Agenda Item No. 3
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee - 21 August 2015
Report of Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Visible Services and Transport and the Head of Regeneration and Planning
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the Head of Visible Services and Transport and the Head of Regeneration and Planning and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm suitable candidates for appointment.
1. To interview all candidates as short-listed by this Committee on the 15 July 2015 with a view to making appointment to the two posts concerned.
2. To delegate appointment details, as appropriate to the Managing Director in consultation with the Leader of the Council.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that appointment to the two posts proceeds in accordance with the requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. As 1 above.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 15 July 2015 to finalise a short-list of candidates for the post of Head of Visible Services and Transport and the Head of Regeneration and Planning.
3. Members will be aware that both posts were established as part of the senior management restructure as approved by Cabinet on 22 June 2015.
4. The application process has, to date been managed in accordance with the Council's Avoiding Redundancy Procedure. All shortlisted applicants are internal applicants who are affected by the restructuring arrangements.
5. Given the seniority of the posts, all candidates were asked to attend a preliminary Assessment Centre on the 17 August to assess their professional and technical competence in relation to the posts concerned. The Assessment Centre was facilitated by Solace Enterprises.
6. The process included the completion of two on-line psychometric tests, the completion of a range of written/ability tests and technical interviews conducted by the Managing Director and the Director of Environment and Housing Services.
7. All information gathered from the Assessment Centre will be made available to the Committee on the 21 August in order to help with the final selection decisions.
Relevant Issues and Options
8. It is proposed that interviews for the post of Head of Visible Services and Transport are conducted in the morning of the 21 August 2015 and interviews for the post pf Head of Regeneration and Planning in the afternoon of the 21 August 2015.
9. A proposed schedule for the day is set out in Appendix 1.
10. All short-listed candidates have been supplied with a topic on which they will be invited to deliver a 10 minute presentation prior to the start of the interview process.
11. The following documentation is provided to support the interviews for the Head of Visible Services and Transport:-
· Job Description (Appendix 2)
· Person Specification (Appendix 3)
· Presentation Topic (Appendix 4)
12. The following documentation is provided to support the interviews for the Head of Regeneration and Planning
· Job Description (Appendix 5)
· Person Specification (Appendix 6)
· Presentation Topic (Appendix 7)
13. Members are asked to bring the application forms of all short-listed candidates to the meeting on the 21 August 2015 to assist their assessment of the suitability of the candidates for the posts concerned and with reference to the documents set out in paragraphs 11 and 12 above.
14. Interviews will be conducted under "Part 2" provisions of Access to Information legislation
15. A list of suggested interview questions for both posts will be tabled prior to the commencement of the interview process for consideration by Members.
16. Candidates will be afforded the opportunity to ask questions of the Committee in respect of the duties and responsibilities associated with these appointments.
17. Appointment to each of the above posts will be on terms and conditions as prescribed by the Joint Negotiating Committee for Chief Officers of Local Authorities.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
18. The background information relating to this recruitment exercise was set out in the report to this Committee on the 2 July 2015 together with the resource implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
20. The recruitment arrangements for the posts set out in this report are congruent with the requirements of the Council's Constitution and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
21. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
22. The interviews will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
23. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure a sustainable management structure for the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
24. The issues within this report are delegated to the Senior Management Appointment Committee in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
25. Set out in the relevant report to Cabinet on 22 June 2015.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
26. Corporate Resources.
Cabinet Report of 22 June 2015
Council Report of 24 June 2015
Senior Management Appointment Committee Report 2 July 2015
Senior Management Appointment Committee Report 15 July 2015.
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
See Paragraph 25 above.
Rob Thomas, Managing Director