Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee: 22nd September 2014
Report of the Managing Director
Purpose of the Report
1. To present an update on the Council's External Auditor - Grant Thornton UK LLP report on the review of Contract Monitoring arrangements.
That Audit Committee:
1. Review and note the content of this Report.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To facilitate monitoring of the audit function.
2. The Annual Governance Statement published in September 2013, highlighted key control issues that had been identified as part of the work undertaken by Internal Audit. In particular there were concerns relating to the lack of contractual arrangements within the Waste Management Service and also to the adequacy and effectiveness of the financial and quality monitoring arrangements surrounding partnership arrangements between the Council and the Leisure Centres service provider.
3. Following on from discussions with the Managing Director, the Council's External Auditors - Grant Thornton UK LLP were commissioned to independently examine the key control issues highlighted. This report was presented to the Audit Committee at their meeting of the 7th July 2014.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The External Auditors - Grant Thornton UK LLP's report identified four proposals for improvement and a response in the form of a Management Implementation Plan was sought.
6. The relevant Director has responded formally in writing to the proposals and this is attached at Appendix A. Mr. Rob Thomas, Director of Development Services, will be present at the Audit Committee on 22nd September to provide a more detailed update.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. None directly from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. None directly from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. The work performed is in accordance with statutory functions, the Code of Audit Practice and the Statement of Responsibilities issued by the Auditor General for Wales.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. None directly from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. None directly from this report.
12. This report is consistent with the Council's corporate objectives to ensure effective management of resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This report is in accordance with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. No further consultation is proposed.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Corporate Resources
Alan Jenkins - Head of Finance and Section 151 Officer
Corporate Management Team
Head Finance and Section 151 Officer
Sian Davies, Managing Director