Agenda Item No
Item which the Chairman has deemed urgent by reason of there being insufficient time to await the next meeting of the Audit Committee
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee: 19th September 2011
Report of the Director of Finance, ICT and Property
Wales Audit Office: Improvement Assessment Update
Purpose of the Report
1. To provide an update of progress by the Wales Audit Office on the various projects in support of their work on the Council’s Improvement Assessment for 2011/12.
That the Committee note the progress made by the Wales Audit Office on their Improvement Assessment work.
Reason for the Recommendation
To keep the Audit Committee informed.
2. The Audit Committee meeting of 2nd June 2011 received a report from Mr. Steve Barry, Improvement Assessment Lead from the Wales Audit Office (WAO), setting out their proposed Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit at the Council for the period April 2011 to March 2012 (Minute No. 85 refers).
3. As a part of this process, the WAO provides the Audit Committee with regular update reports on their progress on the various projects and studies which will inform their work on the Council’s Improvement Assessment. The last update was reported to the Audit Committee meeting of 21st July 2011 (Minute No. 234).
Relevant Issues and Options
4. A further update of the WAO progress is attached at Appendix A. It sets out their intended work plan and a brief status report outlining the position as at 15th September 2011. A representative from the WAO will be in attendance at the Committee to answer any questions in relation to such progress.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
5. The proposed WAO fee for work associated with their Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit in 2011/12 is £133,677 (plus VAT) and will be charged in equal instalments between April 2011 and March 2012.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The work of the WAO is delivered by and on behalf of the Auditor General for Wales under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 (the Measure), the remaining functions of the Local Government Act 1999 and Parts 2 and 3A of the Public Audit (Wales) 2004.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. None as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. None as a direct result of this report.
9. This report is consistent with the Council's corporate objective to ensure effective management of resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This is a matter for consideration by the Audit Committee as those charged with governance.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources.
WAO Regulatory Programme for Performance Audit April 2011 to March 2012
Alan Jenkins, Head of Accountancy & Resource Management
Steve Barry, WAO Improvement Assessment Lead
Sian Davies, Director of Finance, ICT and Property