Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting 7th September 2011
Report of the Leader
Review of the Corporate Plan 2010-14
Purpose of the Report
1. This report seeks Cabinet endorsement of a revised Corporate Plan for 2010-14.
1. That Cabinet endorses the draft revised Corporate Plan for 2010-14.
2. That the draft Plan be referred to all Scrutiny Committees for comment
3. That the draft Plan be re-submitted for Cabinet approval and then referred to Council for approval.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure the Council has an effective and up to date Corporate Pan which reflects the work being undertaken across the Council to improve the quality of life in the Vale of Glamorgan.
2. The current Corporate Plan was approved in 2010 and sets out a four year vision for the Council. The Plan is structured around seven corporate priorities and thirty four Improvement Objectives.
3. A report highlighting progress with the implementation of the Corporate Plan was reported to Cabinet in May 2011.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Plan has been updated to inform service planning for 2012/13, which will commence in October 2011, and to assist with the drafting of the Medium Term Financial Plan. The update has been done taking account of the revised Community Strategy for 2011-2021. A more comprehensive review and consultation will be undertaken in 2012.
5. A revised Corporate Plan (Appendix I) has now been produced to ensure clarity over what activities need to be undertaken to deliver the agreed Improvement Objectives, what activities need to be revised and any changes in timeframes. Details of which actions in the Plan have been deleted or amended are provided in Appendix II together with the reasons.
6. A number of new activities which support the delivery of the Improvement Objectives have also been included in the revised Corporate Plan and are prefixed 'Proposed New Action'.
7. Improvement Objectives have not been amended as there has not been sufficient time to consult and these will be reviewed in 2012.
8. The Plan has also been amended to include reference to a number of new initiatives e.g. work with Bridgend County Borough Council, greater emphasis on partnership working and area working.
9. The Plan will be submitted for comment to all Scrutiny Committees. It will then be ratified by Cabinet before being submitted to Council for approval. In addition, an open session for all Members has been arranged for the 21st September 2011.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
10. All actions set out in this plan either have resources committed to their achievement or the likely prospect of such resources being made available in the plan period. Some of the actions however are dependent, wholly or partly, on funding from external sources; such actions are indicated by anà. The financial implications will be further clarified as the draft Plan undergoes review.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. None directly.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. None directly.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. The revised Plan will be published bi-lingually.
14. The Corporate Plan contains the Council's key corporate and service objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. The revised Corporate Plan will be submitted to Council for approval on 28th September 2011.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. The report affects all wards, and individual Member consultation is therefore not appropriate. All Heads of Service have been consulted on the Plan.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. All Scrutiny Committees.
Vale of Glamorgan Council Corporate Plan 2010-14
Huw Isaac - Head of Performance and Development
Corporate Management Team
All Heads of Service
Responsible Officer: Huw Isaac - Head of Performance and Development