Agenda Item No 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee 6th February 2014
Report of the Managing Director
2012-13 Local Government Accounts
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the Auditor General for Wales annual Local Government Accounts Report for 2012-13.
That Audit Committee note the content of this Report
Reason for the Recommendation
To facilitate monitoring of the audit function.
2. The Auditor General for Wales appoints auditors to all local government bodies in Wales to audit and issue an opinion on their accounts. The Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004 requires appointed Auditors to examine and certify the accounts, and satisfy themselves that the accounts:-
Give a true and fair view of the audited bodies' financial position;
Comply with all relevant legislative requirements; and
Have been prepared in accordance with proper accounting practices.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. This is the third annual report produced by the Auditor General for Wales on local government bodies' accounts and provides a summary of the results of auditors' work for 2012-13. The report is attached at Appendix A.
4. The Auditor General for Wales provides an overall summary of his conclusion on page 4 of the attached report.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. None directly from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Auditor General for Wales appoints auditors to all local government bodies in Wales to audit and issue an opinion on their accounts. The appointed auditors are required under The Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004 to examine and certify the accounts.
8. None directly from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly from this report.
10. This report is consistent with the Council's corporate objectives to ensure effective management of resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This report is in accordance with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. No further consultation is proposed.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Alan Jenkins - Head of Accountancy and Resource Management
Sian Davies, Managing Director