Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee: 20 April 2015
Report of the Vale of Glamorgan's Director of Development Services
Recruitment and Selection Arrangements for the Head of Shared Regulatory Services
Purpose of the Report
1. To set out arrangements for the final interview schedule for the above post.
1. To conduct interviews on the 20th April 2015 with a view to making appointment to the post of Head of Shared Regulatory Services.
2. To delegate residual appointment details, as appropriate to the Head of Human Resources in consultation with the Leader of the Vale Council and Chair of the Joint Committee.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure appointment to the post in accordance with the delegation given by Council on the 23rd October 2015
2. As above
2. Members will be aware that a decision was taken in October/November 2014 to proceed with the shared Regulatory Service collaboration covering Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan and Cardiff Councils.
3. The decision was taken by Bridgend Council on the 15th October 2014, Cardiff Council on the 23rd October 2014 and Vale of Glamorgan Council on the 12th November 2014.
4. As part of the approval process a new post of Head of Service was established to lead the new service and delegated authority given to this Joint Committee to appoint to the post. It was agreed that the contract for the post would be held by the Vale of Glamorgan in accordance with the agreed 'host employer" arrangements.
5. Members will appreciate the importance of this appointment given the imminent launch of the new service and the need to support the transfer of staff from Bridgend and Cardiff Councils to the Vale of Glamorgan Council on the 1st May 2015.
6. The recruitment process began for the post began on January 2015 with expressions of interest being sought from the three existing Heads of Service from each of the three Councils. Two of the three officers expressed an interest in the post.
7. Those expressing an interest were then invited to an assessment centre on the 13th January 2015 facilitated by SOLACE and supported by representatives from each of the three Councils. As part of this process the two candidates undertook a variety of "on line" psychometric and ability tests alongside a technical interview.
Relevant issues and options
8. The following documentation is attached to support the Joint Committee in finalising the appointment process:-
9. Copies of the application details for the two applicants are attached to the report as set out in Part 2 of this Joint Committee Agenda.
10. The two applicants have been asked to prepare a 10 minute presentation to present at the beginning of their interview. The topic for the presentation is as follows:
"The shared regulatory services function will be facing a range of challenges in the
first two years. What do you feel are those challenges and what will your strategy be
for overcoming those challenges?"
11. A list of suggested interview questions will be tabled at the Joint Committee meeting for consideration and allocation.
12. Appointment to the above role will be on terms and conditions as prescribed by the Joint Negotiating Committee for Chief Officers of Local Authorities. A summary of the main terms and conditions is set out on Appendix 4.
13. The salary for the role will be in accordance with the Vale of Glamorgan's Head of Service salary grade which is currently a five point grade running from £66,123 to £73,472.
14. A representative from SOLACE will attend the Committee meeting on the 20th April to provide independent advice to the Committees and to summarise the findings from the assessment centre day on the 13th January 2015.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
15. Assessment centre costs and officer time to conduct selection process.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
16. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
17. As set out in the report to each Council on 15th October, 23rd October 2014 and 12th November 2014.
Crime and Disorder Implications
18. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
19. The selection process for this post is congruent with the equality principles set out in the Council's recruitment and selection policies and practices.
20. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the effective implementation and development of the shared Regulatory Services function.
Policy Framework and Budget
21. The decision of the Joint Committee will be referred for information as appropriate within each Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
22. Set out in the report to each Council on 15th October, 23rd October and 12th November 2014. The trade unions have been consulted in each Council through the means of a regular Joint Consultation Forum.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
23. Housing and Public Protection (Vale of Glamorgan)
24. Overview and Governance (Bridgend)
25. Environmental and Community and Adult (Cardiff)
26. Reports to each Council as referred to in paragraph 22 above
R Bergman, Head of Human Resources - Tel: 01446 709357.
Managing Director /Chief Executives in each Council
Lead Director Representatives in each Council
R.Bergman, Head of Human Resources - Tel: 01446 709357