Agenda Item No 3
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 18th March 2015
Report of the Leader
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for Managing Director and Head of Paid Service
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm a short-list of candidates for final interview by the Committee on the 24th March 2015.
1. To note the information presented and the arrangements as set out within this report, and for Members to confirm a short list of candidates for final interview by the Committee on Tuesday 24th March 2015.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure the appointment proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 10th March 2015 to consider all the applications received in respect of the post of Managing Director and Head of Paid Service.
3. At the meeting of the Committee held on the 10th March 2015 Members reaffirmed their previous decision for the Assessment Centre to be delivered on the 17th March 2015 by Solace Enterprises including a technical interview of the long-listed candidates with the Managing Director and the external Technical Adviser as identified by Solace Enterprises.
4. In addition to the above, candidates selected for long listing will have undertaken a variety of "on line" psychometric and ability tests during week commencing 9th March 2015 in advance of their attendance at the Assessment Centre
5. As a result of the above Members agreed at the meeting of the 10th March 2015 a long-list of 7 candidates to be invited to attend at Assessment Centre from those candidates who submitted an application for the post.
6. Members will recall that the focus of the Assessment Centre would provide a means to assess the professional competence and behaviours of long listed candidates through the use of a suite of multiple simulation exercises.
7. The external Technical Adviser who attended the meeting of the Committee on the 10th March 2015 will attend at this and at the next meeting of the Committee to assist Members in the recruitment and selection process.
Relevant Issues and Options
8. In accordance with the above the 7 long-listed candidates have been invited to undertake the "on line" psychometric and ability tests and also to attend for preliminary assessment at the Assessment Centre which will be conducted by Solace Enterprises on the 17th March 2015.
9. At the meeting of this Committee the Technical Assistant will provide feedback along with a summary of the outcome of the assessment process on each candidate following their "on line tests" and their attendance at the Assessment Centre. This should help Members to determine a final short list of candidates for interview by the Committee.
10. Attached at Appendix A is a copy of the agreed Job Description and at Appendix B a copy of the agreed Person Specification which Members should continue to use to assist their consideration to identify those candidates that most closely meet the essential requirements of the post.
11. The above arrangements will enable Members to consider (as "exempt" information under Access to Information legislation) the suitability of candidates in advance of the meeting of the Committee on the 24 March 2015 at which Members of the Committee will conduct the final interview of those candidates short-listed by the Committee.
12. On conclusion of the above and as previously agreed by Members, the Committee will meet on Tuesday the 24th March 2015 to receive a presentation along with the opportunity for Members to interview short listed candidates and to determine if a suitable candidate can be identified for appointment to the position.
13. As previously advised, the decision of the Committee will be referred for ratification at the Special Meeting of the Council on Wednesday 25th March 2015.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
14. The background to the recruitment to the post together with resource implications were set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014 and in the report to the Senior Management Appointment Committee of the 9th February and the 10th March 2015.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
15. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
16. As set out within the report to Council on the 17th December 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
17. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
18. The recruitment process within this and the previous Committee report have been managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the requirements of the Local Authorities (Standing Order) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
19. The proposals within this report have been designed to help meet the requirements of the senior management restructure and specifically to ensure the continued management of the Council following the retirement of the current Managing Director and Director of Resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
20. Confirmation of the appointment of Head of Paid Service is a mandatory Council function. As alluded to earlier in this and previous reports, a Special Council Meeting has been arranged for 25th March 2015 for this purpose.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
21. As set out in the report to Council on 17th December 2014.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
22. Corporate Resources.
Senior Management Appointment Committee 9th February 2015.
Senior Management Appointment Committee 10th March 2015.
Council Report of 17th December 2014.
A Unsworth, Operational Manager (Human Resources) - Tel: 01446 709359.
Cllr N Moore, Leader - Tel: 01446 709470