Agenda Item No 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Senior Management Appointment Committee: 30 March 2017
Report of the Managing Director
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Director of Social Services
Purpose of the Report
To provide an update on the recruitment and selection arrangements for the post of Director of Social Services and to ask the Committee to identify and confirm a short-list of candidates for final interview on the 5th April 2017.
To note the information set out in this report and to confirm a short-list of candidates for final interview on the 5th April 2017.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure that the appointment for the post proceeds in accordance with the
requirements of the Council's Constitution.
2. The Senior Management Appointment Committee met on the 9th March 2017 to consider all applications received for the post of Director of Social Services.
3. As a result of the above meeting it was agreed that 3 candidates would be invited for preliminary consideration at an assessment centre on 23rd March 2017.
4. It was agreed that the assessment centre would be facilitated by an external provider and would provide a means of assessing the professional competence and related behaviours of the long-listed candidates through the use of a suite of exercises.
5. The process would be supplemented by additional on-line psychometric and ability testing and a technical interview undertaken by the Managing Director and the current Director of Social Services.
6. It was agreed that the information gathered as part of the assessment centre (and related activities) would be fed-back to this Committee on the 30th March 2017 in order to help determine a final short-list.
Relevant Issues and Options
7. The assessment centre process was successfully conducted on the 23rd March 2017 and attended by all three long-listed candidates.
8. The process was facilitated by a representative from Solace Enterprises and supported (as part of the technical interview) by an external/independent assessor.
9. Both of the above representatives will be in attendance on the 30th March 2017 to provide a summary of the outcome of the assessment centre for each candidate.
9. The Managing Director and current Director of Social Services will also provide a summary of the outcomes from the technical interviews at the meeting on 30th March.
10. The above will help Members to determine a final short-list of candidates for interview by this Committee on the 5th April 2017.
11. Attached at Appendix A and B are copies of the agreed Job Description and Person Specification which Members should continue to use to assist in the assessment of the candidates and the framing of a final short-list.
12. Copies of the application forms for each candidate will be circulated to Members of this Committee under separate cover.
13 The final interviews for the post of Director of Social Services have been scheduled for the 5th April 2017.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
14. The background to this recruitment exercise was set out in a report to this Committee on the 14th February 2017 together with resource implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
16. It is a statutory requirement of the Council to appoint a Director of Social Services. The recommendations in this report seek to ensure that this responsibility is fulfilled.
Crime and Disorder Implications
17. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
18. The recruitment process will be managed in accordance with the Council's equality proofed recruitment and selection policy and the provisions of the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (Wales) Regulations 2014.
19. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure a sustainable management structure for the Council and the delivery of the Council's corporate and service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
20. The decision of the Senior Management Appointments Committee will be referred for information to Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
21. Consultation has taken place with the Managing Director, Head of Human Resources, Corporate Management Team. The decision to recruit to the post was endorsed by Cabinet on 6th February 2017.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Corporate Performance and Resources
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
See paragraph 20 above
Rob Thomas, Managing Director