Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 21st September 2011
Report of the Cabinet Member for Human Resources & Equalities
Health and Safety Annual Report 2010 / 2011
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Cabinet of the Council's published health and safety annual report.
2. That Cabinet endorse the content of the annual report and support the priorities
for 2011 / 2012.
Reasons for the Recommendations
3. To show that the Council appreciates the need to monitor and improve health and
4. The law requires us to monitor our arrangements for controlling health and safety
risks; it does not require us to include health and safety information in any published
reports. However, it is good practice to do so and shows we appreciate the need to
monitor and improve health and safety performance.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. Managing corporate risks is a key issue for all organisations and the Council must have systems in place to manage them.
7. The health and safety information in the annual report demonstrates our commitment to effective health and safety risk management. It shows we are alert to the need to monitor and improve our health and safety performance.
8. The health and safety annual report measures the Council's progress against its Strategy and identified health and safety priorities for the forthcoming year.
9. Future annual reports will allow comparisons to be made to previous years to
ensure we are continually improving.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
7. Any financial implications will be met from within existing budgets.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, the Council has a duty protect the health, safety and welfare of its employees.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct Crime and Disorder implications as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no direct Equal Opportunities implications as a result of this report.
11. Protecting the health, safety and welfare of all employees will have an impact
throughout all areas of the Corporate / Service Objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. The Annual Report has been endorsed by Corporate Management Team.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
Andrea Davies - Corporate Health & Safety Officer Tel: 01446 709361
Corporate Management Team
Director of Finance, ICT & Property