Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 21st September 2011
Report of the Cabinet Member for Human Resources & Equalities
Corporate Occupational Health and Safety Strategy 2011-2016
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet approval to formally adopt the revised Corporate Occupational Health & Safety Strategy for 2011-2016..
2. That Cabinet formally approve the Strategy for immediate adoption and that it is
promoted to staff using all internal communication channels.
Reasons for the Recommendations
3. To assist the Council in meeting its duties under the Health and Safety at Work etc
Act 1974 and to ensure it is brought to the attention of all staff.
4. The Council's previous strategy was developed in 2006 and based on the Health & Safety Executive's (HSE) 'Revitalising Health and Safety' document. In light of the HSE's new 'Strategy for Health and Safety in Great Britain', the council's previous Strategy was in need of review.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The Council's revised Strategy has regard to the HSE's new document and builds
on the many strengths we already have in place. It concentrates on the main goals of the
HSE's new Strategy namely: strong leadership; competence; worker involvement; creating
healthier and safer workplaces and setting priorities. It also indicates how the Council will achieve these.
6. The adoption of this Strategy will provide further focus towards effective management of health and safety.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
7. Any financial implications will be met from within existing budgets.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, the Council has a duty to
protect the health, safety and welfare of its employees.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct Crime and Disorder implications as a result of this strategy.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no direct Equal Opportunities implications as a result of this strategy.
11. Protecting the health, safety and welfare of all employees will have an impact
throughout all areas of the Corporate / Service Objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. The Strategy has been approved by Corporate Management Team.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
Andrea Davies - Corporate Health & Safety Officer Tel: 01446 709361
Corporate Management Team
Sian Davies, Director of Finance, ICT & Property