Agenda Item No. 9
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Annual Meeting: 13th May, 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee: Membership and Appointment of Deputies
Purpose of the Report
1. To confirm the Council's representation on the Joint Committee and to appoint Deputy Members.
1. That the Council's two representatives on the Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee be confirmed as the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety and the Chairman of the Licensing Committee.
2. That Council consider the appointment of Deputies for its two representatives on the Joint Committee.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1&2 To confirm representation on the Committee and, in accordance with the provisions of the Joint Working Agreement, to appoint Deputies to the Council's two existing representatives.
2. The Council's current representatives on the Shared Regulatory Services Joint Committee are the Cabinet Member for Housing, Building Maintenance and Community Safety and the Chairman of the Licensing Committee. These appointments were made by Council on 12th November, 2014.
3. Clause 4.8 of the Joint Working Agreement regarding the Shared Regulatory Services Collaboration, allows for Constituent Authorities to appoint Deputies. If appointed, Deputies are only entitled to attend meetings of the Joint Committee or any Sub-Committee in the absence of his or her corresponding principal. Such a Deputy is then entitled to attend, speak and vote as if that Deputy was a Member of a Joint Committee or any Sub-Committee.
4. Matters considered by the Joint Committee will be decided by a majority vote at meetings of the Committee, with each 'Participant' (i.e. each Constituent Authority, as opposed to each individual Member) having one vote.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. Council is asked to consider appointing two Deputies to attend meetings of the Joint Committee in the event the nominated (named) Member is unable to attend. In doing so, Members are asked to note that at least one of the two initial Members nominated by each Participant (i.e. Constituent Authority) must be a Member of the Executive. It is suggested that this arrangement be 'mirrored' when consideration is given to the appointment of Deputies.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Joint Committee will operate in accordance with the provisions contained in the Joint Working Agreement signed by the three Constituent Authorities.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct implications arising from this report..
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
11. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This is a matter for Council decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no consultation has been necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources (Lead) and Housing and Public Protection.
Report to Council: 12th November, 2014
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager -Democratic Services
Tel: 01446 709408
Head of Legal Services