Agenda Item No 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee 24th February 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Update on the Performance Audit Programme 2014-15
Purpose of the Report
1. To present to Members an update on the Performance Audit Programme 2014-15 this is produced by the Wales Audit Office.
That Audit Committee:
1. Note the update on the Performance Audit Programme for 2014-15.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. In order to review and progress the Performance Audit Programme.
2. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and the Local Government Act 1999 requires the Auditor General to carry out an annual Improvement Assessment to determine whether the Vale of Glamorgan is likely to comply with the requirements of Part 1 of the measure. This involves
- a review of the Council's arrangements to secure continuous improvement;
- improvement studies of areas which may hinder improvement or transformation or give rise to inefficiencies;
- bespoke pieces of work related to the Council's improvement objectives and arrangements; and
- an audit of the Council's published improvement plans and its self assessment of performance.
3. The Performance Audit Programme outlines work to be undertaken in the Council between April 2014 and March 2015 by and on behalf of the Auditor General under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and Parts 2 and 3A of the Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. A copy of the Performance Audit Programme update is attached at Appendix A.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The implementation of the Performance Audit Programme requires considerable staff resources. The recommendations of audit and inspection can also place burdens on both financial and staff resources. In common with all other local authorities, the Council will be considering some challenging options for future service delivery given current and likely future settlements.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly from this Performance Audit Programme.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Council has a duty to improve under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009 and the Local Government Act 1999.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly from this Performance Audit Programme.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly from this Performance Audit Programme.
10. Service improvement has clear links to the Council's role in community leadership as outlined in the Corporate Plan 2013/2017
Policy Framework and Budget
11. The proposals in this report are in accordance with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. None at this stage.
Vale of Glamorgan Performance Audit Programme for 2014-15
Alan Jenkins, Head of Finance and Section 151 Officer
Corporate Management Team
Head of Finance and Section 151 Officer
Sian Davies, Managing Director