Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
AUDIT COMMITTEE: 24 APRIL 2017
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 20 FEBRUARY 2017
C3471 WALES AUDIT OFFICE CORPORATE ASSESSMENT REPORT 2016 INCORPORATING THE ANNUAL IMPROVEMENT REPORT 2015/16: PROGRESS AGAINST PROPOSALS FOR IMPROVEMENT (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -
Cabinet was informed of the progress in implementing the proposals for improvement as included by the Wales Audit Office (WAO) in their Corporate Assessment.
The Implementation Plan was attached at Appendix A to the report, and referred to the progress made since September 2016 against the five Proposals for Improvement.
Performance Management - Two Proposals for Improvement related to Performance Management as detailed in the Implementation Plan attached at Appendix A to the report. A considerable amount of work had been implemented over the last 12 months in relation to the Council's Performance Management Framework.
The Corporate Plan - was monitored on a quarterly basis by an overarching Corporate Health report presented to the Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committee.
Finance - A Proposal for Improvement related to the need to include detailed savings reports as part of the wider budget monitoring process and that there should be an identification of these savings proposals that related to Reshaping Services. As a result, more detail was now included in budget monitoring reports and the same reports identified the progress made against Reshaping Services savings.
ICT - A Proposal for Improvement related to the need to progress a vision and objectives for the service. This work had progressed and a draft strategy was attached at Appendix B to the report.
Asset Management - A Proposal for Improvement required the acceleration of the gathering of buildings and compliance data and thereafter rolling out compliance training. This work had been monitored by the Corporate Management Team and required completion (Implementation Plan) by March 2017. Progress was being made in recording compliance data in relation to the Council's housing stock and the situation had also been monitored by the Council's Head of Audit Services.
In addition, the Proposals for Improvement relating to Financial Resilience had also been updated to reflect the current position.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the content of the report and the progress being made against the Proposals for Improvement as outlined in the Implementation Plan attached at Appendix A to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the current position with reference to the Draft ICT Strategy be noted and the work undertaken to produce the Draft ICT Strategy having regard to ongoing progress on a Digital Strategy be endorsed.
(3) T H A T a copy of the report be referred to Audit Committee for consideration.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note progress against the Proposals for Improvement.
(2) To note and endorse the position with regards to the Draft ICT Strategy.
(3) To ensure that Audit Committee considers the report.
Attached - Report to Cabinet: 20 February, 2017