Agenda Item No 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 18 March 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer
Purpose of the Report
1. To set out the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer.
1. To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the above post and all relevant documentation as set out in this report.
2. To approve the appointment of Solace Enterprises to support the assessment centre process if considered necessary.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure appointment in accordance with the requirements of the Council's
2. To assist the Committee to progress the selection and assessment process.
2. On the 4th March 2015 Council approved the need to recruit to the role of Head of Finance as a result of the retirement of the current postholder on 19th July 2015.
3. At the same meeting Council agreed to amend the role of the Head of Finance so as to formally include the statutory role of Section 151 Officer on a substantive basis. Prior to this, the duties were carried out by the postholder on a temporary basis and paid for by way of an additional honorarium payment.
4. It is clearly important that arrangements are put in place to recruit to the post as soon as possible given the statutory responsibilities carried by the postholder and the need to ensure a seamless transition of such responsibility.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. On the basis of the above it is proposed to advertise the post and to conclude the selection arrangements as soon as practicable with a view to holding final interviews during the middle part of May 2015.
6. A copy of the job description and person specification is attached at Appendix A and Appendix B respectively. Appendix C contains a draft recruitment schedule. A draft advert will be tabled for consideration at the meeting.
7. Given the seniority of the post the committee may wish to consider utilising the services of Solace Enterprises to facilitate the initial assessment centre process including appropriate occupational and psychometric tests. Further details about this (including costs) will be provided at the meeting on the 18 March 2015.
8. Following the meeting on the 18th March 2015 it will be necessary to reconvene the Senior Management Appointment Committee to confirm long and short listing arrangements and then again to conduct the final interviews.
9. It is suggested that dates for the above be agreed at the meeting of this Committee on the 18th March 2015 based on the provisional schedule as set out in Appendix C.
10. It is hoped that a successful candidate can be recruited to take up appointment from the 20th July 2015 or as soon as practicable thereafter. Such an appointment will be reported to the Council meeting on 24th June 2015.
11. Should there be a delay in the process or a delay in the successful candidate taking up appointment then interim arrangements will need to be considered. It is suggested that this is considered at a later meeting of this Committee should the need arise.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
12. The advertising costs will depend on the media/publications chosen by Committee. Details of this together with assessment centre support costs will be provided on the day of the Committee.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
14. The Council has a statutory responsibility to designate one of its officers as a Section 151 Officer. The recommendations within this report seek to ensure that this statutory responsibility is fulfilled.
Crime and Disorder Implications
15. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
16. The recruitment process will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
17. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure a sustainable management structure for the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
18. The decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be referred for information to Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
19. Consultation has taken place with the Managing Director, Head of Human Resources, Corporate Management Team. The decision to recruit to the post was endorsed by Cabinet on 23 February and approved by Council on 4 March 2015
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
See paragraph 19 above
Sian Davies, Managing Director