Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee - 12th May 2015
Report of Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm (following interview) a suitable candidate for appointment.
1. To interview all candidates as short-listed by this Committee on the 28th April 2015 with a view to making an appointment to the post.
2. To delegate appointment details, as appropriate to the Head of Human Resources in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the appointment for the post proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. As 1 above.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 28th April 2015 to finalise a short-list of candidates for the post of Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer.
3. The determination of the short-list followed the preliminary assessment of 5 long-listed candidates at an Assessment Centre on the 27th April 2015. One further long-listed candidate had withdrawn from the process prior to the Assessment Centre.
4. The Assessment Centre was facilitated by Solace Enterprises and included a range of exercises to assess the professional competence and related behaviours of the long-listed candidates.
5. The process was supplemented by additional on-line psychometric and ability testing and a technical interview undertaken by the Managing Director, Director of Development Services and the current Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer.
6. All information gathered from the Assessment Centre (and related activities) was summarised for the Committee on the 28th April in order to help determine the final short-list.
7. Following consideration of all the information presented, the Committee determined to invite three candidates to attend for final interview on 12th May 2015.
Relevant Issues and Options
8. Attached at Appendix A and B are copies of the agreed Job Description and Person Specification which Members should continue to have regard to in determining which of the candidates most closely meet the essential requirements of the post.
9. Members are asked to bring the application forms of those short-listed candidates to the meeting on the 12th May 2015 in order to assist in the assessment process. Interviews will be conducted under "Part II" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
10. All short-listed candidates will be supplied with a topic in advance of the meeting, on which they will be invited to deliver a 10 minute presentation prior to the start of the interview process.
11. In addition to the above, candidates will be asked to respond to a variety of questions by Members of the Committee and will also be afforded the opportunity to ask questions in respect of the duties and responsibilities of the post.
12. Members will be provided with the details of all the returned references to assist in the determination of a suitable candidate.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
13. The background information relating to this recruitment exercise was set out in the report to this Committee on the 18th March 2015 together with resource implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
15. The Council has a statutory responsibility to designate one of its officers as a Section 151 Officer. The recommendations within this report seek to ensure that this statutory responsibility is fulfilled.
Crime and Disorder Implications
16. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
17. The recruitment process will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
18. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure a sustainable management structure for the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
19. The decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be referred for information to Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
20. Consultation has taken place with the Managing Director, Head of Human Resources, Corporate Management Team. The decision to recruit to the post was endorsed by Cabinet on 23rd February and approved by Council on 4th March 2015
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
21. Corporate Resources.
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
See Paragraph 20 above.
Rob Thomas, Managing Director