Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
ANNUAL MEETING: 14TH MAY, 2014
REPORT OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
EXECUTIVE ARRANGEMENTS – CABINET MEMBERSHIP AND PORTFOLIOS AND PAYMENT OF SENIOR SALARIES
Part 4(A) of the Constitution - "Council Procedure Rules" - provides that the Annual Meeting will be told by the Leader of the names of councillors he/she has chosen to be Deputy Leader and members of the Cabinet.
Article 7 of the Constitution - "The Executive" - provides that "The Executive will consist of the Executive Leader together with at least two, but not more than nine, councillors appointed to The Executive by the Executive Leader".
Under the provisions of the 2014 report of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales, the Vale of Glamorgan Council is able to pay up to a maximum of 18 Senior Salaries to Members in those positions agreed by the Council to receive such. The figure of 18 does not include Civic Salaries able to be paid to a Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
Including Cabinet Members, it is proposed that the Council continue to pay a total of 17 Senior Salaries, together with Civic Salaries to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, as set out below:
· Cabinet Members - 7
· Group Leaders (in respect of Groups comprising 10% or more of the total membership of the Council) - 3
· Scrutiny Committee Chairmen - 5
· Chairman of Planning Committee
· Chairman of Licensing Committee
· Deputy Mayor.
Full details of the relevant payments, together with basic allowances for all Members, will be incorporated within the Council's Constitution.
The Leader has confirmed that, as part of their portfolios, Cabinet Members will be designated as the Council’s "Champions" with regard to the areas indicated below:
Anti-Poverty Champion – Leader
Armed Forces’ Champion – Cabinet Member for Leisure, Parks, Culture and Sport Development
Biodiversity Champion – Cabinet Member for the Environment and Visible Services
Carers’ Champion – Cabinet Member for Adult Services
Diversity Champion – Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety
Equalities Champion – Leader
Older People’s Champion – Cabinet Member for Adult Services
Safeguarding Champion – Cabinet Member for Children’s Services
Superfast Broadband Champion – Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation
It is recommended that the role of the following Champions continue to be undertaken by the position holder indicated:
Scrutiny Champion – Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group
Member Development Champion – Chairman of the Democratic Services Committee
(1) T H A T the Leader inform the Council of the names of Councillors chosen to be Deputy Leader and Members of the Cabinet, together with details of their portfolios and, where appropriate, designation as "Champions".
(2) T H A T the Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group and Chairman of the Democratic Services Committee continue to be designated the Council’s Scrutiny and Member Development Champions respectively.
(3) T H A T the Council's payments of Senior Salaries for 2014/15 be as set out above.
Part 4(A) and Article 7 of the Constitution.
2013 Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.