Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 10th March 2015
Report of the Leader
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for Managing Director and Head of Paid Service
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service and to ask the Committee to identify a long-list of candidates for preliminary assessment and future steps as set out within this report.
1. To note the information presented within the report and confirm a long-list of candidates to proceed to Assessment Centre, future Committee dates and next steps in the selection process.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure the appointment proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee approved the advertisement, media and recruitment process for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service on the 9th February November 2015.
3. As a result of the above, an advert was placed during the week commencing the 16th February 2015 in the Local Government Chronicle and "on line" within the Guardian, the Western Mail with a closing date of Friday 6th March 2015.
4. The advert was also circulated through the membership database of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives (Solace) and also included on their website.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. As a result of the above it is intended to circulate the application forms in respect of this appointment received by the Council and a schedule of all candidates to each member of the Committee during the late afternoon of Friday 6th March (ie: following the 4pm deadline on the closing date). Clearly Members will be required to treat this documentation in strict confidence.
6. Following receipt of the application forms Members are asked to consider each application in advance of the meeting and to bring all the application forms and associated documentation to the meeting of the Committee on the 10th March 2015.
7. Attached at Appendix A is a copy of the agreed Job Description and at Appendix B a copy of the agreed Person Specification which Members should use to assist their consideration and final determination of those candidates that most closely meet the essential requirements of the post.
8. The above arrangements will enable Members to consider the suitability of candidates in advance of the meeting of the Committee on the 10th March 2015 at which members of the Committee will be invited to consider in further detail and to identify a long list of suitable candidates to progress to the Assessment Centre.
9. The Assessment Centre will assess the professional competence and behaviours of long listed candidates through the use of a suite of multiple simulation exercises. As agreed at the last meeting of the Committee the Assessment Centre will be delivered by Solace Enterprises and will include a technical interview with the current Managing Director and the Technical Adviser (a former local authority Chief Executive) identified by Solace Enterprises. The external Technical Adviser will be attending at each meeting of the Committee to assist members in the recruitment and selection process.
10. The Assessment Centre will be held on Tuesday 17th March 2015 in the Civic Offices, Barry (an additional day of Monday 16th March 2015 has also been provisionally set aside should the number of candidates exceed seven).
11. In addition to the above, candidates selected for long listing will be asked to undertake a variety of "on line" psychometric and ability tests in advance of their attendance at the Assessment Centre.
12. At the meeting of this Committee scheduled for the 18th March 2015 the Technical Assistant will provide feedback on candidates following their attendance at the Assessment Centre which should help Members to determine a final short list for interview by the Committee.
13. On conclusion of the above, the Committee will meet on Tuesday the 24th March 2015 to receive a presentation and the opportunity for Members to interview short listed candidates and to determine if a suitable candidate can be identified for appointment to the position.
14. The decision of the Committee will be referred for ratification at the Special Meeting of the Council on Wednesday 25th March 2015.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
15. The background to the recruitment to the post together with resource implications were set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014 and in the report to the Senior Management Appointment Committee of the 9th February 2015.
16. In the event that eight or more candidates are long listed this would necessitate an additional day for Solace Enterprises to conduct the Assessment Centre which would attract an additional cost above those estimated and approved to date.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
17. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
18. As set out within the report to Council on the 17th December 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
19. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
20. The recruitment process within this and the previous Committee report have been managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the requirements of the Local Authorities (Standing Order) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
21. The proposals within this report have been designed to help meet the requirements of the senior management restructure and specifically to ensure the continued management of the Council following the retirement of the current Managing Director and Director of Resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
22. Confirmation of the appointment of Head of Paid Service is a mandatory Council function. As alluded to earlier in the report, a Special Council Meeting has been arranged for 25th March 2015 for this purpose.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
23. As set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
24. Corporate Resources.
Report to Senior Management Appointment Committee : 9th February 2015.
Council Report :17th December 2014.
A Unsworth, Operational Manager (Human Resources) - Tel: 01446 709359.
Operational Manager (Democratic Services).
Cllr N Moore, Leader - Tel: 01446 709470