the Welsh Medium Education Strategy, outlining 5 outcomes for Local Authorities to enable growth in Welsh medium education.
The guidance formed part of the Council's broad strategy for the Welsh language and contained an action plan for the development of Welsh education in the Vale of Glamorgan.
The last Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan was published in 2014, outlining the actions the Council would take to support the enhancement of Welsh medium education and improve outcomes.
This year, Welsh Government had outlined a vision to see one million Welsh speakers by 2050. The aim of the Welsh Medium Education Strategy 2017-2020 was to support this by building on the achievements of the previous strategy, and through further promotion of the use and benefits of Welsh medium education in lifelong learning.
The consultation on the draft document opened on 3 November, 2016 and would run up to 29 December, 2016 as part of Welsh Government's statutory consultation process. Members would have the opportunity to comment on and approve a fuller version prior to final submission to Welsh Government in January.
An updated draft copy of the Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020 was due to be submitted to Welsh Government by 20 December, 2016 with an opportunity to further amend and refine the plan as a result of the Consultation exercise.
The Council was required to include data related to performance against the following targets within the Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020 Action Plan:
• more seven-year-old children being taught through the medium of Welsh as a percentage of the Year 2 cohort;
• more learners continuing to improve their language skills on transfer from primary school to secondary school;
• more learners studying for qualifications through the medium of Welsh;
• more learners aged 16-19 studying Welsh and subjects through the medium of Welsh; and
• more learners with improved skills in Welsh.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the draft Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020 attached at Appendix A (English version) and Appendix B (Welsh version) attached to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T delegated authority be granted to the interim Director of Learning and Skills, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Education, to make any changes to the Welsh Medium Education Strategy 2017-2020 and its submission to Welsh Government.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committee Learning and Culture for consideration as part of the consultation process.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the draft Welsh Medium Education Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020.
(2) To address the requirements of the measure which became statutory in 2012 following consultation on School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Bill; White Paper.
(3) To ensure the Scrutiny Committee Learning and Culture consider the plan during the consultation period.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 14 NOVEMBER 2016