Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 9th February 2015
Report of the Leader
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Position of Managing Director
Purpose of the Report
1. To set out the recruitment and selection arrangements for the substantive post of the Managing Director.
1. To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the above post and all relevant documentation and procedures as set out in this report.
2. To approve the revised draft Job Description and Person specification for the post of Managing Director & Head of Paid Service
3. To approve the appointment of Solace Enterprises to support the selection and assessment process..
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure the appointment is undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Council Constitution.
2 To define the role, responsibilities and qualities in respect of the post.
3. To assist the Committee to progress the selection and assessment process.
2. Members will be aware that the senior management proposals were approved by Council on the 17th December 2014 which included the following decisions-
THAT if for any reason a shared Chief Executive is not possible, Option 3 be approved and the Senior Management Appointment Committee make arrangements for recruitment and selection to the post of Managing Director
THAT the role profile included in Appendix A to the report be used as the basis for preparation of the job description and person specification for the post of Managing Director referred to in Recommendation (3).
THAT the salary for the post of Managing Director referred to in Recommendation (3) be set at £127,133 and subject to Joint National Council for Chief Executives in Local Authorities terms and conditions.
3. For the information of Members the relevant links to the report to the Council including the supporting documentation along with the link to the decision of the Council (Council Minute number 715) are as follow-
4. Members will be aware of the recent decision of the Welsh Government to decline the Council's application of expression of interest to seek a merger with Bridgend CBC the Minister having declined all such applications registered by interested local authorities.
5. Given the above, it is now, therefore necessary to commence the recruitment process and to progress arrangements for the appointment to the post of Managing Director and in accordance with the decision of the Council of the 17th December 2014 (Council Minute 715 refers).
Relevant Issues and Options
6. On the basis of the above it is proposed to progress to advertise the post both internally and externally and to conclude the selection arrangements as soon as practicable with a view to holding final interviews during March 2015.
7. On conclusion of the final interview the Committee will be entitled to recommend a candidate to be appointed to the full Council for ratification. It is hoped that a successful candidate can be recruited and take up appointment as soon as practicable to progress further Senior Management restructuring arrangements.
8. In accordance with the decision of the Council, the Job/Role profile as supplied by the Hay group and as attached at Appendix A has been used as a basis to compile a new Job Description and Person specification for the post of Managing Director.
9. For the information of the Committee, attached at Appendix B and C are copies of the former Chief Executives Job Description and Person Specification.
10. Attached at Appendix D and E are copies of the draft Job Description and Person Specification for the new position of Managing Director. The Hay Group have reviewed the new draft Job Description and the Person Specification for the post of Managing Director and have confirmed that the revised documents align with their recommendations in respect of both the salary and job content as recommended within their report.
11. The Committee is asked in particular to consider and approve the attached revised draft Job Description and draft Person Specification for the post of Managing Director & Head of Paid Service to assist recruitment to the post..
12. A tender to provide media publicity and adverting campaign to support the Council has been concluded in accordance with the National Procurement requirements. Invitations were sought from four agencies as defined by the procurement provisions. The process attracted three replies which were considered by the Head of Finance and the Operational Manager (HR).
13. On the basis of the quality of the tender submissions, previous advertisements and the estimated production costs Golley Slater were selected to provide media assistance to the recruitment campaign. The agency has been asked to run the publicity campaign which will include the provision of a selection of draft adverts and suggested media and associated costs for the Committee to consider..
14. The draft advertisements and a list of suggested publicity options including publicity charges will be supplied by the Agency. Depending when these are received will determine whether the documents will be circulated prior to the meeting or tabled at the meeting of the Committee.
15. Members will appreciate that with all Senior appointments the Council use a range of recruitment and assessment measures to assist the selection of suitable of candidates at the later stages of the selection process. In this context, negotiations have been held with Solace Enterprises who have confirmed their ability to provide specialist selection and assessment support to the Council. Solace Enterprises have supplied the following work programme:-
To receive brief, design assessment centre, review candidate submissions, administer in-tray exercise, personality questions and relevant occupational, psychometric tests, identify questions at a relevant stages, deliver the assessment centre, report back findings to the Council, design presentation, feedback to candidates and the Committee.
16. The costs in respect of the above provision are set out within the Resources section of this report (a copy of letter received from Solace Enterprises will be available for members to consider at the meeting of the Committee).
17. A copy of the draft Recruitment plan including dates and actions in respect of the recruitment and selection process is set out within Appendix F of the report for members to consider.
18. It will be necessary to reconvene the Senior Management Appointments Committee in order to confirm the long and short listing arrangements and then again to conduct the final interviews.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
19. In addition to those as identified within the report to Council on 17th December 2014 it is anticipated that the costs of the Advertising agency to produce and administer the advert to publication will fall within the region of £500 plus VAT.
20. As well as the above Agency costs there will be media publication costs which will depend on the size and in which media/publication where the advert is placed. A selection of draft advertisements and suggested media including an estimate of the publicity costs will be supplied to Members to consider on or before the meeting on the 9th February 2015.
21. The provision of Assessment and Selection support from Solace Enterprises will cost £4,980 plus VAT, assessment licence costs as appropriate, travel and accommodation and associated printing and postage.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
22. Set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
23. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
24. The proposals within this report have been designed to help meet the financial objectives as set out in the Medium Term Financial Plan.
25. The proposals within this report have been designed to help meet the requirements of the senior management restructure and specifically to ensure the continued management of the Council following the retirement of the current Managing Director and Director of Resources..
Policy Framework and Budget
26. The final decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee to appoint a Managing Director will need to be referred for ratification by the Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
27. Set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
28. Corporate Resources
Council Report of 17th December 2014.
A Unsworth, Operational Manager - Tel: 01446 709359.
See paragraph 15 above
Cllr N Moore, Leader - Tel 01446 709470