Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 15th July 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Senior Management Restructuring - Appointment, Recruitment and Selection Arrangements
Purpose of the Report
1. To set out arrangements to conduct interviews, ratify a match application and approve/progress recruitment and selection arrangements in respect of a number of senior management posts in three Directorates of the Council.
1. To ratify the decision of the Managing Director in relation to the matching application of the current Director of Visible Services and Housing to the new position of Director of Environment & Housing Services as set out in paragraphs 13 to 18 of this report and, as a consequence to confirm his appointment to the new role.
2. To receive an update from the Managing Director in respect of the expressions of interest and applications received for the new posts of Head of Visible Services and Transport and the Head of Regeneration and Planning and to confirm the short-listing and subsequent selection arrangements as appropriate as set out in paragraphs 19 to 23 of this report.
3. To consider applications and conduct interviews of the Head of Human Resources and the Head of Performance and Development and to consider the appointment of one of the applicants to the new position of Senior Head of Service within the Resources Directorate as set out in paragraphs 24 to 30 of this report.
4. To approve the recruitment and selection arrangements for the vacant post of Head of Business Management and Innovation, Directorate of Social Services as set out in paragraphs 31 to 35 of this report.
5. To delegate the residual appointment details in respect of recommendation 1 and 3 to the Managing Director in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the appointment and the recruitment and selection arrangements for each of the above Chief Officer positions are progressed in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. As 1 above.
3. As 1 above.
4. As 1 above.
5. As 1 above.
2. Members will be aware that senior management restructuring arrangements were approved by Cabinet on the 22 June 2015 for services within the Council's Visible Services and Housing Directorate and Development Services Directorate.
3. As part of the restructuring arrangements three new Chief Officer posts were created as follows:-
· Director of Environment and Housing Services.
· Head of Visible Services and Transport.
· Head of Regeneration and Planning.
4. The rationale for the restructuring arrangements and the purpose and remit of the above posts was set out in the Cabinet report on 22nd June 2015.
5. Members will also recall that Cabinet also approved revisions to the senior management arrangements within the Resources Directorate on 22nd June 2015.
6. This included the decision to seek expressions of interest and the submission of formal applications from the Head of Human Resources and the Head of Performance and Development to be considered for the Senior Head of Service role within Resources reporting directly to the Managing Director.
7. In accordance with the above, the Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 2nd July and confirmed the following appointment, selection and recruitment arrangements in respect of each of the above the positions as illustrated paragraphs 13 to 30 below.
8. In addition to the above, Members will be aware of the recent internal appointment of the current Head of Business Management & Innovation to the Head of Finance / Section 151post which will take effect on the 20th July 2015. It is necessary for the Committee to consider arrangements to cover the resulting vacancy which are detailed in paragraphs 31 to 35 below.
Director of Environment and Housing Services
9. In accordance with the decision of this Committee on the 2nd July, the Director of Visible Services and Housing was invited to submit an application, or a matching request for the new position of Director of Environment & Housing Service.
10. The above arrangement was in accordance with the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Policies and is relevant given that the post holder's current role will be deleted as part of the change process.
11. An application to match to the new post was subsequently received from the Director of Visible Services and Housing. This has been considered by the Managing Director and Head of Human Resources and a match in excess of the Council's 70% matching eligibility criteria has been established.
12. The Managing Director will provide a verbal report and circulate associated documentation in support of his "matching" determination at the meeting of the Committee which Members will be invited to ratify.
13. The Committee are asked to ratify the "matching" determination and, as a consequence approve the appointment of the current Director of Visible Services and Housing to the new position of Director of Environment and Housing Services in accordance with the terms agreed by Council on 24th June 2015.
14. For the information of Members a further copy of the job description and person specification for the new post is attached at Appendix A and Appendix B of this report.
Head of Regeneration & Planning and Head of Visible Services and Transport
15. In accordance with the decision of the Committee and in compliance with the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Procedures expressions of interest and applications for the above posts have been requested from the following six directly affected Chief Officers:-
· Operational Manager - Highways and Engineering.
· Operational Manager - Parks and Grounds Maintenance.
· Operational Manager - Leisure and Tourism.
· Operational Manager - Countryside and Economic Projects.
· Operational Manager - Development and Building Control.
· Operational Manager - Planning and Transportation Policy.
16. Expressions of interest and applications for both vacant posts with a defined closing date of the 10th July in relation to the expressions of interest and 10.00 a.m. on the 15th July in respect of any subsequent applications were invited from each of the above Operational Managers. Given the seniority of the posts, the number of potential applicants and the competitive nature of the process, an initial screening exercise will be undertaken at an Assessment Centre prior to final interview by Members. Members will recall that such an approach was agreed at the last meeting of the Committee.
17. A copy of the job descriptions and person specifications for the posts are attached for the information of the Committee (at Appendix C, D, E and F ). The salary for the posts will be in accordance with the Council's Head of Service salary level as approved by Cabinet on 22nd June 2015 and by Council on the 24th June 2015.
18. The Managing Director will provide a verbal report at the meeting of the Committee on the number of applications received against each post, associated information and in particular the availability of candidates. In this regard, Members will be asked to confirm any shortlisting and subsequent selection decisions, as appropriate and to identify possible dates for a future meeting (s) to progress the selection process.
19. Copies of application forms will be made available as appropriate.
Senior Head of Service - Resources Directorate
20. The appointment arrangements for the Senior Head of Service role were approved by Cabinet on the 22 June 2015 and are based on the Hay Group recommendations as agreed previously by Council in December 2014.
21. In accordance with the above, expressions of interest and formal application forms including supporting documentation have been received from both the Head of Human Resources and Head of Performance and Development. The closing date for applications from the above post holders was set as the 10 July 2015. Application forms and supporting documentation will be circulated under separate cover to each Member of the Committee following the closing date.
22. Members are requested to bring the application forms and supporting information for both applicants for this appointment to the meeting of the Committee to assist the selection process. Interviews will be considered and conducted under "Part 2" provisions of Access to Information legislation.
23. In advance of the meeting of the Committee each applicant will have been provided with a topic, on which they will be invited to provide a presentation and to respond to any questions of the Committee.
24. In addition to the above, each applicant will be asked to respond to a variety of questions by Members during the interview. Applicants will equally be afforded the opportunity to ask questions of the Committee and the Managing Director in respect of the roles and responsibilities associated with the appointment
25. To assist Members in their determination copies of the existing Job Descriptions for both the Head of Human Resources and the Head of Performance and Development are attached at Appendix G and H respectively.
26. Members will be aware the remuneration arrangements for this senior role were approved by Council on the 24 June 2015 and, again based on the recommendations from the Hay Group. This will entail a payment of a permanent salary supplement of £9,658 in addition to the current Head of Service salary to the successful applicant.
Head of Business Management and Innovation
27. It is proposed that the post is advertised on a temporary secondment basis only at this stage to enable the Directorate of Social Services to consider the options for some of the functions of the post to be delivered on a regional or corporate basis.
28. A temporary/secondment appointment for a period of 6 months (with an option for review) will provide crucial senior management in the short-term and the opportunity for discussions to take place with partners to develop an agreed way forward.
29. Subject to the agreement of the Committee it is proposed to advertise the post on the above basis for employees internally within the Council, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and the other nine local authorities within the South East Wales Improvement Collaboration.
30. A copy of the job description and person specification for the post is attached at Appendix I and J. The salary for the posts will be in accordance with the Council's published Head of Service grade/salary level.
31. Again it will be necessary to reconvene the Senior Management Appointments Committee at an appropriate point to confirm short listing arrangements as appropriate and then again to conduct final interviews.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
32. The resource implications are referenced in this report and are set out in full within the relevant reports to Cabinet on the 22nd June 2015 and to Council on 24th June 2015.
33. There will be additional costs to facilitate the administration of the Assessment Centre in respect of the Head of Service selection arrangements.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
34. The recruitment arrangements to the posts set out in this report are congruent with the requirements of the Council's Constitution and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
35. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
36. The matching, ring fencing, recruitment and selection proposals set out in this report will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed Recruitment and Selection Policy, Avoiding Redundancy provisions and within the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
37. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements in the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
38. The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
39. Set out in the relevant reports to Cabinet on 22nd June 2015.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
40. Corporate Resources.
Council Report of 17 December 2014
Cabinet Report of 22 June 2015
Council Report of 24 June 2015
Senior Management Appointment Committee Report 2 July 2015
Adrian Unsworth, Operational Manager - Human Resources
See paragraph 43 above.
Rob Thomas, Managing Director