Agenda Item No. 3
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
ANNUAL MEETING: 11TH MAY, 2016
REPORT OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
ELECTION OF MAYOR
LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1972 - SECTIONS 22 AND 23
(1) The chairman of a principal council shall be elected annually by the council from among the councillors.
(1A) A member of the executive of a principal council may not be elected as the chairman of the council.
(2) The chairman shall, unless he resigns or becomes disqualified, continue in office until his successor becomes entitled to act as chairman.
(3) During his term of office the chairman shall continue to be a member of the council notwithstanding the provisions of this Act relating to the retirement of councillors.
(4) The chairman of a principal council shall have precedence in the area of that council but not so as to affect Her Majesty’s royal prerogative prejudicially.
(5) A principal council may pay the chairman for the purpose of enabling him to meet the expenses of his office such allowance as the council think reasonable.
23. Election of Chairman
(1) The election of the chairman shall be the first business transacted at the annual meeting of a principal council.
(2) If, apart from Section 22(3) above or Section 24(2) below, the person presiding at the meting would have ceased to be a member of the council, he shall not be entitled to vote in the election except in accordance with subsection (3) below.
(3) In the case of an equality of votes, the person presiding at the meeting shall give a casting vote in addition to any other vote he may have.”
At its meeting on 30th October 2002, the Cabinet considered the legal provisions relating to the style of Mayor. Section 25A of the Local Government Act 2000 provides that the Chairman of the Council is entitled to the style of “Mayor” or “Maer”. The Cabinet resolved that the entitlement of the Chairman to the style of “Mayor” or “Maer” be supported and introduced with effect from the Annual Meeting of the Council in 2003.
That the Council elect a Mayor for the ensuing municipal year in accordance with the provisions of Sections 22 and 23 of the Local Government Act 1972.