Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet 07 September 2011
Leader of the Council
Purpose of the Report
1. To agree a revised protocol for the use of photography for publicity and media use.
1. To agree the revised photography protocol.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to achieve the greatest exposure of the Council and to achieve value for money from the photography budget.
2. A photography protocol was agreed by Cabinet at its meeting on 25 April 2007. It is closely linked to the External Communications Strategy, which aims to protect and enhance the reputation of the Council.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The protection of the Council's reputation is a key priority for the corporate Communications Team. However, all services, along with elected members, have a responsibility for good external communications and should endeavour, through their activities, to maintain and enhance the Council's reputation.
4. The photography protocol provides formal guidelines for staff and members in the use of photography as a promotional tool. The protocol (attached at appendix A) has been reviewed to ensure that it remains up-to-date and addresses issues arising from the use of new technology.
5. The protocol outlines best practice and provides guidelines to services on how to use photography for promotional and media purposes. It addresses the responsibilities and costs associated with the use of photography and outlines how and when to seek advice from the Communications Team.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
6. The protocol provides guidance on getting the best value from expenditure on photography.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The protocol reflects the Council's obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. There are no crime and disorder implications of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. There are no equalities implications.
10. To provide leadership in representing and promoting the interests of the local community and engage effectively with citizens and stakeholders.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. None - this is a corporate matter.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources
Beverly Noon, Policy Officer - Corporate Policy and Communications Telephone 01446 709746
Responsible Officer: John Maitland Evans