Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 17th August, 2015
Report of the Director of Social Services
Selection Arrangements - Head of Business Management and Innovation (Temporary Appointment or Secondment)
Purpose of the Report
1. To make further arrangements for selection on a temporary or secondment basis only to the post of Head of Business Management and Innovation.
In respect of the Head of Business Management and Innovation post, the Committee is asked to consider applications, shortlist and confirm selection arrangements for the temporary appointment/secondment
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure appointment in accordance with the requirements of the Council's constitution.
2. At its meeting on 15th July, the Committee was informed of the proposal that this post would be advertised on a temporary appointment / secondment basis only at this stage, to enable the Directorate of Social Services to consider the options for some of the functions of the post to be delivered on a regional or corporate basis. It was advised that an appointment for a period of up to 6 months (with an option for review) would provide crucial senior management capacity in the short-term and the opportunity for discussions to take place with partners to develop an agreed way forward. Copies of the job description and person specification for the post were attached to the report as appendices. The recruitment and selection arrangements for the vacant post were approved by the Committee.
3. As agreed, information about the post was made available to employees internally within the Council, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and the other nine local authorities within the South East Wales Improvement Collaboration on 24th July. The closing date for applications was 12th August.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. After the closing date, the Director of Social Services and the Head of Finance will undertake a long-listing exercise in respect of the applications received. They will table for consideration by the Committee their comments about each application and recommendations in regard to those applicants who should go forward for interview.
5. It is proposed that the each shortlisted applicant will be invited to attend a technical interview with the Director and the Head of Finance. Thereafter, it will be necessary to reconvene the Senior Management Appointments Committee at an appropriate point to interview the short-listed candidates and make the final selection decision.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The salary for the post would be in accordance with the Council's published Head of Service grade/salary level.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Recruitment to the post set out in this report is congruent with the requirements of the Council's constitution and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. The selection proposals set out in this report will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed Recruitment and Selection Policy, Avoiding Redundancy provisions and the requirements of The Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
11. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective senior management arrangements.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointments Committee in accordance with the Council's constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. There are no issues in this report that relate to an individual ward.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Philip Evans, Director of Social Services.
Janice Ballentine, Principal Personnel Officer
Corporate Management Team
Director of Social Services