Agenda Item No. 3
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 28 April 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm a short-list of candidates for final interview on the 12 May 2015.
To note the information set out in this report and to confirm a short-list of candidates for final interview on the 12 May 2015.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure that the appointment for the post proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 21 April 2015 to consider all applications received for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer.
3. Following consideration at the above meeting it was agreed that 6 candidates would be invited for preliminary assessment at an assessment centre on the 27 April 2015.
4. It was agreed that the assessment centre would be facilitated by Solace Enterprises and would provide a means of assessing the professional competence and related behaviours of the long-listed candidates through the use of a suite of exercises.
5. The process would be supplemented by additional on-line psychometric and ability testing and a technical interview undertaken by the Managing Director.
6. It was agreed that the information gathered as part of the assessment centre (and related activities) would be fed-back to this Committee on the 28th April in order to help determine a final short-list.
Relevant Issues and Options
7. All long-listed candidates have been invited to attend for preliminary assessment at the assessment centre on the 27 April 2015.
8. At the meeting of this Committee a representative from Solace Enterprises will be available to provide a summary of the outcome of the assessment centre for each candidate.
9. The Managing Director will also provide a summary of the outcomes from the technical interviews at the Committee meeting.
10. The above will help Members to determine a final short-list of candidates for interview by this Committee on the 12 May 2015.
11. Attached at Appendix A and B are copies of the agreed Job Description and Person Specification which Members should continue to use to assist in the assessment of the candidates and the framing of a final short-list.
12 The final interviews for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer have been scheduled for the afternoon of the 12 May 2015.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
13. The background information relating to this recruitment exercise was set out in the report to this Committee on the 18 March 2015 together with resource implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
15. The Council has a statutory responsibility to designate one of its officers as a Section 151 Officer. The recommendations within this report seek to ensure that this statutory responsibility is fulfilled.
Crime and Disorder Implications
16. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
17. The recruitment process will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
18. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure a sustainable management structure for the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
19. The decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be referred for information to Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
20. Consultation has taken place with the Managing Director, Head of Human Resources, Corporate Management Team. The decision to recruit to the post was endorsed by Cabinet on 23 February and approved by Council on 4 March 2015
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
See paragraph 20 above
Sian Davies, Managing Director